Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UCM has found a nice niche in baseball with many players from eastern ND and NW MN. With MSUM not sponsoring baseball and Bemidji struggling they have the region to themselves. Good for the War Dam Eagles.

Comment

• Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

Crookston baseball caught my eye a few years back with the Zach Seipel situation given how unusual that was.

We can say what we want about the other sports, but their baseball team has become very competitive in a very short period of time.
      when you aren't funding football you can become fully funded (or close to it ) in baseball. They have taken advantage of that to their credit. And their coach is a good coach too!

Comment

• As it relates to Jamestown, there is potential there for a good addition. Jamestown is a decent size town. The trip is not bad for most schools (Duluth, Winona, maybe Mankato excepted) otherwise not bad.

Closer to Marshall than Duluth and a way easier trip. Under 5 hours almost all freeway. way better trip than Duluth and easier than Winona despite being a little farther. Relatively closer for many schools even CSP as it is a 4 -4.5 hour trip -- all freeway. 6 hours from Wayne so not great but not any worse than Winona - and better than many of their trips

Jamestown is building a new football stadium. Good in volleyball. will be a battle or take time in basketball and baseball for example

Comment

• Originally posted by MrMustang View Post

when you aren't funding football you can become fully funded (or close to it ) in baseball. They have taken advantage of that to their credit. And their coach is a good coach too!
          Yeah, that is likely the catalyst. I think they would still be a better fit for D3 though, and then their baseball can really shine through. But yes, they had a good coach before they dropped football.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrMustang View Post
            As it relates to Jamestown, there is potential there for a good addition. Jamestown is a decent size town. The trip is not bad for most schools (Duluth, Winona, maybe Mankato excepted) otherwise not bad.

Closer to Marshall than Duluth and a way easier trip. Under 5 hours almost all freeway. way better trip than Duluth and easier than Winona despite being a little farther. Relatively closer for many schools even CSP as it is a 4 -4.5 hour trip -- all freeway. 6 hours from Wayne so not great but not any worse than Winona - and better than many of their trips

Jamestown is building a new football stadium. Good in volleyball. will be a battle or take time in basketball and baseball for example
            Brand new $14 million basketball arena too - puts it on par with much of the NSIC (facilities wise).

Comment

• Here we go again...

https://www.keloland.com/sports/west...summit-league/

Comment

• Originally posted by Thunder View Post
                Interesting. I think Western Illinois was a founding member of the conference (name escapes me).

At this point the Summit should just rename itself North Central Conference.

Comment

Northern on the move? Lol

Comment

• Originally posted by njmav1 View Post

Interesting. I think Western Illinois was a founding member of the conference (name escapes me).

At this point the Summit should just rename itself North Central Conference.
                    Interesting fact- the women's teams at WIU used to be called the Westerwinds. And the Leathernecks are the only non-military institution to officially have its nickname derived from a branch of the military service- they got permission from the Marine Corps because their coach had been one.

Comment

Now we'll find out if Augie will ever have a chance at D1

Comment

• That's not surprising. WI is pretty terrible in most sports and the Summit is also pretty terrible in most sports, but not quite that bad.

Comment

• Originally posted by zimmy21 View Post

Now we'll find out if Augie will ever have a chance at D1
                          Do not foresee Augustana looking at D1 at this point as their still raising money for hockey. Better chance Mankato approached for move up to D1.

Comment

• Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post

Do not foresee Augustana looking at D1 at this point as their still raising money for hockey. Better chance Mankato approached for move up to D1.
                            Would be a dream, but I'm sure you will soon see the naysayers will have all the excuses not to.
                            ​​​​​I'm thinking the Summit however might look to a larger market first.
                            Last edited by zimmy21; 05-13-2023, 09:03 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by zimmy21 View Post

Would be a dream, but as I'm sure you will soon see the naysayers will have all the excuses not to.
                              ​​​​​I'm thinking the Summit however might look to a larger market first.
                              Kato would be a nice upgrade over most Summit League towns. Aside from like... St. Paul and Omaha their geography is horrendous. It's crazy they didn't want the Sioux Falls market.

I wasn't sure what a Vermillion was until I arrived, and I'm still not quite sure what that was.
                              Last edited by SW_Mustang; 05-13-2023, 08:16 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post

While football and basketball are the big sports everyone uses to gauge how successful (or not) a school might be, I took a peek at Summit league T&F records and I think MSU (men and women) would compete right away.

But I still think the only reason for any D2 school playing D1 hockey moves up to full D1 is because they have to. I don't see that happening now, but all this talk about P5 schools moving their ACHA programs to D1 makes me nervous.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X