Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Millsy View Post

I had a colleague at work experience basically the same thing. Their daughter was looking at St. Bens and St. Cloud State. Once all the aid got figured in, St. Bens was the cheaper choice. She didn't end up at either, but it was somewhat of an eye opener to me hearing that and something I will keep in my back pocket when my kids get to exploring.
    Yeah. It was an eye opening experience for me especially considering I went to SMSU and loved it. Just eye opening how much MnSCU has changed in 30 years.

Comment

• Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

It's just a personal belief. It wasn't meant to be taken as a shot to you or your son. If I'm going to make a comment like I did about Waldorf being put in a corner, I might as well stand on it and not try to hide it. I don't like for-profit universities. That doesn't mean you are required to believe it yourself, or that I have any interest in changing your mind.

While I agree that MnSCU is a hot mess, your comments on SMSU are wildly subjective. My debt load (for both degrees combined) was less than what I spent on my used car. I'm on a great career path and many of my former classmates are as well. I've attended two other, much larger universities in my time since - and while I enjoyed those experiences, I really think SMSU has a unique experience that one can't get elsewhere.

My beliefs on for-profit education are my beliefs, and I'm not going to apologize for them. I have zero interest in converting you to my side though. Let's leave it at that and get back to the coffee shop banter.
      never any offense taken. I am a proud SMSU grad but MnSCU is a clunky expensive mess with way to many expensive people in St Paul that don't do anything for the campuses and only waste money. that money would be much better spent on the campuses instead of downtown St. Paul

you comment about a career path are correct and both my kids despite different paths are also on their way there.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan Brookens View Post
        I think Waldorf is owned by their own foundation now. They had to sell to a diploma mill to stay alive, but now I think they're pretty much out of the tall grass and legit. The former "teachers colleges" are having a tough go of it in many circumstances because they just don't have the endowment some of the other schools do. My daughter goes to Grinnell and she got a full ride on something called a Quest Bridge Scholarship. Their endowment is ridiculously high.
        Waldorf was in financial trouble around 2010. They were bought out which prevented them from folding. They seem to be on solid ground now.

They have a pretty dynamic president who is quite impressive. Which is more than I can say about the last two presidents at my alma mater.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrMustang View Post

never any offense taken. I am a proud SMSU grad but MnSCU is a clunky expensive mess with way to many expensive people in St Paul that don't do anything for the campuses and only waste money. that money would be much better spent on the campuses instead of downtown St. Paul

you comment about a career path are correct and both my kids despite different paths are also on their way there.
          We totally agree on MnSCU being clunky. I find it funny we both still refer to it as MnSCU... I like to think they didn't spend millions of dollars on that rebrand to Minnesota State but...

And I wish your kids the best.

Comment

• Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post

No interest in being a degree hoarder. I've known a few that have gotten a new Hampshire or Phoenix degree, no difference. They and I paid someone to attempt to get a piece of paper and in the end, got it. I got to go to games and hang with friends, they worked. In the end, they probably made the better choice.
            It's all subjective. The delayed gratification that came with a college degree for me is well worth not having to stay in my dingy hometown. Many I went to HS with would disagree, but to each their own.

That being said, there is mountains of evidence against diploma mills being a good choice for the vast majority of degree seekers. A community college is a far better option in those cases, or just working outright.

Comment

• https://twitter.com/JimmieKnight/sta...800438786?s=20

What ya think folks..?

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post
                1. If it was athletics related, wouldn't the tweet come from the athletics twitter page?

or

2. Would Witt be sharing this if he didn't have inside intel?

Comment

• It's still pretty wild to me that UJ has SIX trips to NSIC schools that are closer than its closest trip within the GPAC.

MSU-Moorhead - 98 miles
                  U-Mary - 102 miles
                  Northern State - 103 miles
                  UM-Crookston - 157 miles
                  Minot State - 170 miles
                  Bemidji State - 227 miles

vs.

Dakota Wesleyan - 244 miles

Comment

• Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post

1. If it was athletics related, wouldn't the tweet come from the athletics twitter page?

or

2. Would Witt be sharing this if he didn't have inside intel?
                    I'm curious....I'm wondering if this is for an announcement for applying to D2..

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post
                      As we have gone around and around about on here, I think Jamestown is probably the best realistic option. There are probably better options, but none that would be willing to join the NSIC. There are a lot of unknowns for the future of the conference, but this would alleviate some of the short term scheduling issues. I hope this does not mean the end of non-conference scheduling for football, but I fear that is exactly what will happen as the silo is so much easier for ADs scheduling these games.

Comment

• Originally posted by Thunder View Post

As we have gone around and around about on here, I think Jamestown is probably the best realistic option. There are probably better options, but none that would be willing to join the NSIC. There are a lot of unknowns for the future of the conference, but this would alleviate some of the short term scheduling issues. I hope this does not mean the end of non-conference scheduling for football, but I fear that is exactly what will happen as the silo is so much easier for ADs scheduling these games.
                        Same concerns here.

Comment

• They look a little underpowered in most sports. Not sure what the draw would be for them but if USF can make the jump, I guess they can too with the right amount of booster support and money. USF had a big winning tradition for what I saw (at least in Football), so that would probably negate any comparisons. Seems geographically reasonable.

Comment

• Lol. MIAA pres. was talking about expanding into a superconference. I have wondered if there might be talks between them and the nsic or lsc.
                            Last edited by Predatory Primates; 05-04-2023, 05:04 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post
                              Lol. MIAA pres. was talking about expanding into a superconference. I have wondered if there might be talks between them and the nsic or lsc.
                              I doubt that either conference wants that much travel North to South. I have a feeling the MIAA expansion might be more south but maybe looking at Wayne State..all things considered.

Comment

• Originally posted by WPHB View Post
                                They look a little underpowered in most sports. Not sure what the draw would be for them but if USF can make the jump, I guess they can too with the right amount of booster support and money. USF had a big winning tradition for what I saw (at least in Football), so that would probably negate any comparisons. Seems geographically reasonable.
                                Jamestown is not where USF was...

I'm personally not thrilled if this is happening but was probably only a matter of time. Might as well add Valley City, DWU, DSU, Mayville and Mount Marty.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X