Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jaydin20 View Post
    Minot state recruited some good freshman qbs. And a transfer from Portland State. So there should be good competition in the qb room.
    Good for MSU. Hopefully the Beavers can become competitive in the near future,

Comment

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post
      I think you guys are looking at it wrong. I doubt most guys walk on at a D1 thinking. "I'll be on the practice squad for 5 years." I would imagine most do it thinking they can work their way into a roster spot or a schollie, eventually.

Philosophically, they probably look at it as challenging themselves at the highest level instead of settling for a lower level.

It's just a matter of perspective, imo.

Although, the reality is that D1 schools tend to lock in hard on frame size, speed, etc, so some walk ons aren't going to have a real shot, no matter what.
      Yes and no. Guys that are PWO probably feel they have a shot as they were recruited at some level to come there. So I agree those guys think they can play. But there are plenty of guys that try out and end up walking on that yes they hope to play but know it’s a huge long shot. But they are at their dream school and they just want to be a part of the team. Get some gear, travel to bowl games, maybe get to dress out every now and the and/or travel.

Comment

Originally posted by jaydin20 View Post
        Minot state recruited some good freshman qbs. And a transfer from Portland State. So there should be good competition in the qb room.
        jaydin, do you have any of the new signal-callers names..their roster isn't showing anyone from Portland State, etc. Thanks.

Comment

....had some time on my hands first thing this morning and did some sleuthing and came up with this. Portland State had 7 QB's on the roster in 2022..and a few not on the roster for 2023 (thankfully they had a 2023 roster listed) = plenty of small college teams haven't posted one yet for this coming season..namely Ferris State, GVSU, CO Mines, Angelo, Delta..but anyway..Dondrae Fair appears to be a dual threat QB that just committed to Minot at the beginning of June. Since the squad is looking to have a mobile QB to run their option style attack, you'd have to think he would have a leg-up on the drop back passers returning. 6'0 and runs well per his video. On the Portland State roster page it mentions he was a walk-on who's a tremendous athlete.

https://twitter.com/DondraeFair/stat...09166440316928

Here's his Hudl video also..
          https://www.hudl.com/video/3/1031261...35e00ef81a3028
          Last edited by Matt Witwicki; 06-26-2023, 08:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TJE_ View Post

Yes and no. Guys that are PWO probably feel they have a shot as they were recruited at some level to come there. So I agree those guys think they can play. But there are plenty of guys that try out and end up walking on that yes they hope to play but know it’s a huge long shot. But they are at their dream school and they just want to be a part of the team. Get some gear, travel to bowl games, maybe get to dress out every now and the and/or travel.
            I had a good buddy in HS that walked on at U Dub. He had offers at then IAA, DII and NAIA, and would have started at the lower level and probably been a star. He was an undersized LB, spent five years on practice squads, worked hard, never got to travel, and suited up for a few home games, eventually getting a series in his last home game. He said that his athletic career was complete, and his obituary would say he was a Husky football player. I get it, but man, that is a lot of work for the limited playing time.

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin' Cat View Post

I had a good buddy in HS that walked on at U Dub. He had offers at then IAA, DII and NAIA, and would have started at the lower level and probably been a star. He was an undersized LB, spent five years on practice squads, worked hard, never got to travel, and suited up for a few home games, eventually getting a series in his last home game. He said that his athletic career was complete, and his obituary would say he was a Husky football player. I get it, but man, that is a lot of work for the limited playing time.
              Congrats on being friends with Rudy.

Comment

Originally posted by Augieholic View Post

Congrats on being friends with Rudy.
                Egg zachary!

This was late 70s early 80s.

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin' Cat View Post

I hear ya. If you get a scholarship at a lower level I think you take it and go play rather than be a practice guy for five years.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post
                    ....had some time on my hands first thing this morning and did some sleuthing and came up with this. Portland State had 7 QB's on the roster in 2022..and a few not on the roster for 2023 (thankfully they had a 2023 roster listed) = plenty of small college teams haven't posted one yet for this coming season..namely Ferris State, GVSU, CO Mines, Angelo, Delta..but anyway..Dondrae Fair appears to be a dual threat QB that just committed to Minot at the beginning of June. Since the squad is looking to have a mobile QB to run their option style attack, you'd have to think he would have a leg-up on the drop back passers returning. 6'0 and runs well per his video. On the Portland State roster page it mentions he was a walk-on who's a tremendous athlete.

https://twitter.com/DondraeFair/stat...09166440316928

Here's his Hudl video also..
                    https://www.hudl.com/video/3/1031261...35e00ef81a3028
                    Thanks for checking into that.

Kid looks like he'll be fun to watch. Smooth runner who looks especially strong for his size. Decent arm, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post

jaydin, do you have any of the new signal-callers names..their roster isn't showing anyone from Portland State, etc. Thanks.
                      The 2 incoming freshman off the top of my head are
                      Thomas Ansley, LaQuinta, CA

Ya'j Vance, Edison High, CA

Comment

Anyone have an idea on who the starting QB will be for Minot? I haven't seen any articles or news stories on the team. I thought the Minot Daily would do a season preview story, but haven't seen it yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Rising View Post
                          Anyone have an idea on who the starting QB will be for Minot? I haven't seen any articles or news stories on the team. I thought the Minot Daily would do a season preview story, but haven't seen it yet.
                          Witt brought up a Portland State transfer on the podcast....I'd guess he's at least got a strong chance to be the guy.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Rising View Post
                            Check out post #34 on this thread. I'm assuming he's the guy.

Comment

Originally posted by Thunder View Post
                              Well it truly is the quiet time of year on the message board. I've been thinking a little toward the 2023 season and the NSU QB situation got me to thinking about the conference as a whole. 2021 saw some of the best QB play ever in the conference. 2022 saw the defenses regain some control. How do the QBs stack up across the conference for the upcoming season. Here is my very off-the-cuff ranking of the QB situation for the 2023 season. I'd be curious what you have to say about your QB room as well.

1. Wayne (Bohn)
                              2. Bemidji (Alt)
                              3. Mankato (Ekern)
                              4. USF (Mullen)
                              5. Duluth (Walljasper)
                              6. Winona (Paulsen)
                              7. Moorhead (Strand)
                              8. Augie (Scholten)
                              9. Mary (Forknell)
                              10. NSU (Vespo)
                              11. SMSU (McComb)
                              12. Concordia (Cordts)
                              13. Minot (Macleary)
                              Now that we are three weeks into the season curious on people's thoughts on what this list would look like now.

Comment

Originally posted by BulldogFan View Post

Now that we are three weeks into the season curious on people's thoughts on what this list would look like now.
                                1. Brandon Alt

2. Nick Bohn

3-13. The rest

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X