Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comment

• Yup, that's the one. The thing I feel like SMSU always was lacking in was this type of community engagement. I was down in Vermillion for the USD game and they had something similar - decent amount of people were there for it. They booked a band called the "Canby Misfits" too!

Hopefully it translates into a few more ticket sales, but even if not - I'm still excited for this.

Comment

• Happy Duluth week, gents!

Comment

• Blake slapped my hand so hard after that pass it was sore for a bit. Best feeling in the world.

I'll never forget watching him pace back and forth behind the bench before that throw. He was not paying any attention to the game. He had full confidence in his defense and was getting himself focused and ready.

Easily the best feeling I've ever had as a Mustang fan watching that ending.

Comment

• Strange, strange game. Can't believe I'm saying this after a blowout, but the defense played pretty well. The offense kept turning the ball over which gave UMD way too many chances. Not happy with the showing this afternoon.

I didn't get to take much in of the pre-game festivities, but from what I saw I kinda liked it. I saw some UMD fans enjoying the offerings too. Hopefully we continue doing this and hopefully it grows. I heard business involvement was complimentary which is neat too. Definitely added a level of atmosphere to the afternoon.

Comment

• Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post
              Strange, strange game. Can't believe I'm saying this after a blowout, but the defense played pretty well. The offense kept turning the ball over which gave UMD way too many chances. Not happy with the showing this afternoon.

I didn't get to take much in of the pre-game festivities, but from what I saw I kinda liked it. I saw some UMD fans enjoying the offerings too. Hopefully we continue doing this and hopefully it grows. I heard business involvement was complimentary which is neat too. Definitely added a level of atmosphere to the afternoon.
              Pretty good analysis. I agree looking at the score you would not think the defense played well, but they did. Held Walljasper in check for the most part and played very hard.

Lots of growing pains with Marcus Martin. He holds the ball way too long. He had guys open and didn't pull the trigger, then after holding it too long, help on and got sacked instead of throwing it away. A work in progress for sure.

Martin's struggles hurt Donnie Austin. He ran well for awhile, but once we became one dimensional, Austin had nowhere to go.

Also the turnovers are now just ridiculous. The biggest difference last year is we did not turn it over much and this year we are.

I say we win by 11 over Valpo !

Comment

• Originally posted by MrMustang View Post

Pretty good analysis. I agree looking at the score you would not think the defense played well, but they did. Held Walljasper in check for the most part and played very hard.

Lots of growing pains with Marcus Martin. He holds the ball way too long. He had guys open and didn't pull the trigger, then after holding it too long, help on and got sacked instead of throwing it away. A work in progress for sure.

Martin's struggles hurt Donnie Austin. He ran well for awhile, but once we became one dimensional, Austin had nowhere to go.

Also the turnovers are now just ridiculous. The biggest difference last year is we did not turn it over much and this year we are.

I say we win by 11 over Valpo !
                Yup, agreed. Even more odd is the stat lines from the QBs - KW was 11-22 for 162 yards, MM was 12/25 with 159 yards. Obviously the narrative changes a bit when looking at TD-INT and sacks. Though KW's one passing TD was a garbage time flip into the endzone, and one of MM's INTs was in lieu of a punt... Strange stuff.

It's like we have a competent football team in there somewhere. When DA got the ball and could run, he was as good as I expected him to be. Not as explosive as Jesse Sherwood was (IMO), but incredibly reliable.

No moral victories for me on this one - and it was one of the more bizarre games I've ever watched, but with the right tweaks, maybe we compete against Valpo.

Will see the Stangs play on the road against Mankato, not sure if I'll be able to see them play anymore. Had intended to make the trip out to Valpo but it just didn't work out so I'll be at USF instead.

Comment

• Saw on Twitter from Witt that Jesse Sherwood will be joining/did join the NSIC podcast for the week.

Comment

• [QUOTE=SW_Mustang;n777179]

Yup, agreed. Even more odd is the stat lines from the QBs - KW was 11-22 for 162 yards, MM was 12/25 with 159 yards. Obviously the narrative changes a bit when looking at TD-INT and sacks. Though KW's one passing TD was a garbage time flip into the endzone, and one of MM's INTs was in lieu of a punt... Strange stuff.

It's like we have a competent football team in there somewhere. When DA got the ball and could run, he was as good as I expected him to be. Not as explosive as Jesse Sherwood was (IMO), but incredibly reliable.

No moral victories for me on this one - and it was one of the more bizarre games I've ever watched, but with the right tweaks, maybe we compete against Valpo.

SMSU played some tough defense for most of the game. Was not overly impressed with Dulth’s QB, more of a glorified fullback-who doesn’t throw it very well. Duluth’s defense looked good—not as good as Bemidji DL, but the defensive pressures/blitz’s make it tough anytime you fall behind the sticks on offense. SMSU has moved the ball in each of the losses, especially in the Bemidji game. The turnovers & unforced mistakes (dropped passes & penalties) have put them in tough spots for a team that wants to play ball control. Cannot make those mistakes, while trying to play ball control and not putting points on the board at the end of each drive. Austin runs hard has nice feet and vision, but is not going to have long runs, another reason not to play from behind the sticks (2nd & 3rd and long). Martin is young-this is still his Freshman season in terms of number of starts. Threw the ball very well against Minot & Bemidji. He needs to reduce the turnovers and learn to play the position a little more effectively. Hopefully, he will grow & learn for the remainder of the season. OL injuries have not helped run game or pass pro. Feels weird to say this; but SMSU doesn’t feel like they are very far (despite scores of last 2 games) away from being competitive, if they can eliminate or cut down on the turnovers & unforced errors.

Comment

• Originally posted by FB Player Coach & Fan View Post

SMSU played some tough defense for most of the game. Was not overly impressed with Dulth’s QB, more of a glorified fullback-who doesn’t throw it very well. Duluth’s defense looked good—not as good as Bemidji DL, but the defensive pressures/blitz’s make it tough anytime you fall behind the sticks on offense. SMSU has moved the ball in each of the losses, especially in the Bemidji game. The turnovers & unforced mistakes (dropped passes & penalties) have put them in tough spots for a team that wants to play ball control. Cannot make those mistakes, while trying to play ball control and not putting points on the board at the end of each drive. Austin runs hard has nice feet and vision, but is not going to have long runs, another reason not to play from behind the sticks (2nd & 3rd and long). Martin is young-this is still his Freshman season in terms of number of starts. Threw the ball very well against Minot & Bemidji. He needs to reduce the turnovers and learn to play the position a little more effectively. Hopefully, he will grow & learn for the remainder of the season. OL injuries have not helped run game or pass pro. Feels weird to say this; but SMSU doesn’t feel like they are very far (despite scores of last 2 games) away from being competitive, if they can eliminate or cut down on the turnovers & unforced errors.
                      Having actually made it to this game in person, I agree - and believe me, I don't want too after a 1-2 start. There's a competitive team in there somewhere. The pieces seem to be there, it's just getting them to fit together cleanly is the goal now.

I chose Valpo this week because I don't think we're quite there yet, but the latter half of the season could be interesting. And a W is not out of the realm of possibility.

Also, I like to give new HCs at least a couple years to get acclimated. Trying to play out the remnants of the old roster, while developing the incoming guys just takes a little longer than a year (IMO). Given that, I expect bumps along the way. But if the '13-'16 era of SMSU had defenses that gave up FGs instead of TDs, things would have been much different - so I'm trying to be a little patient.

Comment

• Happy Valpo Day to all who celebrate!

I was unable to attend in-person which kinda bummed me out, but such is life. Hopefully we bring home a win.

Comment

• Not taking a moral victory on this one. We should have won and didn't.

No excuse to have a 3rd and 41 or whatever that situation was from the 14. A TD, or even a chip shot FG - and we won.

Comment

• Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post
                            Not taking a moral victory on this one. We should have won and didn't.

No excuse to have a 3rd and 41 or whatever that situation was from the 14. A TD, or even a chip shot FG - and we won.
                            Agreed, but the same story making 1/2 mistakes that cost them or prevent finishing the drive. Defense played very well, gave up QB draw and one long pass play. Offense, one fumble set up Valpo score. Then late, great play action pass call gets them down to the 14 yard line—-in prime position to score to win the game—-and the center sails a snap for a 20+yard loss leaving them 2nd and 39. Disappointing, seeing similar breakdowns or self inflicted mistakes continue to pop up. SMSU deserved to win; but didn’t earn it—-if that makes sense.

Comment

• Thought the thread might enjoy this article on Mike Koster of the Gophers - with ties to SMSU.

https://www.therinklive.com/mens-col...%2D24%20season.

Comment

• Originally posted by FB Player Coach & Fan View Post

Agreed, but the same story making 1/2 mistakes that cost them or prevent finishing the drive. Defense played very well, gave up QB draw and one long pass play. Offense, one fumble set up Valpo score. Then late, great play action pass call gets them down to the 14 yard line—-in prime position to score to win the game—-and the center sails a snap for a 20+yard loss leaving them 2nd and 39. Disappointing, seeing similar breakdowns or self inflicted mistakes continue to pop up. SMSU deserved to win; but didn’t earn it—-if that makes sense.
                                I agree. Like I said last week, we got a football team in there somewhere.

At this point, I'd like to see us finish strong and regroup for next year.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X