Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post
    My measuring stick for AU in year 1 was UST in their year 1. It's absolutely an apples-to-oranges comparison that I'm still choosing to make regardless - and AU is doing much better than UST did, and saying that this early is something.

I rarely give props to any hockey team other than my own - but Augie is putting together an interesting season. They weren't going to beat Mike Hastings and Wisconsin - but it seems anything after that is fair game.

Will keep an eye on you guys since you are technically my local team now.
    Augustana and St Thomas are different situations. Augie built a D1 program from scratch over a couple of years and had support (money) and the transfer portal (recent development). St Thomas had to transition an existing D3 hockey program. While they had support (money), they have a lot of hurdles for D1 level facilities. And the transfer portal was not yet what it is today. Kudos to both programs. D1 college hockey is unique in that it isn't dominated by the biggest and richest schools. I'm happier seeing St Thomas, Augustana, and Lindenwood in D1 than FBS schools.

Comment

Originally posted by njmav1 View Post

Augustana and St Thomas are different situations. Augie built a D1 program from scratch over a couple of years and had support (money) and the transfer portal (recent development). St Thomas had to transition an existing D3 hockey program. While they had support (money), they have a lot of hurdles for D1 level facilities. And the transfer portal was not yet what it is today. Kudos to both programs. D1 college hockey is unique in that it isn't dominated by the biggest and richest schools. I'm happier seeing St Thomas, Augustana, and Lindenwood in D1 than FBS schools.
      Yup, like I said - it's absolutely apples-to-oranges. UST had decades of a hockey infrastructure, but they also joined a hot CCHA with a D3 roster. Augie has a D1 roster, but it was cobbled together quickly and they have no history. DIII or otherwise. Neither team currently has their own arena, but Augie has better rented facilities at their disposal and will get their home arena before UST does.

That being said, they are both similar lower division private schools in their state's respective metro areas, and their hockey teams seem to be on par with each other at this point. Augie has the advantage of having the Stampede and Power in their territory, while UST benefits from being in the middle of traditional hockey country. I'm curious to see where both wind up in a few years.

I agree - I love that hockey is a gauntlet among the 3 divisions. I remember when D3 Union beat FBS Minnesota in the championship game. There's nothing else like it in college sports. Having 60-ish teams also makes it a shootout where anyone has a realistic chance of making waves.

Comment

One last point to highlight is that Sioux Falls is hosting the NCAA Regional this year - so if any Augie fans want an intro to college hockey, that's a good place to look.

They don't draw super well attendance wise typically, but there will be a handful of really good teams playing each other over the course of a couple days.

Alright, now back to football!

Comment

Saturday's loss to Wayne St. is proof of the old adage " Truth is stranger then fiction". Vikings has 289 yards of offense to Waynes 20. Augie couldn't take advantage of -69 yards from bad snaps. 3ints 1 fumble including a pick six. Augie also missed a FG. All in all, it was a sh#t show for Augie. Throw memory of Sat. away and move onto Northern. Congrats to WSC 90% of life is showing up.

Comment

Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post
            Saturday's loss to Wayne St. is proof of the old adage " Truth is stranger then fiction". Vikings has 289 yards of offense to Waynes 20. Augie couldn't take advantage of -69 yards from bad snaps. 3ints 1 fumble including a pick six. Augie also missed a FG. All in all, it was a sh#t show for Augie. Throw memory of Sat. away and move onto Northern. Congrats to WSC 90% of life is showing up.
            One of the strangest games I have ever seen. Certainly the oddest box score I've seen for a team that won

Comment

We didn't miss a field goal yesterday. Special teams is one thing we did do well yesterday!

Comment

Originally posted by AU guy View Post

We didn't miss a field goal yesterday. Special teams is one thing we did do well yesterday!
                Thank you for correcting me. I should have read the box score, rather than my clouded memory. Time to move on to a good Northern State University team. They're itching to end a 13 game losing streak against Augustana. It's AU first game at their beautiful stadium.

Comment

Alright, now back to football!
                  Yeah, after Saturday, let's stick to Hockey-Talk.

Comment

Completely Off-Topic.

Seriously, on the hockey thread tho...

As someone who has only been exposed to a handful of NHL games, and then a couple of seasons of CHL/NAHL hockey I am one of those Augie fans who has little to no hockey knowledge. Midco will be a great venue and I will have to make my trips up there coincide with Hockey games. College Hockey is a completely different animal from what I gather and it is a huge get for Augustana. Couple of the players and my kid have become friends and they are tremendous young men.

At the risk of the entire thread giving me an eye-roll, I have to say that Icing is likely the most confusing rule in all of sports not counting cricket (in which the rules are intentionally confusing).

Comment

Originally posted by WPHB View Post
                      Completely Off-Topic.

Seriously, on the hockey thread tho...

As someone who has only been exposed to a handful of NHL games, and then a couple of seasons of CHL/NAHL hockey I am one of those Augie fans who has little to no hockey knowledge. Midco will be a great venue and I will have to make my trips up there coincide with Hockey games. College Hockey is a completely different animal from what I gather and it is a huge get for Augustana. Couple of the players and my kid have become friends and they are tremendous young men.

At the risk of the entire thread giving me an eye-roll, I have to say that Icing is likely the most confusing rule in all of sports not counting cricket (in which the rules are intentionally confusing).
                      Icing is when an opponent clears the puck across the goal line. The rule is in place to keep teams from firing the puck down the ice on defense all the time. There are times where it might make sense to ice the puck and take a chance in the face off.

Icing, however, is waived when a team is on a penalty kill since they are down a player ("short handed"). That's ultimately what makes the rule confusing is because the refs will call icing every time, then suddenly they won't for a while.

Midco will be a great arena and Sioux Falls - heck, Eastern SD is a rapidly growing hockey community. I know it's not the full D1 jump Augie was looking for, but there's a lot of potential here.

If you make it back up sometime and Augie is not playing hockey, try to check out the Stampede of the USHL. It's the level above the NAHL and the Herd have one of the better followings in the league.

Comment

Icing is when an opponent clears the puck across the goal line. The rule is in place to keep teams from firing the puck down the ice on defense all the time. There are times where it might make sense to ice the puck and take a chance in the face off.

Icing, however, is waived when a team is on a penalty kill since they are down a player ("short handed"). That's ultimately what makes the rule confusing is because the refs will call icing every time, then suddenly they won't for a while.

Midco will be a great arena and Sioux Falls - heck, Eastern SD is a rapidly growing hockey community. I know it's not the full D1 jump Augie was looking for, but there's a lot of potential here.

If you make it back up sometime and Augie is not playing hockey, try to check out the Stampede of the USHL. It's the level above the NAHL and the Herd have one of the better followings in the league.
                        From their side of the center line.

Augie could be a big time player in college hockey sooner than later. Hockey fans in Sioux Falls should be very excited.

Comment

So no shooting the puck from your side of the center line unless said team has a player in the penalty box?

Comment

So no shooting the puck from your side of the center line unless said team has a player in the penalty box?
                            In general yes, but there are situations where you do want to ice the puck. For example, if your goalie or defenseman has lost their stick. Or if the attacking team has fresh players on the ice and the defending team is out of gas.

Comment

Originally posted by njmav1 View Post

In general yes, but there are situations where you do want to ice the puck. For example, if your goalie or defenseman has lost their stick. Or if the attacking team has fresh players on the ice and the defending team is out of gas.
                              Thanks, I learned something new today already. Is there a penalty for Icing?

Comment

Thanks, I learned something new today already. Is there a penalty for Icing?
                                No penalty. Face-off occurs in the icing teams zone (the circles with dots near the goal) :)

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X