Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post

I think another thing to keep in mind regarding basketball attendance is the stupid change to half of the doubleheaders. Sometimes consistency is the most important thing, even as little as being able to count on the men's game starting at 7:30. It's also worth noting that this is a nationwide issue, not just at SMSU. We are still 16th in D2 attendance, which is pretty close to on par with where we've usually been. Our average attendance is literally ONE off from where it was five seasons ago. That year we were 25th in D2. Northern's reported attendance is down by over 1,200 in that time, but still hanging on to first place. Augie is down by 1k as well.

But anyways, back to football...
    The time chane is also dumb. Has hurt attendance. To be fair that was the conference not SMSU. But I have said before, hard to get there 5:30 on Friday. People would get there for the 2nd half of the women. Now they just don't go because they are not going to miss half the men's game. Amazing no one forsaw that (It's worse if they did but made the dumb change anyway).

Late afternoon also hurts attendance as compared to 7:30 on Saturday night -- but to be fair that was probably needed. Makes sense for studfents to get home at midnight rather than 3 am or 4am

Comment

• 30 plus signings from what I hear. looking forward to it

Comment

• Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post
        I know the Hawaiian Night debacle didn't help things. It used to be "the show" in Marshall during winter weekends.
        ​​​​​​...
        For those of us who are in the dark, what was the "Hawaiian night debacle"?

Comment

• Originally posted by Tundra_Man View Post
          Hawaiian Night - it's like homecoming for basketball. Students take half the gym and dress up in Hawaiian clothes or beach gear. Fans/alumni take up the other half of the gym.

Few years ago, administration decided to change the name to Tropical Night. This angered the very conservative SMSU community. Soon as the change was made - there was a noticeable drop in attendance (from what I can tell).

It was a whole thing and still gets brought up a lot. I maintain no opinion aside from the fact that everyone else in the debate is wrong regardless of their opinion - but I digress. Point is, it didn't help attendance to the event at all.
          Last edited by SW_Mustang; 02-06-2024, 07:43 PM.

Comment

I think another thing to keep in mind regarding basketball attendance is the stupid change to half of the doubleheaders. Sometimes consistency is the most important thing, even as little as being able to count on the men's game starting at 7:30. It's also worth noting that this is a nationwide issue, not just at SMSU. We are still 16th in D2 attendance, which is pretty close to on par with where we've usually been. Our average attendance is literally ONE off from where it was five seasons ago. That year we were 25th in D2. Northern's reported attendance is down by over 1,200 in that time, but still hanging on to first place. Augie is down by 1k as well.

But anyways, back to football...
            Admittedly I haven't looked at the numbers much - I was going off of feel. Friday night's crowd was a bummer - with respect to the other factors at play. And with basketball season competing directly with the CCHA - I don't make it to as many games as I used too myself.

One thing I liked is that we brought the pep-band back. Based on who was participating on Friday, it looks like we opened it up to alumni and/or community members to participate too - which I like. For a football tie-in, we also brought it back.

Actually I was pretty pleased with football attendance on my two visits this year - especially against USF. And I really commend the new staff for the Mustang Round Up.

But yeah - back to football. I don't have the campus connections I used too so I'm always curious what the pulse is on campus. Didn't mean to derail.

Comment

Hawaiian Night - it's like homecoming for basketball. Students take half the gym and dress up in Hawaiian clothes or beach gear. Fans/alumni take up the other half of the gym.

Few years ago, administration decided to change the name to Tropical Night. This angered the very conservative SMSU community. Soon as the change was made - there was a noticeable drop in attendance (from what I can tell).

It was a whole thing and still gets brought up a lot. I maintain no opinion aside from the fact that everyone else in the debate is wrong regardless of their opinion - but I digress. Point is, it didn't help attendance to the event at all.
              That was less spicy than what I had imagined. :)

Comment

Basically there were complaints that calling it "Hawaiian Night" is racist and administration folded without much hesitation.

Comment

All I can say is...

"It's Marshall"

Comment

One more commitment known today makes 35 that I expect to sign come tomorrow. Will be interesting to see how many "silent commits" we end up with, if any...
                    Going to be closer to 40–and yes there will be a couple more that won’t be announced.

Comment

• Any notable names? Any interesting local guys?

I don't keep up with HS football at all so I'm pretty out of the loop.

Comment

about 8 people on campus decided calling something "Hawaiian" was racist and they changed it without any imput from coaches, athletes, general student imout, and alumni, and town folks.

The simple unilateral change angered folks as much as the change itself. The President just did it. When there was some pushback, the President doubled down and told us all to take a hike.

and when I say about 8 people, I am being literal. It was literally a handful of people who claimed this and made an issue that didn't exist.

Comment

It really highlighted the administration is tone deaf on this and many more issues. They are like most adminsitrators. Bleep you all -- but now give us a bunch of money

Comment

Admittedly I haven't looked at the numbers much - I was going off of feel. Friday night's crowd was a bummer - with respect to the other factors at play. And with basketball season competing directly with the CCHA - I don't make it to as many games as I used too myself.

One thing I liked is that we brought the pep-band back. Based on who was participating on Friday, it looks like we opened it up to alumni and/or community members to participate too - which I like. For a football tie-in, we also brought it back.

Actually I was pretty pleased with football attendance on my two visits this year - especially against USF. And I really commend the new staff for the Mustang Round Up.

But yeah - back to football. I don't have the campus connections I used too so I'm always curious what the pulse is on campus. Didn't mean to derail.
                            the athletic department did a nice job getting folks out to football. It was a good fall and a nice start to things

Comment

All I can say is...

"It's Marshall"
                              you can't constantly ask people for money, especially people who have given religiously for 20-25-30-40-50 years that you don't care what they think - and then ask them for more money and expect them to just fold because you have a PH D.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrMustang View Post

the athletic department did a nice job getting folks out to football. It was a good fall and a nice start to things
                                Agreed. The Mustang Roundup was long overdue and I hope they continue to offer and/or expand on it. Those things matter to fostering an atmosphere.

I also think they made the vendor spots free which was cool.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X