Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by FB Player Coach & Fan View Post

This is what is wrong with the transfer portal and has been the problem since the beginning…At some point, we all had over inflated views of our abilities or dreams of a D1 (higher level) or some sort of professional opportunity. I wish players or player families would put on the game film and use their eyes instead of their hearts/ego.
    But as stated, the transfer portal is not filled with upward movement that results in playing time. Wish all athletes well-but with so many RBs already in the portal and most JC RBs having 3 years to get 2. I am sure there are lateral moves available but they are just that—-lateral. These kids are making these decisions without real consideration of the current situation and the real possibilities of what situation they will land. Before you jump make sure you have a parachute.
    sorry to see him go- he is a good physical D2 running back
    I'm sure it was tough being on a two-win team as one of the better backs in the conference with only a year (?) of eligibility left.

Sure gonna miss watching him and certainly wish him the best.

One of SMSU's bright spots over the last 10+ years is recruiting and developing RBs, so I think we'll be fine at the position.

Comment

• Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post
      Donald Austin entered the transfer portal.

Ouch.
      Gut feeling he stays in the NSIC. But he's a Wisconsin boy (Milwaukee area), so I could see a WIAC move as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post

Gut feeling he stays in the NSIC. But he's a Wisconsin boy (Milwaukee area), so I could see a WIAC move as well.
        A lot of these D2 players who enter the portal rarely go to another program and succeed. Its really unfortunate, a lot of variables. Instant gratification, a bit of adversity and they bolt. I think a lot of the espn, social media, my recruitment is open posts play here and it really does hurt them in the long run. Hes a good back who can help continue to build. I was disappointed to see the Gibson brothers go from UMary to Duluth but they did win more games. Interested to see where he ends up. Our QB has been to 3 different schools in 3 different years, just the nature of the beast. Will be an interesting off season.

Comment

• Shawn Martinez, who started every game this season (ten at LG, one at C), has entered the transfer portal.

Comment

• Blake Allen has entered the transfer portal and all ready has an offer from NAIA St. Francis.

Comment

• Tomele Staples has entered the portal as well.

I didn't check every player on the roster but that appears to be about it at the moment.
              Last edited by SW_Mustang; 11-16-2023, 07:48 PM.

Comment

• I think Austin wont be short on interest in the NSIC and maybe elsewhere. I get a feel that he's looking for a chance to win in his final season. He would be a great fit as a physical back for what Mankato does or UMD..etc. Epperson will be finishing up at Augie..I'm just sayin, he's a nice sized physical back who can move. Interested to see where he lands..and heard NSU was interested fwiw.

Comment

• Add WR Eric Lira to the list

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post
                    I think Austin wont be short on interest in the NSIC and maybe elsewhere. I get a feel that he's looking for a chance to win in his final season. He would be a great fit as a physical back for what Mankato does or UMD..etc. Epperson will be finishing up at Augie..I'm just sayin, he's a nice sized physical back who can move. Interested to see where he lands..and heard NSU was interested fwiw.

Those may well be lateral landing spots-in terms of level of play. Lateral was not the direction they were looking initially—but time will show where the interest is and how much interest there is—- I hear the safety from Northern, that entered the portal earlier this week, has drawn a lot of interest/offers already within the conference as well as outside the conference.

He and/or family, was looking for a path to the NFL. Not sure how realistic or self aware this aspiration might be — but you always have to have goals and the realization that real life doesn’t always end like a Disney move.

Comment

Add WR Eric Lira to the list
                      Ouch. Was a bright spot this year.

Comment

• I guess this is the new reality for the program. I knew deep down it would be but had hoped some of these guys would stick around.

I was thinking about it on my drive through Marshall - guys like Kern, Gimbel, Tonderum, etc. Many were there through some tough seasons and got to build for the better ones. I wonder if we'll really ever see anything like that again?

Comment

• Austin has a PWO offer from Wazzu.

Comment

• Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post
                            Austin has a PWO offer from Wazzu.
                            Not sure why anyone with only one year of eligibility would even consider a PWO- unless you want to sit on the sidelines and experience a Big time program.
                            if there were scholarship money offered, then there would be playing time opportunity.
                            PWOs are guys you like- generally can’t help you short term but hope they can develop over time. I always advised players that were being recruited-the amount ($) they are willing to invest in you; is a reflection of what they think you can bring to their program.

Comment

• Originally posted by FB Player Coach & Fan View Post

Not sure why anyone with only one year of eligibility would even consider a PWO- unless you want to sit on the sidelines and experience a Big time program.
                              if there were scholarship money offered, then there would be playing time opportunity.
                              PWOs are guys you like- generally can’t help you short term but hope they can develop over time. I always advised players that were being recruited-the amount ($) they are willing to invest in you; is a reflection of what they think you can bring to their program.
                              It's standard now for recruits to tweet out their offers. Has been for some time I guess.

I doubt he takes this one even though it's a P5 offer. If I had to predict, I think he will take an FCS offer. Only time will tell.

I am following him and Lira to see where they land.

Comment

Quite a few WI guys at UMD, he can come finish up there.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X