Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We are honestly so close. I hate to say it, but we might be a QB away. Really wonder what we could have been with Justus.

Comment

• Our center also needs to stop snapping the ball so high. I noticed that in the UMD game. Martin was able to reel those in but it was only a matter of time

Comment

• Thoughts. Not ripping but being honest instead of a homer

1. QB - not good enough right now. In defense, we wanted to redshirt last year, and he would be a redshirt freshman backup this year in the plan, but he isn't. Not a rip, but game way too fast it appears. need to figure out the rest of the year where that leaves us. I have my thoughts and will keep them to myself for now.

2. O line - beat up and now we can't run. Plus, teams know we can't pass, so they stack the box making running harder.

3. Very conservative play calling. probably related to # 1 and # 2. -- How about we throw some bombs.

4. Defense was awesome against Valpo. Something to build on.

5. We make huge mistakes when we need to not too. Not sure what that means, but man it can't happen. too many examples to name all but: 1. bad snap costs us points.it was a huge problem last year and appears to be a problem again 2. then after bad snaps we don't get play in and have 2 penalites. looks like a mess there. 3. missed extra point - how? seriously how. 4. punter has a good day, but when need a good punt in the 4th quarter we get a 6 yard punt. amazing and ridiculous.instead of Valpo going 85 yards to score they only have to go 65 yards so we lose.

6. We are young FWIW

7. we might go 1-10 - we might go 6-5... hard to know but less confident than 5 weeks ago.

8. Valpo wasn't good. we let that get away

Comment

• I have many more thoughts but that is enough for now

Comment

• Agreed, especially on the defense.

Interestingly enough, DA is still a top RB in the conference with all the struggles we've had. Top 5 currently and has a chance to move up if he can get some more support. SBL already has the season rushing crown locked up, but DA could settle in around 3rd if we get a couple things figured out.

Comment

• What I find interesting is Austin has run well on the first series most games and then struggles later on. Obviously as the game goes on teams are stacking the defense and daring us to pass. Our receivers need to be able to get open downfield 1 on 1 and then we need to hit some long passes to open up the running game again

Comment

• Originally posted by MrMustang View Post
                7. we might go 1-10 - we might go 6-5... hard to know but less confident than 5 weeks ago.

8. Valpo wasn't good. we let that get away
                As easy as it is to get down right now, I think a takeaway I have is that most of the teams left on the schedule are closer to Valpo level than they are to BSU, UMD and WSC level. Augie this week and Mankato at the end of the month are likely to be ugly. But I feel like we have a puncher's chance across the rest of the schedule. I'm not sure if we'll be able to match last year's win total, but I think we have an opportunity to get close.

Comment

• True Freshman Greg Schafer from Cottonwood on the 2 deep this week. I assume it is just to play 3 games and not to pull the redshirt entirely

Comment

• Originally posted by MrMustang View Post
                    True Freshman Greg Schafer from Cottonwood on the 2 deep this week. I assume it is just to play 3 games and not to pull the redshirt entirely
                    Almost certainly.

I think two-deep just pulls from what we saw last week and not necessarily input from coaches. He was on special teams last week in Indiana.

Comment

• Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post
                      Agreed, especially on the defense.

Interestingly enough, DA is still a top RB in the conference with all the struggles we've had. Top 5 currently and has a chance to move up if he can get some more support. SBL already has the season rushing crown locked up, but DA could settle in around 3rd if we get a couple things figured out.
                      Love DAs toughness & as a coach I would love to have a DA on my team. His drawback is his lack of explosiveness—his average yards per carry is relatively low. Needs lots of touches to get his yards—which put more pressure on the offense to be perfect/not make mistakes or fall behind the sticks. The team needs an occasional big play or explosive play to take the pressure off the ball control offense. The 3 yards and a cloud of rubber pelts has a very small margin for error.

Comment

• Originally posted by FB Player Coach & Fan View Post

Love DAs toughness & as a coach I would love to have a DA on my team. His drawback is his lack of explosiveness—his average yards per carry is relatively low. Needs lots of touches to get his yards—which put more pressure on the offense to be perfect/not make mistakes or fall behind the sticks. The team needs an occasional big play or explosive play to take the pressure off the ball control offense. The 3 yards and a cloud of rubber pelts has a very small margin for error.
                        I agree with your analysis. I actually really liked him behind Sherwood last year, they complimented each other nicely. DA is very robust, but he does lack those big explosive gains SMSU RBs have been known for.

Maybe he has it in him somewhere to get to that point. If he does, he could be very exciting to watch - moreso than now.

Comment

• Disappointing game.

Last year one of the biggest changes was the lack of turnovers and the lack of penalties and how we were a new team as far as discipline,

we were a really sound and fundamentally good team last year. We did lose games at the end of the year, but some of that was we played teams better than us, and some was injuries (losing the qb).

I feel like this year has been a unfortunate reversal. Injuries again are some of it, but there is just a different vibe.

The next 2 games will make or break the season. have to find a way to right the ship.

Comment

• The other disappointing thing is for the most part we did not give up big plays last year and we are giving up a lot of them this year.

Comment

• Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

I agree with your analysis. I actually really liked him behind Sherwood last year, they complimented each other nicely. DA is very robust, but he does lack those big explosive gains SMSU RBs have been known for.

Maybe he has it in him somewhere to get to that point. If he does, he could be very exciting to watch - moreso than now.
                              Donald Austin is is a fine running back, Augie radio crew kept complimenting how tough he runs. 3 guys on home radio broadcast know Scott Underwood well. Jim Heinitz was his HC, John Schultz former QB was his roommate and Voice of the Viks Jeff Fylling was a good friend in college. They're all pulling for Scott and SMSU.

Comment

• Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post

Donald Austin is is a fine running back, Augie radio crew kept complimenting how tough he runs. 3 guys on home radio broadcast know Scott Underwood well. Jim Heinitz was his HC, John Schultz former QB was his roommate and Voice of the Viks Jeff Fylling was a good friend in college. They're all pulling for Scott and SMSU.
                                The lack of explosiveness could be due to issues with the OLine not giving him opportunities either - I haven't watched enough this year to make that call, I just noticed he's not breaking away quite like I was hoping he would. That being said, personally - I'm thrilled he's running for us and not against us. Definitely one of the better RBs in the conference this year.

The sentiment is appreciated. I knew this was going to be a hard year with McComb leaving last second. I knew it was going to take Underwood a little bit to get settled in as we cycled out the old process for a newer one. I'm still a believer he can turn things around.

EDIT: Out of curiosity, I had to look - and McComb is no longer listed on San Diego Mesa's roster either. I sincerely hope all is well with him. He does not appear to be on a roster this year as far as I can tell.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X