• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MrMustang View Post
    Well, not sure what to say.

32 yards of offense in the second half.

Defense battled but we can't score.

pretty disappointing season so far. Yep. I know a tough schedule and yes 2 close losses so we win those and are 3-4 everyone feels much better about things, but the fact is we didn't win them.'

Great crowd for homecoming we'll see about this week - weather is supposed to be great but for some reason we play at 1 PM -- too bad as that costs us 1000 fans alone vs night game.
    I think for the first time this season Northern made adjustments on defense and it served them well. I will say in the second half SMSU had some dropped and overthrown passes that could have made a difference.

Comment

• Defense has been pretty good even in these losses.

Offense - nope.

too many injuries too

tough season. not sure where it leaves us

Comment

Defense has been pretty good even in these losses.

Offense - nope.

too many injuries too

Leaves them: Continuing to build—They are Young on both sides; not deep enough to overcome injuries and extremely unexplosive on both sides of the ball. They need to be capable of big plays, and as constructed that is NOT very likely . Add, a very tough, maybe the toughest schedule in the conference. There have been quarters and half’s of good football but just too inconsistent—- inconsistent football happens generally when players are too young or too inexperienced to perform consistently.

Comment

Defense has been pretty good even in these losses.

Offense - nope.

too many injuries too

After the Augustana game, The voice of the Vikings was interviewing DC Mark Sipple about playing against his old boss, Underwood. He said,"I worked for the man xx years, He will get the job done"

Comment

• Well I'll be at this week's game... likely my last football game of the year. It's been a fun ride.

I have zero hope we pull out a win. I'd like to see the defense play well, that's more or less my goal.

One of these years, we'll hopefully pull one over on Mankato. Would love to see it. Honestly, I think that needs to be in Undeewood's plan somewhere.

Comment

• Originally posted by FB Player Coach & Fan View Post

Leaves them: Continuing to build—They are Young on both sides; not deep enough to overcome injuries and extremely unexplosive on both sides of the ball. They need to be capable of big plays, and as constructed that is NOT very likely . Add, a very tough, maybe the toughest schedule in the conference. There have been quarters and half’s of good football but just too inconsistent—- inconsistent football happens generally when players are too young or too inexperienced to perform consistently.
              there is a lot of youth playing and some things to like.

not enough depth that is for sure.

qb play needs vast improvement, but i also am a little surprised we have few receivers who can make big plays. Maybe it is the receivers, maybe the play calling, maybe some of each. In fairness, maybe with a young qb we just a re not sure we can make huge plays. That to me needs to be a big change for next year. Have to be a ble to pass better - however we get there.

I thought last year we were very disciplined and well coached. I think there has beena step backward on that this year as far as discipline or guys being where they should be to make plays. Not a huge step back but a small step back. That surpises me some because I think the coaches are very coach and their track record speaks for itself.

I think the future is bright and I like Scott to get them there, just figured we might have 2 more wins.

The Valpo loss is a bad one. we were better than them.

Comment

• Levi's coaching and playcalling has really been impressing me. That's the big standout to me. The offense needs to get better, and it starts at QB.

We know Sauter would've turned to the transfer portal based on the QB production....but will Underwood?

Comment

• I'll be at the game tomorrow. Sounds like there could be a little snow. Expecting it to be cold- I need to find my gloves.

Comment

• I've flip flopped a lot on Martin this year, but after seeing the improvement since the UMD game - I was very impressed today. O Line did him little favor though.

1 INT in the endzone was the biggest mistake. The second INT was well into garbage time. No fumbles.

Defense wasn't as good as I was hoping. A handful og big plays that shouldn't have happened.

At this point in the season, I care more about weekly improvements than I do wins.

Comment

• Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post
                      At this point in the season, I care more about weekly improvements than I do wins.
                      Well said. As strange as it is to say, I feel roughly the same about the program's trajectory as I did a year ago.

Comment

• Disappointing game. disappointing season

Comment

• Lots I could say about that game - but given we had nothing tangible to play for, we sure played hard. Great way to close out an otherwise dismal year.

First D2 win against USF too.

Comment

• One thing I want to know - what do we think about Tomele Staples today?

Comment

• Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post
                              One thing I want to know - what do we think about Tomele Staples today?
                              Young man played very well; a little ball security improvement needed when running the ball. He threw the ball efficiently and effectively—- last week QB Martin was 12-12 throwing the ball late in the 4th-today Staples started perfect for his first 5/6 throws. Staples is big play capable when he runs with the ball. Martin rushed for 80 yards last week—one a Soph, Martin, Staples a Frosh. I will say I was very surprised how Martin was playing the last two or three games—he had looked good. And today to have a QB2 come in and excel in his first extended playing opportunity and he came thru with flying colors. Credit to the young men-credit to the coaches for coaching up QB2 & QB1. Credit to Coach Underwood & staff for getting their players to play with effort & energy in game 11 of a tough season. Ending on an up note and taking some momentum into the off season.

The reality—SMSU should be 4-7 (Valpo and Mary + Sioux Falls & Minot)—-Had shots or were very competitive against Northern & Moorhead to steal one more win; but they didn’t. Lots of Sophs & Jrs played and “should” all be returning—but we will see what the portal effect is on the young roster.

Comment

• Originally posted by FB Player Coach & Fan View Post

Young man played very well; a little ball security improvement needed when running the ball. He threw the ball efficiently and effectively—- last week QB Martin was 12-12 throwing the ball late in the 4th-today Staples started perfect for his first 5/6 throws. Staples is big play capable when he runs with the ball. Martin rushed for 80 yards last week—one a Soph, Martin, Staples a Frosh. I will say I was very surprised how Martin was playing the last two or three games—he had looked good. And today to have a QB2 come in and excel in his first extended playing opportunity and he came thru with flying colors. Credit to the young men-credit to the coaches for coaching up QB2 & QB1. Credit to Coach Underwood & staff for getting their players to play with effort & energy in game 11 of a tough season. Ending on an up note and taking some momentum into the off season.

The reality—SMSU should be 4-7 (Valpo and Mary + Sioux Falls & Minot)—-Had shots or were very competitive against Northern & Moorhead to steal one more win; but they didn’t. Lots of Sophs & Jrs played and “should” all be returning—but we will see what the portal effect is on the young roster.
                                I agree. He was great on his feet, I thought. Passing game was respectable, and no INTs. I did think the offense was a little careless at times, but part of that could have been the lead.

Your point about morale is exactly what I was thinking. We could have buckled, handed USF an easy win, and nobody would have thought twice. We stayed motivated and played hard. That's what matters most to me at the tail end of a bad season. The program was definitely not like this two years ago in the final game.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X