X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gridiron Bobby
    replied
    Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post
    WPHB, you was not exaggerating about an out of touch fan base. They are demanding and condescending at the same time at WTAM. Read that it was suggested State of TX. funds 27 scholarships, is that true?
    Yeah they’ve tried to get scholarships reduced. That alone is proof they didn’t pay Hughes 225k for their HC job. That’d make zero sense, even talking about cutting schollies, yet pay more than some FCS HC’s make.
    Last edited by Gridiron Bobby; 02-10-2023, 05:36 PM.

Leave a comment:

• vikingfaithful
    replied
    WPHB, you was not exaggerating about an out of touch fan base. They are demanding and condescending at the same time at WTAM. Read that it was suggested State of TX. funds 27 scholarships, is that true?

Leave a comment:

• WPHB
    replied
    Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post

Well, as someone who lives about 60 miles south of there, I will say that there are definitely pluses and minuses. The stadium is beautiful. Their sports are mostly top-notch. Weather is seasonal with milder winters than NSIC and milder summers than the rest of Texas (all relative). The downside is that the fan base is super harsh, not much support from the Texas A&M system compared to other schools in the same system (see Tarleton), and the stadium sits probably half-empty (if not more) during games. Not sure the administration is committed to the football program.

They have an amazing tradition, but that is all it is. They live off of the past and have win now or you are fired type expectations. So even with the increased pay, if you are an assistant you have very little job security. I have known several players who have gone there and they seem to like the facilities and location, but hate the revolving door of coaches and the fan base negativity.

If you want a good measure of it, just go to the LSC board here and go back to the beginning of the season and read up on how the fan base reacts to things. It is a really good measure of what I hear from most fans, and not just outliers posting on a message board.

***EDIT***In full disclosure, I am a graduate of a LSC school which did not have a football team until about 20 years after I graduated, but felt I needed to be transparent..

Leave a comment:

• vikingfaithful
    replied

The last guy was at $224k in 2022.
    Wow, thats a helluva a salary compared to NSIC HC wages, no wonder there is high expectations to win. That is a gorgeous stadium, located near Amarillo TX. Lived close to there as a child.

Leave a comment:

• Matt Witwicki
    replied
    Originally posted by Gridiron Bobby View Post

Their stadium looks awesome. But I’m pretty sure those salary #’s are way off. Their last guy made around 130. They paid their assistants pretty low salaries, that’s why they had a lot of turnover.
    The last guy was at $224k in 2022.

Leave a comment:

• Gridiron Bobby
    replied

Not the average Lonestar team. Let's say the salary of NSIC head coach is around 100,000 to 120,000 or so....at WT it's 250k. Their athletic program is a high performer in D2 sports..and they have toys.

They are the Lonestar program with the most means by far..the single nicest stadium in D2 and a tradition (now 10 years ago) of being a strong program and the expectations there yearly are playoffs. Their last coach was fired for not being able to lead them to the playoffs..and now they were able to get the HC from Nebraska Kearney.

Here is their new stadium..for example..

Their stadium looks awesome. But I’m pretty sure those salary #’s are way off. Their last guy made around 130. They paid their assistants pretty low salaries, that’s why they had a lot of turnover.

Leave a comment:

• AU guy
    replied

Not the average Lonestar team. Let's say the salary of NSIC head coach is around 100,000 to 120,000 or so....at WT it's 250k. Their athletic program is a high performer in D2 sports..and they have toys.

They are the Lonestar program with the most means by far..the single nicest stadium in D2 and a tradition (now 10 years ago) of being a strong program and the expectations there yearly are playoffs. Their last coach was fired for not being able to lead them to the playoffs..and now they were able to get the HC from Nebraska Kearney.

Oh I see! Thanks for the info!

Leave a comment:

• Matt Witwicki
    replied
    Originally posted by AU guy View Post

Why would this change the dynamic? I don't know anything about West Texas A&M but aren't they just an average Lone Star team? Don't get me wrong I don't want Karst to come to the NSIC I think he's a helluva player. I just don't get what's the big deal in getting an offer from them?

Leave a comment:

• AU guy
    replied
    Originally posted by Brandon View Post

That certainly changes the dynamic
    Why would this change the dynamic? I don't know anything about West Texas A&M but aren't they just an average Lone Star team? Don't get me wrong I don't want Karst to come to the NSIC I think he's a helluva player. I just don't get what's the big deal in getting an offer from them?

Leave a comment:

• wsuguy87
    replied
    Here is some video of the QB that Winona got from USD via the portal..

Moves well..I could see that adding a dimension to the Warriors, just at quick glance here. That said, I could see them playing a few guys again this year..until maybe one guy really asserts themselves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOhsBoCg0Qk&t=1s

https://goyotes.com/sports/football/...tenstrom/11980
    Thanks for posting.

Looks like he does move well. And seems to have the arm strength to make the throws needed in the new Warrior offense. I suspect he comes in and takes the starting job, baring some serious development by a guy currently on the roster.

Leave a comment:

• Brandon
    replied
    Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post

Added West Texas A&M to his offers.
    That certainly changes the dynamic

Leave a comment:

• NSU4LIFE
    replied
    Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post

Karst would be wise to choose NSU. 93 miles from his hometown a better than average chance of starting and great stadium and fans.
    Added West Texas A&M to his offers.

Leave a comment:

• vikingfaithful
    replied
    Originally posted by Thunder View Post

I think the feeling is if he chooses a D2 school, Northern has a very good chance to be the landing spot. I think there has been some FCS interest, but I don't know how much and he hasn't received any offers at that level yet.
    Karst would be wise to choose NSU. 93 miles from his hometown a better than average chance of starting and great stadium and fans.

Leave a comment:

• Thunder
    replied

Black Hills State as well.

He visited Aberdeen this last weekend. Took some glamour shots here as well, apparently..haha

(I think NSU is the leader in the clubhouse right now....but plenty of D2 squads have immediate QB needs, so there might be more recruiting news of him to come yet)
    I think the feeling is if he chooses a D2 school, Northern has a very good chance to be the landing spot. I think there has been some FCS interest, but I don't know how much and he hasn't received any offers at that level yet.

Leave a comment:

• NSU4LIFE
    replied

Black Hills State as well.

He visited Aberdeen this last weekend. Took some glamour shots here as well, apparently..haha

(I think NSU is the leader in the clubhouse right now....but plenty of D2 squads have immediate QB needs, so there might be more recruiting news of him to come yet)

Karst Hunter
    @karsthunter7
    I have received an offer from Northern State.
    @NSUWolves_FB

7:54 PM · Feb 5, 2023·
    Those pics are something, haha.

I knew there was a third team but when i browsed the twitter feed I only saw two schools. The BH tweet is gone

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X