Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

A game against *checks notes* "Drake" is really that much of a box office hit?
    Ask UNO if they see an attendance grow or shrink now that they are D1. I guarantee attendance goes up

Comment

• Originally posted by zimmy21 View Post

Ask UNO if they see an attendance grow or shrink now that they are D1. I guarantee attendance goes up
      Their football attendance? I heard that took the biggest drop after the move.

I can agree with you on basketball though, if that's what you were referencing. That's going to go up by a noticeable amount thanks to their opponents.
      Last edited by SW_Mustang; 10-06-2019, 06:18 PM. Reason: Gramnar

Comment

I can agree with you on basketball though, if that's what you were referencing. That's going to go up by a noticeable amount thanks to their opponents.
        I wonder if they still show their back to back national championship wrestling trophies in the case, or if they threw them out when they changed the locks on the locker room door?

Comment

• Originally posted by laker View Post

I wonder if they still show their back to back national championship wrestling trophies in the case, or if they threw them out when they changed the locks on the locker room door?
          I'm sure they show them off. That's kinda sad, really...

Comment

• Originally posted by zimmy21 View Post

Comment

• I can't remember what school it was but there was a D1 commuter school in a big metro area that drew 100 or so fans a game. I'll find it after work.

Comment

• Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post

Still think UST would use Summit as a stepping stone to bigger conference.
                Could be an eventual fit for the Big East and stay in the Pioneer for football.

Comment

UNO dropped football and wrestling at the same, so there was no D1 football. Basketball attendance around 2000 on average. Hockey around 6000 average.

Comment

UNO dropped football and wrestling at the same, so there was no D1 football. Basketball attendance around 2000 on average. Hockey around 6000 average.
                    UNO could've built a successful FCS program IMHO. Unfortunately football loses a lot of money. Has UNL ever looked into starting a hockey program?

Comment

• Originally posted by StateU View Post

UNO could've built a successful FCS program IMHO. Unfortunately football loses a lot of money. Has UNL ever looked into starting a hockey program?
                      I think that there was some kind of deal. UNO drop football and have hockey instead. But that beautiful new building that UNL has can be used for hockey- the BIG would love to have another hockey team.

Sounds like Illinois will be starting up a team.

Comment

• Originally posted by laker View Post

I think that there was some kind of deal. UNO drop football and have hockey instead. But that beautiful new building that UNL has can be used for hockey- the BIG would love to have another hockey team.

Sounds like Illinois will be starting up a team.
                        Illinois? Interesting. I heard that St Thomas is joining the SEC, so anything is possible, I guess :)

Comment

• Originally posted by StateU View Post

Illinois? Interesting. I heard that St Thomas is joining the SEC, so anything is possible, I guess :)
                          https://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...iou-story.html

http://www.startribune.com/illinois-...ram/511520342/

Comment

Exactly. Their football attendance took a huge drop, because there is no football program to watch.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post

I'd be curious to know why you think the Summit League wouldn't be interested in taking two teams. Just because one has received an invite doesn't mean the other automatically won't. It's not like there is a one-team invite limit that I'm aware of.
                              Well here is my thinking... With the addition of UST they will have 10 teams, a solid even number. Unless Western is serious about dropping to D2 for financial reasons it makes no sense for the Summit League to add an 11th member and once again have an unbalanced league right away. And like I said, I think it tables the Augie talks for a few years. I wasn't implying that it doesn't happen just that the addition of UST delays any addition of Augie for the a few years (I think 5+ personally).

Comment

• Originally posted by Augieholic View Post

1.) What sort of authority does the University of Minnesota have over a private university and the NCAA?
                                2.) Highly unlikely a school like St Thomas makes this announcement without knowing how it ends. That would be PR suicide.
                                3.) Is there a membership limit for the Summit League?
                                1) You'd be surprised how much power and pull big universities have in a state, especially when they are the only large university in the state. There is a reason why Cincinnati is in the AAC and not the Big Ten.
                                2) It's actually very likely that any school that needs the PR would announce this move before an NCAA decision had been reached. By doing so they get, got, national exposure, and showed that they do indeed have an invite in hand and are ready to make the move ASAP. By not announcing first they would have been in an even bigger pickle.
                                3) Not that I am aware of, but 10 is a much easier number to work with when it comes to schedules and other conference related things than an uneven number.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X