Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MrMustang View Post

Lots going on in these kid's heads. No clue what drives them and motivates them.

I just don't buy into the grass always being greener elsewhere.

And always a gamble going JUCO. He only has one year at a JUCO - no matter what and they all bring in 2-3 qbs so nothing is guaranteed, even at a JUCO.

Known entity here and I liked his play last year- and felt he was going to be a good one.

But wish him well if he leaves. Hard to be a coach these days with the transfer portal.
    It's just speculation on my part. Like I said, I don't know him personally. Maybe unfair of me to speculate, but that's also why we have a message board.

He had offers from Princeton, Columbia, and hometown USD. To give up those opportunities to come to SMSU is a big gamble in its' own right.

But, it's time to move on. We have our guy in Martin.

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

It's just speculation on my part. Like I said, I don't know him personally. Maybe unfair of me to speculate, but that's also why we have a message board.

He had offers from Princeton, Columbia, and hometown USD. To give up those opportunities to come to SMSU is a big gamble in its' own right.

But, it's time to move on. We have our guy in Martin.
      Maybe there is a cute Minnesota girl that has him grounded at SMSU. HaHa!

Comment

Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post

Maybe there is a cute Minnesota girl that has him grounded at SMSU. HaHa!
        Haha!

Comment

I may be incorrect, but I believe that though all three schools mentioned are D1, I don't think any of them offer athletic scholarships. Depending on how much money SMSU threw at him, it might not be as crazy as one might think. As a guy who finished playing at Northern a couple seasons ago, I used to be in agreement with you in regards to players transfering too quickly/ taking the easy way out. However, one thing we have to remember is most of the players in the NSIC/ D2 are not on full scholarships and I can guarantee you that every roster in the conference has starters on scholarships worth less than half of what tuition costs. In a lot of ways, while yes we do get help financially, it still is "pay-to-play" for most players. If you are racking up thousands in student debt playing a sport, you better be enjoying it. If not, why not transfer to have a better experience. You only get one shot to be a college athlete.

Comment

Originally posted by unknown View Post

I may be incorrect, but I believe that though all three schools mentioned are D1, I don't think any of them offer athletic scholarships. Depending on how much money SMSU threw at him, it might not be as crazy as one might think. As a guy who finished playing at Northern a couple seasons ago, I used to be in agreement with you in regards to players transfering too quickly/ taking the easy way out. However, one thing we have to remember is most of the players in the NSIC/ D2 are not on full scholarships and I can guarantee you that every roster in the conference has starters on scholarships worth less than half of what tuition costs. In a lot of ways, while yes we do get help financially, it still is "pay-to-play" for most players. If you are racking up thousands in student debt playing a sport, you better be enjoying it. If not, why not transfer to have a better experience. You only get one shot to be a college athlete.
            You make some good points, and I agree with you. Yes, those three schools do not offer athletic scholarships (and he had others that do). USD was a hometown option, and the other two... I gotta be honest, but I was kinda shocked to see he passed those up to come to SMSU. A once-in-a-lifetime chance at a top tier, elite, and world class education, and he picks Marshall? Academically speaking, he has to be one of only a handful that have made that decision (if not the only one). I love SMSU, but we aren't Columbia.

But then like I said, I'm not him nor do I know him well enough to know his intentions. It's all speculation. Maybe football was more important to him than academics, which is absolutely fine.

It stings because he was easily the biggest recruit of all time for us - I remember when we signed Connor Wilkie and that was a big deal, and this was 10x that. But like I said, there's no ill-feelings on my end and I wish him the best. We have our guy in Martin - who I did enjoy watching last year.

Comment

You make some good points, and I agree with you. Yes, those three schools do not offer athletic scholarships (and he had others that do). USD was a hometown option, and the other two... I gotta be honest, but I was kinda shocked to see he passed those up to come to SMSU. A once-in-a-lifetime chance at a top tier, elite, and world class education, and he picks Marshall? Academically speaking, he has to be one of only a handful that have made that decision (if not the only one). I love SMSU, but we aren't Columbia.

But then like I said, I'm not him nor do I know him well enough to know his intentions. It's all speculation. Maybe football was more important to him than academics, which is absolutely fine.

It stings because he was easily the biggest recruit of all time for us - I remember when we signed Connor Wilkie and that was a big deal, and this was 10x that. But like I said, there's no ill-feelings on my end and I wish him the best. We have our guy in Martin - who I did enjoy watching last year.
              My 2nd cousin did something even dumber than that! He was offered to go play (debatable if he would have ever seen the field) at Princeton/Harvard/Yale but decided to go be a practice guy at Minnesota. Was he technically part of the team? Kind of? You won't find his name on any sort of roster but he did practice for/with the team. I understand he passed on FCS for Big Ten but he passed up the best academic schools in the country for being a piss on guy at a garbage football school. He did that one year and gave it up. I never understood it. I never will.

Comment

Originally posted by zimmy21 View Post

My 2nd cousin did something even dumber than that! He was offered to go play (debatable if he would have ever seen the field) at Princeton/Harvard/Yale but decided to go be a practice guy at Minnesota. Was he technically part of the team? Kind of? You won't find his name on any sort of roster but he did practice for/with the team. I understand he passed on FCS for Big Ten but he passed up the best academic schools in the country for being a piss on guy at a garbage football school. He did that one year and gave it up. I never understood it. I never will.
                Wow, ouch. I mean, Minnesota is a great school in their own right - but those are three of the best schools in the world. Yikes.

I think people get too caught up in labels. Being the peon at a Big10 program is objectively worse than starting at DIII. It really sorts out who loves the game and who doesn't though.

Comment

I think you guys are looking at it wrong. I doubt most guys walk on at a D1 thinking. "I'll be on the practice squad for 5 years." I would imagine most do it thinking they can work their way into a roster spot or a schollie, eventually.

Philosophically, they probably look at it as challenging themselves at the highest level instead of settling for a lower level.

It's just a matter of perspective, imo.

Although, the reality is that D1 schools tend to lock in hard on frame size, speed, etc, so some walk ons aren't going to have a real shot, no matter what.

Comment

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post
                    I think you guys are looking at it wrong. I doubt most guys walk on at a D1 thinking. "I'll be on the practice squad for 5 years." I would imagine most do it thinking they can work their way into a roster spot or a schollie, eventually.

Philosophically, they probably look at it as challenging themselves at the highest level instead of settling for a lower level.

It's just a matter of perspective, imo.

Although, the reality is that D1 schools tend to lock in hard on frame size, speed, etc, so some walk ons aren't going to have a real shot, no matter what.
                    I mean... that's fair. I doubt that's anyone's expectation, but still... I think some of these kids could use a dose of reality. If it's someone's dream to play D1, they should absolutely chase it - but realistically, if your two options are Ivy League or a "chance" Minnesota (for example), there may be some writing on the wall and an obvious choice.

Comment

I mean... that's fair. I doubt that's anyone's expectation, but still... I think some of these kids could use a dose of reality. If it's someone's dream to play D1, they should absolutely chase it - but realistically, if your two options are Ivy League or a "chance" Minnesota (for example), there may be some writing on the wall and an obvious choice.
                      Especially when you factor in that he always wanted to be in politics. Which he currently is an assistant for some Republican out of ND

Comment

Especially when you factor in that he always wanted to be in politics. Which he currently is an assistant for some Republican out of ND
                        Yeah. I mean, if you're only getting FCS offers and want to make a go at FBS - do you, but it just seems like going FCS is a better route.

North Dakota, eh?

Comment

My 2nd cousin did something even dumber than that! He was offered to go play (debatable if he would have ever seen the field) at Princeton/Harvard/Yale but decided to go be a practice guy at Minnesota. Was he technically part of the team? Kind of? You won't find his name on any sort of roster but he did practice for/with the team. I understand he passed on FCS for Big Ten but he passed up the best academic schools in the country for being a piss-on guy at a garbage football school. He did that one year and gave it up. I never understood it. I never will.
                          Okay, completely understand that, and would most of the time agree with that statement, but a couple of variables that go in here we need to appreciate...

I know a kid who had the opportunity to go Ivy, but four things made the decision easy to not do. First off was the price tag. 70K a year. There was some academic aid but not nearly enough to make a serious dent in that cost. Second was the academics, it is a really intimidating hyper-competitive environment. Especially, when you will also have a full-time job as an athlete. Third was the distance. Even though the kid decided on a school far from home, it still felt like a lifetime away. Lastly, there is an elitism within some of the Ivies and New England schools which some kids just aren't comfortable with.

Again, not knowing your cousin's situation, may have been the worst decision ever, but the kid I know made a good choice. He would not have done well there and been back home after his first year looking to do something different.

Of course the kid I know wasn't looking at a political career or anything like that.

Comment

Originally posted by WPHB View Post

Okay, completely understand that, and would most of the time agree with that statement, but a couple of variables that go in here we need to appreciate...

I know a kid who had the opportunity to go Ivy, but four things made the decision easy to not do. First off was the price tag. 70K a year. There was some academic aid but not nearly enough to make a serious dent in that cost. Second was the academics, it is a really intimidating hyper-competitive environment. Especially, when you will also have a full-time job as an athlete. Third was the distance. Even though the kid decided on a school far from home, it still felt like a lifetime away. Lastly, there is an elitism within some of the Ivies and New England schools which some kids just aren't comfortable with.

Again, not knowing your cousin's situation, may have been the worst decision ever, but the kid I know made a good choice. He would not have done well there and been back home after his first year looking to do something different.

Of course the kid I know wasn't looking at a political career or anything like that.
                            I hear what you're saying, without going in to too much detail just know he was the middle son of a really well to do family who's dad was a higher up at General Mills. Went to a private school for High School. Never had to worry about money in his life. Money was not the issue, the distance thing? Could be. I can't say it didn't work out for him in the end because he is currently sitting in the staff office for a Senator from ND but I think he was getting into politics regardless with his ties from his father.

Comment

I never got the "homesick" thing. I wanted maximum distance between me and my hometown - though it didn't work out that way in reality.

To each their own.

Comment

Minot state recruited some good freshman qbs. And a transfer from Portland State. So there should be good competition in the qb room.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X