Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2019 SMSU Mustangs: Let's ride!

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    Originally posted by Otis Day View Post
    So will Nava be back on Saturday Mustang fans??? Or will we see someone else?
    I believe Nava will start. I think Bauman is also back so both might play

    Comment


    • #62
      So after 3 games, our opponents are averaging 337 rushing yards per game! While, SMSU is averaging only 18 yards rushing per game! I can't believe how God-Awful that is. I know Mankato and Sioux falls are traditionally strong teams but we didn't fare any better against WSC. Please get out of the 3-4 defense and do whatever it takes to establish the running game on offense.

      These next 2 games (Upper Iowa and Minot) will decide the trajectory of the season.

      Comment


      • #63
        Originally posted by 212 Degrees View Post
        So after 3 games, our opponents are averaging 337 rushing yards per game! While, SMSU is averaging only 18 yards rushing per game! I can't believe how God-Awful that is. I know Mankato and Sioux falls are traditionally strong teams but we didn't fare any better against WSC. Please get out of the 3-4 defense and do whatever it takes to establish the running game on offense.

        These next 2 games (Upper Iowa and Minot) will decide the trajectory of the season.
        Unfortuneatly, for 2 years in a row now, the even "earlier trajectory game" has been with Wayne State, and SMSU has dropped that game both years. Realizing that in order to get a winning season we have to typically beat the non-upper tier teams in the south division (Wayne certainly being one of them) and defeat the beatable teams in the weaker North division. We have come out two years in a row now and played Kato tough. Holding our own. Then for 2 years in a row we have dropped the Wayne State game, which has been a huge opportunity for momentum forward in both years. Beating the nationally ranked teams in the South will happen occasionally, but rarely. I agree with "212" - if SMSU loses the next two weeks, we will be lucky to get a win the rest of the way. Getting healthy at QB, would help.

        Comment


        • #64
          Originally posted by 212 Degrees View Post
          So after 3 games, our opponents are averaging 337 rushing yards per game! While, SMSU is averaging only 18 yards rushing per game! I can't believe how God-Awful that is. I know Mankato and Sioux falls are traditionally strong teams but we didn't fare any better against WSC. Please get out of the 3-4 defense and do whatever it takes to establish the running game on offense.

          These next 2 games (Upper Iowa and Minot) will decide the trajectory of the season.
          I hate to beat a dead horse (pun intended?) and you fans likely already know this, but to me this remains SMSU's glaring weakness. The guys up front are just not there.

          I was shocked with how easily the Coo O-line blew off the SMSU D-line watching Saturday and frankly, it was the exact same way when I played 6 years ago. And I was an undersized o-lineman. This is likely all systematic with the lower number of scholarships affecting recruiting. But man, if you guys could ever get a team to compliment some of the skill guys and offenses you've put together, it'd be fun. Hope y'all can piece it together in the future. As a SWMN native I really hope the USF-SMSU games blossom, especially with Augie leaving.

          Comment


          • #65
            Originally posted by DAWGS View Post

            Unfortuneatly, for 2 years in a row now, the even "earlier trajectory game" has been with Wayne State, and SMSU has dropped that game both years. Realizing that in order to get a winning season we have to typically beat the non-upper tier teams in the south division (Wayne certainly being one of them) and defeat the beatable teams in the weaker North division. We have come out two years in a row now and played Kato tough. Holding our own. Then for 2 years in a row we have dropped the Wayne State game, which has been a huge opportunity for momentum forward in both years. Beating the nationally ranked teams in the South will happen occasionally, but rarely. I agree with "212" - if SMSU loses the next two weeks, we will be lucky to get a win the rest of the way. Getting healthy at QB, would help.
            correct

            Comment


            • #66
              Originally posted by DAWGS View Post

              Unfortuneatly, for 2 years in a row now, the even "earlier trajectory game" has been with Wayne State, and SMSU has dropped that game both years. Realizing that in order to get a winning season we have to typically beat the non-upper tier teams in the south division (Wayne certainly being one of them) and defeat the beatable teams in the weaker North division. We have come out two years in a row now and played Kato tough. Holding our own. Then for 2 years in a row we have dropped the Wayne State game, which has been a huge opportunity for momentum forward in both years. Beating the nationally ranked teams in the South will happen occasionally, but rarely. I agree with "212" - if SMSU loses the next two weeks, we will be lucky to get a win the rest of the way. Getting healthy at QB, would help.
              Agreed. It's tough sledding after these 2 games. I think Upper Iowa and Minot are in the same boat and are thinking the game vs. SMSU is a must-win too.

              Comment


              • #67
                Originally posted by Otis Day View Post

                I hate to beat a dead horse (pun intended?) and you fans likely already know this, but to me this remains SMSU's glaring weakness. The guys up front are just not there.

                I was shocked with how easily the Coo O-line blew off the SMSU D-line watching Saturday and frankly, it was the exact same way when I played 6 years ago. And I was an undersized o-lineman. This is likely all systematic with the lower number of scholarships affecting recruiting. But man, if you guys could ever get a team to compliment some of the skill guys and offenses you've put together, it'd be fun. Hope y'all can piece it together in the future. As a SWMN native I really hope the USF-SMSU games blossom, especially with Augie leaving.
                Yup. I saw that during the game. Both lines (DL and OL) were just manhandled. We appeared confident that we had 3 starting OLineman returning but the rushing performance seems the same as last year. The DLine (if you look at the roster/weights) just seems too small. That has to be a point of emphasis going forward.

                Comment


                • #68
                  Is it a bad sign when the rushing offense is the second worst in Division II and the rushing defense is the worst in Division II?

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
                    Is it a bad sign when the rushing offense is the second worst in Division II and the rushing defense is the worst in Division II?
                    Not for everyone.

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
                      Is it a bad sign when the rushing offense is the second worst in Division II and the rushing defense is the worst in Division II?

                      Yup................

                      Comment


                      • #71
                        A win's a win, but the stats page made this one look kind of ugly.

                        Still, four rushing TDs including a big Max Simmons run and two from the freshman Duce Reynolds is nice. I bet that Pick 6 was sweet too.

                        Comment


                        • #72
                          A win's a win I suppose. There was no live stats for the bulk of the game and I couldn't get the feed to work, so all I have is the Twitter updates.

                          Sounded a little rocky though... Where is Nava? Why are they running with both Boyer and Herrera? Sounded like Herrera did have a really nice 49-yard TD pass though. And another Duce TD.

                          Comment


                          • #73
                            Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post
                            Sounded a little rocky though... Where is Nava? Why are they running with both Boyer and Herrera? Sounded like Herrera did have a really nice 49-yard TD pass though. And another Duce TD.
                            Guessing Nava's still hurt?

                            Comment


                            • #74
                              Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post

                              Guessing Nava's still hurt?
                              Boyer started, got banged up, Herrera came in in relief, then Boyer finished.

                              Comment


                              • #75
                                Carter Kirk was listed in the XFL Draft Pool.

                                I think it's a longshot, but still very awesome. Best of luck to him.

                                Comment

                                Ad3

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X