Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SW_Mustang
    replied
    I can say with certainty that I would stop supporting MSU as my #2 school if they moved to D1 - just have zero interest watching them play against the University of San Diego in football over Duluth or whatever a "Drake" is in basketball over SMSU.

Not that my dollars matter that much anyway, but still...

Leave a comment:

• laker
    replied
    Originally posted by Inkblot View Post
    I don't see the Mavs going to the OVC for any reason. Summit would be the one that makes sense if they made the jump.

Leave a comment:

• njmav1
    replied
    Originally posted by Inkblot View Post
    I'd think that all four schools mentioned would need to raise a ton of money- in addition to MSU being able to somehow finance a suitable football stadium.

Now I don't think they'd necessarily need a fancy new stadium. MSU would need one that was simply nice enough.

Leave a comment:

• njmav1
    replied
    Originally posted by Supercal95 View Post
    I have no idea why our administration would drag their feet on trying to improve the perception of the university only to end up up in the OVC. It's not like the Summit wouldn't take us if we actually bothered to commit. Our old rivals and peer institutions are mostly in the Summit. If we are worried about being murdered in the MVFC and laughed at for Blakeslee Stadium, then I get that.

But travel will be a massive pain and I just can't see our historically extremely uninspired administration wanting to have kids out of class longer than necessary (our AD has been great but our new President is from DII CSU-East Bay) But whatever gets up up to D1 I guess.

There are 2 public system flagships left in D2, us and Alaska. We spend nearly as much on athletics as UL-Monroe does of the FBS Sun Belt Conference. We are top 10 in enrollment and athletoc success in D2, yet other Universities jump at the opportunity while we sit here and do nothing. We aren't even an R-institution which is pretty amusing for a state which pretends to have better academics than it's neighbors.

Sorry for the rant.

Edit: Actually I have to imagine MVFC football was a major hangup due to not being able to fund the full 63 scholarships and lack of adequate football facilities. In that case the OVC skeleton is much preferred as it will be a significantly cheaper conference to deal with. Morehead State might be pressured to join in football again and that's an easy victory. Mix in a few GLVC/GLIAC call ups and I think we can be competitive right away. Summit olympics/OVC football would be preferred but they might not take that and want us OVC all-sports.
    MSU is a hockey school. The only reason to move up to D1 is to protect the hockey program (or possibly improve it's position).

Leave a comment:

• Supercal95
    replied
    I have no idea why our administration would drag their feet on trying to improve the perception of the university only to end up up in the OVC. It's not like the Summit wouldn't take us if we actually bothered to commit. Our old rivals and peer institutions are mostly in the Summit. If we are worried about being murdered in the MVFC and laughed at for Blakeslee Stadium, then I get that.

But travel will be a massive pain and I just can't see our historically extremely uninspired administration wanting to have kids out of class longer than necessary (our AD has been great but our new President is from DII CSU-East Bay) But whatever gets up up to D1 I guess.

There are 2 public system flagships left in D2, us and Alaska. We spend nearly as much on athletics as UL-Monroe does of the FBS Sun Belt Conference. We are top 10 in enrollment and athletoc success in D2, yet other Universities jump at the opportunity while we sit here and do nothing. We aren't even an R-institution which is pretty amusing for a state which pretends to have better academics than it's neighbors.

Sorry for the rant.

Edit: Actually I have to imagine MVFC football was a major hangup due to not being able to fund the full 63 scholarships and lack of adequate football facilities. In that case the OVC skeleton is much preferred as it will be a significantly cheaper conference to deal with. Morehead State might be pressured to join in football again and that's an easy victory. Mix in a few GLVC/GLIAC call ups and I think we can be competitive right away. Summit olympics/OVC football would be preferred but they might not take that and want us OVC all-sports.
    Last edited by Supercal95; 10-21-2021, 12:24 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Inkblot
    replied
    Matt Brown said this on CSNBBS:

I've been told that four DII schools that have been tied to the OVC are: Grand Valley (FB only), Southern Indiana, Lincoln Memorial and Minnesota State.

Nobody is pulling the trigger right now. They are exploring the possibility...even if they have the relevant stakeholders on campus ready to move up, I believe all four would need some other external things to happen before they can move up.

Leave a comment:

• Twincitiesmav
    replied
    Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post

Have there been any rumors that the powerful people are discussing a new stadium or that the 2nd largest university in a state of over 5 million human beings are considering D1. Iowa with less than half of the population has 3 D1 schools. 4 with Drake.

Leave a comment:

• vikingfaithful
    replied
    Have there been any rumors that the powerful people are discussing a new stadium or that the 2nd largest university in a state of over 5 million human beings are considering D1. Iowa with less than half of the population has 3 D1 schools. 4 with Drake.

Leave a comment:

• Twincitiesmav
    replied
    Originally posted by laker View Post

I like it, especially because the visitors side LOOKS like a college stadium instead of an afterthought.

Leave a comment:

• laker
    replied
    Originally posted by Supercal95 View Post
    http://i.redd.it/bty2fcmuiuu21.pngSorry, I like stadiums.
    I like it, especially because the visitors side LOOKS like a college stadium instead of an afterthought.

Leave a comment:

• Supercal95
    replied
    http://i.redd.it/bty2fcmuiuu21.png

I made this stadium design a few years ago, but it seems like it meets the criteria of what a lot of us want. It has a nice berm down to the field on the north side along with a nice video board. And the stadium can be easily expanded for a FCS move if needed. It's close to the field so maybe we could move it back a little, and it still has good sightlines. The press box/suites are built much more modern. It also can have team locker rooms and team offices. Altogether it fits the theme set by modern campus architecture and Taylor Center, with a price tag of around $30 million which is what that free press article was probably the budget by the administration. It would be a real gem for the University to show off.

Sorry, I like stadiums.

Leave a comment:

• UMary1
    replied
    Originally posted by Otis Day View Post

This one is news to me. Not surprised at all but I still shake my head seeing my former head coach (and a few of my former assistants) names get tossed around for P5 jobs. Pretty cool. Wazzu is more likely than the the few people who tossed his name out for USC on a message board an an option, however unrealistic. I feel like he's just getting something going in Fresno though, especially with last year with COVID being his first that he would continue to grow the Bulldog program first before making a jump anywhere.
    Agreed, I think a lot of these carousel articles tend to be click bait at times but its still good to have him mentioned. I think he'll stick around Fresno, like you said hes got something going there. Dickert runs the table and wins out, gets along with the AD who knows, could stay on. A ton of variables.

Leave a comment:

• Otis Day
    replied
    Originally posted by UMary1 View Post

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...football-coach

Kalen is really on the rise these days. Sioux Falls has been mentioned a lot.
    This one is news to me. Not surprised at all but I still shake my head seeing my former head coach (and a few of my former assistants) names get tossed around for P5 jobs. Pretty cool. Wazzu is more likely than the the few people who tossed his name out for USC on a message board as an option, however unrealistic. I feel like he's just getting something going in Fresno though, especially with last year with COVID being his first that he would continue to grow the Bulldog program first before making a jump anywhere.
    Last edited by Otis Day; 10-20-2021, 08:55 AM.

Leave a comment:

• UMary1
    replied
    Originally posted by Twincitiesmav View Post

Definitely an unusual and tough circumstance to come into but I also hope he does well to keep the job!

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...football-coach

Kalen is really on the rise these days. Sioux Falls has been mentioned a lot.

Leave a comment:

• Twincitiesmav
    replied
    Originally posted by laker View Post
    The other day my brother asked what happened to the guy who hit Kolstad in 2014. Well, he is back in jail. What still bothers me is that he got what he deserved but Nelson, who kicked him in the head when Kolstad was down, got off with nothing. The last that I heard about Nelson was that he played at East Carolina. I always thought that he was the most at fault.

Trevor Shelley going to prison after violating probation | kare11.com

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X