Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NSIC - Week 5 Chat

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Thunder View Post


    One thing I wanted to ask of any former players on the board is what is typically the condition of the visitors locker rooms in the NSIC? I'm not even really sure where the visitors are at in the new stadium, but I believe they are using some old locker room that was already in the Barnett Center. It has to be tight for a full football team.
    For the majority of the schools, the visitors locker rooms are pretty bad. In the case of roughly half of them, they take the locker rooms of smaller sports like basketball and throw the visiting team into multiple locker rooms. Its pretty common to have 20 guys in a basketball locker, 20 in another basketball locker, and then have the remaining guys in some other random locker. In almost all places, the air "conveniently" never is on or doesn't work. I know they no longer play football but Crookston would throw a curtain up in their weight room and call it good while other sports teams did their workouts up there As far as Northern, I'm not 100% certain but I believe the opposing team uses the locker room designated for the swim team, which would explain why they enter the stadium from the direction that they do.

    Comment


    • #17
      Who did I take in the Key to the City game....find out..here..
      NSIC Week Five Preview - 2021 (d2football.com)

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post
        Who did I take in the Key to the City game....find out..here..
        NSIC Week Five Preview - 2021 (d2football.com)
        Another great summary of the weekend ahead for the NSIC. The one thing that still amazes me about the Wolves season so far is how explosive this team looks. They have speed and size uncommon to NSU football. I absolutely agree with Witt that this could be a "trap" game for the Wolves. I hope they come out ready to play in front of the huge crowd and blow Mary away early.

        Comment


        • #19
          Witt picking AU 15 points over USF is excessive in my way of thinking. Although we fans of USF and AU are congenial towards one another the players run into each other in restaurants and clubs regularly. They have no love for one another and would love to kick a$$ this Saturday. My way of thinking is a close game down to the wire.

















          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post
            Who did I take in the Key to the City game....find out..here..
            NSIC Week Five Preview - 2021 (d2football.com)
            This part alone is what is making this year exciting, IMO anyway. Some numbers come from necessity, but the NSIC finally has the QBs/WRs that can make that happen. It also benefits the playoff teams to see more diverse offenses in conference play.

            The NSIC is seeing record high passing numbers as Moorhead-Bemidji-Northern-Mary are in the top 5 nationally. Just a few years ago the NSIC didn’t have one team throwing for 300 yards per contest, now there’s 4 programs averaging 330 yards per game.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post

              This part alone is what is making this year exciting, IMO anyway. Some numbers come from necessity, but the NSIC finally has the QBs/WRs that can make that happen. It also benefits the playoff teams to see more diverse offenses in conference play.

              The NSIC is seeing record high passing numbers as Moorhead-Bemidji-Northern-Mary are in the top 5 nationally. Just a few years ago the NSIC didn’t have one team throwing for 300 yards per contest, now there’s 4 programs averaging 330 yards per game.
              Just 5 years ago Mary was in the top 5 for rushing.. funny how coaching changes change things.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Twincitiesmav View Post

                Just 5 years ago Mary was in the top 5 for rushing.. funny how coaching changes change things.
                Agree. But mainly it’s just coaches/programs finally catching up to modern football. Successful programs don’t go through identity changes that often.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Thunder View Post

                  One thing I wanted to ask of any former players on the board is what is typically the condition of the visitors locker rooms in the NSIC? I'm not even really sure where the visitors are at in the new stadium, but I believe they are using some old locker room that was already in the Barnett Center. It has to be tight for a full football team. They also walk in from outside the stadium (but it's not a long walk). I know visitor amenities are typically not great (see Iowa's pink visitors locker room) so I'm curious how Northern's visitors compare to the rest of the conference. As for the visiting fan side, it does have a little bit of a high school feel to it, especially when compared to the other side of the stadium. But for most instances it will be more than sufficient. We don't have a cross-town USF-Augie game to worry about. Perhaps if we reach the lofty status some people hope for we will see more visiting fans for big games to. But I feel a 7000 seat stadium is a great size for what NSU football desires to become.
                  As of 8 years ago most of the visitors locker rooms we were placed in were in the basketball or rec facilities, very few were at the stadiums proper. WSU, Minot, UIU, SMSU, and Wayne were like this if I recall correctly. St. Cloud (RIP) is one of the few that I remember was actually large, comfortable, and at the stadium. WSU and Minot for example involved long walks to the stadium. Minot being the worst, navigating the stairs of the MSU Dome in cleats to a tiny women's basketball locker room or something. If a long walk was involved that usually meant we'd just gather at halftime in a large space near the stadium instead of trekking all the way back. WSU had a changing room under the grandstand and at Kato we went to the concourse of the Taylor Center. None of the locker rooms were outright bad from what I remember, just smaller and inconvenient at times.

                  At the D2 level, I didn't expect much more for the visitors. Why build a separate visitors locker room at the stadium when you can stuff your opponent in a functional (well SMSU's was something outta my 1950s era HS) locker room you already have on your campus? I can't believe USF's trailers are still standing as the visitors locker rooms at the Bob. Those were our actual locker rooms for most of my career. They had a single working toilet, no showers. Teams showered at the Stewart Center I believe much like others in the conference.
                  4x 'Crackerjack' NAIA National Champions - 1996, 2006, 2008, 2009
                  2016 NSIC Champions

                  🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Man, usually I'm super fired up for this week but USF's play this season has really taken a lot of wind outta my sail. Last week's fiasco may work the Coo's advantage today. They need to get that outta their systems and quick. Getting the Key back would do that. However, Augie on paper is just better. That and Augie has finally started treating this game like it matters to them. I noticed this in Argus picture of Coach OJ of him rocking a "Beat USF" shirt early in the week and Zimmer confirmed my observations in his game preview. Coach OJ: “Believe me, it doesn’t matter when this game is or what came before it, there’s a lot that goes into this game and I’m never going to underplay that again.” USF I think has rested a little bit on their success in the past in this game. Coach A's program is a little bit rebuilding this year on offense and little stuck in the mud overall. Get a big win today and get back on track. I'm not content with winning seasons. This program should be a playoff and conference contender yearly.

                    If AU can take away Thuro and the running game, Mullen is gonna have to do a lot and Coach A admitted he got too aggressive, and a little panicky, last week which doesn't bode well for Coo offense. Really it comes down to if the Coo can get to Saddler. They've done it before. I don't have enough confidence in the USF offense to win this game, the D is going to have to make some plays. Can they do it? I'm not so sure. My picks are already wrecked for the year after last week and picking against USF has worked in my favor in the past so prove me wrong Coo.

                    Other than that, WSU at Wayne is super interesting to me. I'm with Witt. I was high on WSU early this year and picked to beat UMD. Not sure what to think. And is Wayne's new staff for real making them a program to contend with in the South? Also, as a fan of bottom standing football (attending Vandy-UCONN tonight because I'm a masochist) SMSU-UIU will be fun. I think SMSU is trending in the right direction but woulda felt better picking them if they were at home.

                    Happy Saturday folks. Let's watch some football.

                    4x 'Crackerjack' NAIA National Champions - 1996, 2006, 2008, 2009
                    2016 NSIC Champions

                    🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Otis Day View Post
                      (attending Vandy-UCONN tonight because I'm a masochist)
                      Anchor Down!

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Did not know visitor locker room situation is so abysmal. It would be interesting to read a breakdown of each schools visitor locker room size and location.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by Otis Day View Post
                          Man, usually I'm super fired up for this week but USF's play this season has really taken a lot of wind outta my sail. Last week's fiasco may work the Coo's advantage today. They need to get that outta their systems and quick. Getting the Key back would do that. However, Augie on paper is just better. That and Augie has finally started treating this game like it matters to them. I noticed this in Argus picture of Coach OJ of him rocking a "Beat USF" shirt early in the week and Zimmer confirmed my observations in his game preview. Coach OJ: “Believe me, it doesn’t matter when this game is or what came before it, there’s a lot that goes into this game and I’m never going to underplay that again.” USF I think has rested a little bit on their success in the past in this game. Coach A's program is a little bit rebuilding this year on offense and little stuck in the mud overall. Get a big win today and get back on track. I'm not content with winning seasons. This program should be a playoff and conference contender yearly.

                          If AU can take away Thuro and the running game, Mullen is gonna have to do a lot and Coach A admitted he got too aggressive, and a little panicky, last week which doesn't bode well for Coo offense. Really it comes down to if the Coo can get to Saddler. They've done it before. I don't have enough confidence in the USF offense to win this game, the D is going to have to make some plays. Can they do it? I'm not so sure. My picks are already wrecked for the year after last week and picking against USF has worked in my favor in the past so prove me wrong Coo.

                          Other than that, WSU at Wayne is super interesting to me. I'm with Witt. I was high on WSU early this year and picked to beat UMD. Not sure what to think. And is Wayne's new staff for real making them a program to contend with in the South? Also, as a fan of bottom standing football (attending Vandy-UCONN tonight because I'm a masochist) SMSU-UIU will be fun. I think SMSU is trending in the right direction but woulda felt better picking them if they were at home.

                          Happy Saturday folks. Let's watch some football.
                          While I would prefer to win both last week and this week, if I had to chose between one loss I would take getting beaten at Northern and then have a "get right" victory over Augie versus the opposite.

                          Hopefully it will happen. I think the Coo has the ability to win, but can't afford themselves any mistakes. Augie is too solid this year to afford giving them any additional advantage.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Dragons up 7-0 over Bulldogs early in 2nd Qtr. UMD trying to impose their will on MSUM through power running, which has not been successful thus far.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              John Larson injured??

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Cougars score on their 1st. drive. great protection by oline and use of TE's

                                Comment

                                Ad3

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X