Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post
    Lots I could say about that game - but given we had nothing tangible to play for, we sure played hard. Great way to close out an otherwise dismal year.

First D2 win against USF too.
    They definitely haven’t quit on their coach…

Comment

• Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
      They definitely haven’t quit on their coach…
      Definitely. In terms of demeanor, this bunch did not look like a 1-win team. It was very refreshing.

Comment

• Donald Austin was announced as the OPOW this week. 184 yards and 3 TDs.

Definitely showed some more explosiveness which was nice to see.

Comment

• Well that was a good win and good way to end season

Several have mentioned it, but it was great to see them not quit. We knew the schedule was tough at the start and it showed. Having said that we beat Valpo, I think we win 3 mores games and go 5-6. But we didn't and as such the record was a disappointment.

Small smale size, but Staples impressed me. I have already seen some stuff on social media that makes me a little worried about some team divison at qb. Hopefully both return as both can get better. I also hear they like Krogman who redshirted.

I hear good things about a couple of the redshirt running backs.

I will try and avoid making too many predictions, because we have no idea what kids will leave. Underwood had an interesting stat on the radio -- only 22% of the kids who enter the portal ever play again. 78% don't land elsewhere and are just done. I hope the young kids on our roster who hung in there this year as redshirts or backups kee that in mind and stay the course. we need that for depth.

I hear we have UNK as the NC next year instead of Valpo, UNK had a disappointing year, but they will be tougher than Valpo. Will be an interesting off season.

Comment

• Originally posted by MrMustang View Post

I hear we have UNK as the NC next year instead of Valpo, UNK had a disappointing year, but they will be tougher than Valpo. Will be an interesting off season.
            Wonder what will happen to the the Home / Away deals that were signed going into this season when the Jimmies join the NSIC and silo schedules are set for next season. Jamestown paying the contract breakage fees or will the conference?

Comment

• Originally posted by MrMustang View Post

Small smale size, but Staples impressed me. I have already seen some stuff on social media that makes me a little worried about some team divison at qb. Hopefully both return as both can get better. I also hear they like Krogman who redshirted.

I will try and avoid making too many predictions, because we have no idea what kids will leave. Underwood had an interesting stat on the radio -- only 22% of the kids who enter the portal ever play again. 78% don't land elsewhere and are just done. I hope the young kids on our roster who hung in there this year as redshirts or backups kee that in mind and stay the course. we need that for depth.
              Would kind of like to see Martin start as the upperclassmen, and then utilize Staples if needed - maybe in shorter field situations or something. Having both would make me feel much more comfortable about the QB situation.

He's right about the portal numbers, absolutely. It's a huge gamble for the players.

Comment

• Originally posted by BulldogFan View Post

Wonder what will happen to the the Home / Away deals that were signed going into this season when the Jimmies join the NSIC and silo schedules are set for next season. Jamestown paying the contract breakage fees or will the conference?
                Not yet confirmed but I've heard we can expect one more season of non-con games regardless of what happens with the Jimmies.
                4x 'Crackerjack' NAIA National Champions - 1996, 2006, 2008, 2009
                2016 NSIC Champions
                🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑

Comment

• Originally posted by Otis Day View Post

Not yet confirmed but I've heard we can expect one more season of non-con games regardless of what happens with the Jimmies.
                  I guess that makes the most sense. Although I'm not sure which team would hurt SoS more, Jamestown or N. Michigan.

Comment

• I was hoping we could have another shot at the PFL next season. But I guess it's not meant to be. UNK will be a good opponent though.

Comment

I was hoping we could have another shot at the PFL next season. But I guess it's not meant to be. UNK will be a good opponent though.
                      Will be a solid shot for an out of conference win although I would have loved for you guys to go and beat Valpo.

Comment

Would kind of like to see Martin start as the upperclassmen, and then utilize Staples if needed - maybe in shorter field situations or something. Having both would make me feel much more comfortable about the QB situation.

He's right about the portal numbers, absolutely. It's a huge gamble for the players.
                        I am one for optimism, living in the mind of a pessimistic SOB!
                        SMSU as a team gave great effort and played the way they are expected to play against Sioux Falls. after a tough loss & season that showed competitiveness, character & the coaches still have & control the team. Sioux Falls played like they had somewhere else they would rather be than playing football last Saturday. Also, the offense scored the same number of points against Sioux Falls as they did against Mary. Lastly, and most importantly Sioux Falls defense was terrible; the worst defense in the conference (I’m sure Sioux Falls fans are aware of this)- to SF credit, they are young on defense. Before we go making personnel changes based on one game keep all that in mind.

Let’s see who is staying and who chooses to leave.
                        SMSU is relatively young with a lot of Jrs and Sophs playing key roles and starting on both sides of the ball. On offense they need to add an OL or 2-and add explosiveness/speed to the skilled positions. On defense, one of two routes: add DL that can pressure QB without blitzing or add better backend players if they are going to rely on blitz packages to get pressure. And if I’m getting greedy, like every other college football team in America add a DT that can anchor run defense and get a push up the middle versus the pass.

Entering the transfer portal is a huge gamble for players. You will always hear about the 20-50 that find better & successful fits-but there are two thousand plus that enter the portal. I think at one point last year I heard the number in the portal was 3000— I am no math major but those are not great odds.

Comment

• Originally posted by BulldogFan View Post

Will be a solid shot for an out of conference win although I would have loved for you guys to go and beat Valpo.
                          Same. I was at USF that week and definitely felt that loss through the phone. It's not good enough knowing we were the better team, we needed to prove it.

UNK is one I'm definitely circling. Home or away I'd like to be there.

Comment

• Originally posted by FB Player Coach & Fan View Post

I am one for optimism, living in the mind of a pessimistic SOB!
                            SMSU as a team gave great effort and played the way they are expected to play against Sioux Falls. after a tough loss & season that showed competitiveness, character & the coaches still have & control the team. Sioux Falls played like they had somewhere else they would rather be than playing football last Saturday. Also, the offense scored the same number of points against Sioux Falls as they did against Mary. Lastly, and most importantly Sioux Falls defense was terrible; the worst defense in the conference (I’m sure Sioux Falls fans are aware of this)- to SF credit, they are young on defense. Before we go making personnel changes based on one game keep all that in mind.

Let’s see who is staying and who chooses to leave.
                            SMSU is relatively young with a lot of Jrs and Sophs playing key roles and starting on both sides of the ball. On offense they need to add an OL or 2-and add explosiveness/speed to the skilled positions. On defense, one of two routes: add DL that can pressure QB without blitzing or add better backend players if they are going to rely on blitz packages to get pressure. And if I’m getting greedy, like every other college football team in America add a DT that can anchor run defense and get a push up the middle versus the pass.

Entering the transfer portal is a huge gamble for players. You will always hear about the 20-50 that find better & successful fits-but there are two thousand plus that enter the portal. I think at one point last year I heard the number in the portal was 3000— I am no math major but those are not great odds.
                            I'm sure most guys going into the portal are bench players looking to land elsewhere with a better chance. I also think we'll start to see a trend where players that enter the portal will no longer be welcome at their original school. I've heard Texas already does it this way. Still though, I do think there is a big risk of putting one's name in the hat.

We played like we had nothing to lose, and the guys on the sidelines were definitely into it. It felt like flashes of the 2013-2016 era at times. Crowd was bigger than I thought it was going to be and they really seemed to enjoy themselves too. This year was abysmal, but we pulled it all together in the final week. Sure, USF clearly didn't want to be there - but all's equal after the coin flip as far as I'm concerned. Happy to see Underwood reel the guys in for one last show this year.

Comment

• Donald Austin entered the transfer portal.

Ouch.

Comment

Donald Austin entered the transfer portal.

Ouch.
                                This is what is wrong with the transfer portal and has been the problem since the beginning…At some point, we all had over inflated views of our abilities or dreams of a D1 (higher level) or some sort of professional opportunity. I wish players or player families would put on the game film and use their eyes instead of their hearts/ego.
                                But as stated, the transfer portal is not filled with upward movement that results in playing time. Wish all athletes well-but with so many RBs already in the portal and most JC RBs having 3 years to get 2. I am sure there are lateral moves available but they are just that—-lateral. These kids are making these decisions without real consideration of the current situation and the real possibilities of what situation they will land. Before you jump make sure you have a parachute.
                                sorry to see him go- he is a good physical D2 running back

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X