Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post
    The move could get interesting down the stretch if Martin were to get injured. I don't know anything about our other two QBs.
    Well it's either a redshirt freshman or a true freshman.

I will say, I had assumed that Staples (the redshirt freshman) was more of a dual-threat "athlete" rather than a true QB (which might not be Underwood's style), but his high school stats don't really bear that out...2,100 yards and 30 TDs passing to only 200 yards and 4 TDs rushing as a senior. Had pretty good pocket awareness and mobility though. He was added fairly late in Underwood's first recruiting cycle.

I think Mosier (the true freshman) comes in pretty highly regarded. He was on the camp circuit before his senior year, attending camps, making gameday visits and getting recruiting pitches from FCS, Group of 5 and Power 5 schools, as well as D2s like NWMSU. Not sure if any offers came from them, but it still speaks to the level of prospect he was. He comes from the Class 5A level in Iowa, which is pretty good ball played there (I believe it's another level up from where former Mustang QB Tyler Peschong came from). Bigger QB, bigger arm, a little less mobility.

Comment

Martin will be qb. Staples will be back up and play some. I think they like them both.

But after that, young very young

Comment

There was a good writeup on the RB position in Saturday's local paper

https://www.marshallindependent.com/...nning-it-back/

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
          There was a good writeup on the RB position in Saturday's local paper

https://www.marshallindependent.com/...nning-it-back/
          Very good story on the RB position. I took a look at Mustangs roster and for sure there is a lot of big dudes on OL and DL. Hopefully SMSU gets good play at QB. As I posted earlier Mustangs will surprise some team, I hope it's not Augie.

Comment

I have a nice pic of DA as my background on my work computer. He's a workhorse and there's no doubt he'll be a top running back in the NSIC.

It wasn't fun seeing Sherwood struggle with injuries, but DA filled in nicely.

Comment

Was looking at schedules for the coming football season....IMO the Mustangs have the hardest schedule in the league, tied with CSP. Here is their first portion of the slate..

at Minot
              Bemidji State
              at Wayne
              UMD
              at Valpo
              at Augie
              Northern State
              ----
              Moorhead
              at Mankato
              at Mary
              USF

This year they don't get CSP and they've traded UIU for Valpo.

In the strong grouping of the top 8 teams in the conference, they play 7 of those squad (no Winona)..but are at FCS Valpo instead. Clearly a tougher mix than a year ago.

Comment

UIU was also one of the only conference opponents that we could consistently win against. As cool as Valpo is, that week goes from being a good candidate for a W to being a big ?.

I think we'll compete against Valpo and I'm not ruling out a win by any means, but it's not as solid of a pick for a W.

Comment

UIU was also one of the only conference opponents that we could consistently win against. As cool as Valpo is, that week goes from being a good candidate for a W to being a big ?.

I think we'll compete against Valpo and I'm not ruling out a win by any means, but it's not as solid of a pick for a W.
                  Agreed. Valpo is favored by Massey (computer ratings) 35-17 in that contest against the Mustangs..being at home and SMSU having a lengthy drive might not help. Here is the schedule for Valpo and how Massey sees them doing..FWIW..
                  https://masseyratings.com/cf2023/8361

The game against NAIA top 10 new-power Indiana Wesl is an interesting game..and one that the NAIA team lost 20-17 a year ago. They also end their campaign with St. Thomas in MN.

In any event, my point was the SMSU schedule is maybe the hardest in the league and is tougher than a season ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post

Agreed. Valpo is favored by Massey (computer ratings) 35-17 in that contest against the Mustangs..being at home and SMSU having a lengthy drive might not help. Here is the schedule for Valpo and how Massey sees them doing..FWIW..

The game against NAIA top 10 new-power Indiana Wesl is an interesting game..and one that the NAIA team lost 20-17 a year ago. They also end their campaign with St. Thomas in MN.

In any event, my point was the SMSU schedule is maybe the hardest in the league and is tougher than a season ago.
                    Agreed based on what I've seen.

And don't get me wrong - I'm excited that we scheduled Valpo. I like that we're challenging ourselves a little in the FCS ranks, while not pulling a Western Oregon and going to a behemoth like SDSU

Comment

Was looking at schedules for the coming football season....IMO the Mustangs have the hardest schedule in the league, tied with CSP. Here is their first portion of the slate..

at Minot
                      Bemidji State
                      at Wayne
                      UMD
                      at Valpo
                      at Augie
                      Northern State
                      ----
                      Moorhead
                      at Mankato
                      at Mary
                      USF

In the strong grouping of the top 8 teams in the conference, they play 7 of those squad (no Winona)..but are at FCS Valpo instead. Clearly a tougher mix than a year ago.
                      Not to mention, I believe we're the only team (at least in the old South, I'd guess) who gets the pleasure to drive to both Minot AND Bismarck for games! Thankfully the rest of the conference road trips aren't that bad, but still that's kinda brutal.

I said it three months ago, I'd be ECSTATIC with a 2-2 start.

Comment

The move could get interesting down the stretch if Martin were to get injured. I don't know anything about our other two QBs.
                        Worth noting, it's actually "our other three QBs" now apparently, since the start of camp. True freshman Kendon Krogman, who was listed as an "athlete" when he signed in February, is now listed on the roster as a QB. Not the prettiest throwing motion but it was effective in high school at Eau Claire Regis (Wis.), where he had 20 TDs to just two INTs.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post

Worth noting, it's actually "our other three QBs" now apparently, since the start of camp. True freshman Kendon Krogman, who was listed as an "athlete" when he signed in February, is now listed on the roster as a QB. Not the prettiest throwing motion but it was effective in high school at Eau Claire Regis (Wis.), where he had 20 TDs to just two INTs.
                          That's interesting. Maybe we can straighten that out a bit.

Comment

at Minot
                            Bemidji State
                            at Wayne
                            UMD
                            at Valpo
                            at Augie
                            Northern State
                            ----
                            Moorhead
                            at Mankato
                            at Mary
                            USF

absolutely correct - we have a meat grinder this year

Comment

correct. we might be much better and repeat the 4-7 record. will be interesting to see

Comment

8 days away. wonderin where the 2 deep is.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X