Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post
    Austin has a PWO offer from Wazzu.
    Rob Schlaeger still follows his alma mater, I see! (GM at Wazzuu)

Comment

• Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post

Rob Schlaeger still follows his alma mater, I see! (GM at Wazzuu)
      Ha, that's a name I haven't learned in a long time. Wow.

He and I had a class together back in the day (which clearly explains his success).

Comment

• Originally posted by FB Player Coach & Fan View Post

This is what is wrong with the transfer portal and has been the problem since the beginningā€¦At some point, we all had over inflated views of our abilities or dreams of a D1 (higher level) or some sort of professional opportunity. I wish players or player families would put on the game film and use their eyes instead of their hearts/ego.
        But as stated, the transfer portal is not filled with upward movement that results in playing time. Wish all athletes well-but with so many RBs already in the portal and most JC RBs having 3 years to get 2. I am sure there are lateral moves available but they are just thatā€”-lateral. These kids are making these decisions without real consideration of the current situation and the real possibilities of what situation they will land. Before you jump make sure you have a parachute.
        sorry to see him go- he is a good physical D2 running back
        amen

Comment

• Originally posted by FB Player Coach & Fan View Post

This is what is wrong with the transfer portal and has been the problem since the beginningā€¦At some point, we all had over inflated views of our abilities or dreams of a D1 (higher level) or some sort of professional opportunity. I wish players or player families would put on the game film and use their eyes instead of their hearts/ego.
          But as stated, the transfer portal is not filled with upward movement that results in playing time. Wish all athletes well-but with so many RBs already in the portal and most JC RBs having 3 years to get 2. I am sure there are lateral moves available but they are just thatā€”-lateral. These kids are making these decisions without real consideration of the current situation and the real possibilities of what situation they will land. Before you jump make sure you have a parachute.
          sorry to see him go- he is a good physical D2 running back
          I predict Winona if lateral

Comment

Donald Austin entered the transfer portal.

Ouch.
            I see has a walk on offer from Wazzu. I wish him well and hope he lands on his feet.

Interesting if he would rather be a special teams player at Wazzu and pay out of state tuition of $20,000 to play football rather than getting 200 carries at SMSU. for very little cost. Interstign and he gets to make his own choice.

Like I said. Hope it works out.

Comment

Shawn Martinez, who started every game this season (ten at LG, one at C), has entered the transfer portal.
              this one stings. good player.

Comment

Blake Allen has entered the transfer portal and all ready has an offer from NAIA St. Francis.
                was not a good player. ever.

Comment

Tomele Staples has entered the portal as well.

I didn't check every player on the roster but that appears to be about it at the moment.
                  Interesting to see. You kind of figured both qbs would not be back. But the comments are interesting. It appears there was a fizzure on who should be the qb primarily along racial lines (based on social media comments I have seen). Not sure it existed during the season, but it has shown up now aftert the season.

Comment

Tomele Staples has entered the portal as well.

I didn't check every player on the roster but that appears to be about it at the moment.
                    He looked good in the one game he started. Maybe he could have won the starting job had he stayed, I guess we'll never know,

I see him ending up in NAIA not D2

Comment

Add WR Eric Lira to the list
                      Certainly might sting. Sauter recruit. Came here to catch the ball in a passing offense. Not as many passes the past 2 years with a different offense. Could be a player whose stats jump in the right offense.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrMustang View Post

was not a good player. ever.
                        Just reporting what I see.

Statistically he didn't produce a lot, but he also was the RB behind one of the best in the conference fwiw.

Technically a grad transfer.

Comment

I see has a walk on offer from Wazzu. I wish him well and hope he lands on his feet.

Interesting if he would rather be a special teams player at Wazzu and pay out of state tuition of $20,000 to play football rather than getting 200 carries at SMSU. for very little cost. Interstign and he gets to make his own choice.

Like I said. Hope it works out.
                          It was mentioned a few posts before but Rob Schlaeger is the GM at Wazzu (didn't know CFB teams had GMs). One of his responsibilities is to oversee recruiting efforts both in HS and in the portal. That's likely why DA was offered a PWO spot.

I don't think he's going to take it. My gut feeling says UST if ue goes D1, but I've got nothing to back that up

Comment

Interesting to see. You kind of figured both qbs would not be back. But the comments are interesting. It appears there was a fizzure on who should be the qb primarily along racial lines (based on social media comments I have seen). Not sure it existed during the season, but it has shown up now aftert the season.
                            That's definitely interesting, but it's an avenue I'm not going to speculate on.

He was great on his feet against USF. Had a little issue controlling the ball but never turned it over. I had a feeling he might compete for the starting spot if he stayed, but he's undersized. Could have made an interesting RB I'm sure.

Comment

• One thing I will say - I've been following SMSU FB for 10 years now. While losing Austin does sting, RB is the one position we've really excelled at. With Allen gone, I have no idea who will be our RB - but my gut tells me we'll keep plugging along.

Tonderum, Payne, Stevens, Sherwood, Austin, Simmons... I'm not concerned at all. Ideally would like to develop and underclassman, but with the portal that may not he possible anymore.

Comment

but he's undersized. Could have made an interesting RB I'm sure.
                                . On the right trackā€¦

OR maybe a big play SLOT Receiver?????

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X