Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CollegeFBGuy View Post
    Does a guy like Strand, at 6’ 5” and really good passing numbers take a chance on moving up to FCS or even FBS after the season? Looks like a “3years to play 2” scenario. In years past, I doubt it, but with the portal is a legit conversation
    Probably not. Unless somebody gives him a bona fide offer of starting. Do not think he wants to be buried in some schools depth chart.

Comment

Originally posted by WPHB View Post

I am hoping for the under. I think Kato runs too much for us to have enough possessions for 314 yards of passing, because I think our deep shots will not be there and most completions will be underneath to soften up the backers to allow us to run some. If we are at 314 yards passing it is likely a blow out one way or the other in my opinion.
      If I were Augie (or any team with a capable QB and somewhat decent OL) I’d throw against the Mavs 80%+ of the time. They don’t all have to be 15-25 yards downfield by any means. Many of the throws would be underneath or WR screen types, basically run substitutions. That makes 300+ yards very easily attainable, even in a close game. Moorhead ran one designed run all game.

To me, the advantage Augie has in this game is the QB/WR matchup versus the Mavs pass D. Also, as far as the run game, QB scrambles tend to hurt the Mavs much more than RBs have. And Bauman is more than capable of that. Another reason to drop him back more often, IMO.

Looking forward to it, should be an entertaining game. Probably just slightly more so for one of our teams. Ha. We’ll find out which one soon!

Comment

Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post

Probably not. Unless somebody gives him a bona fide offer of starting. Do not think he wants to be buried in some schools depth chart.
        I'd have to agree with VikingFaithful. Probably not. Looking good against the NSIC is different than being a starter at the FCS level. Playing is helpful if you want scouts eyes and staying put seems to be a sure fire way to do that for Strand.

Comment

I will tell you of a conversation I had with somebody that I know pretty good and respect their opinion. When they were standing on the sideline opposite Strand, he turned to
          someone next to him and said “Wow that guy has a strong arm!”

Comment

Meet Dragons QB Jack Strand, who leads all divisions of NCAA football in passing yards

Link:
            https://www.inforum.com/sports/colle...-passing-yards

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post

If I were Augie (or any team with a capable QB and somewhat decent OL) I’d throw against the Mavs 80%+ of the time. They don’t all have to be 15-25 yards downfield by any means. Many of the throws would be underneath or WR screen types, basically run substitutions. That makes 300+ yards very easily attainable, even in a close game. Moorhead ran one designed run all game.

To me, the advantage Augie has in this game is the QB/WR matchup versus the Mavs pass D. Also, as far as the run game, QB scrambles tend to hurt the Mavs much more than RBs have. And Bauman is more than capable of that. Another reason to drop him back more often, IMO.

Looking forward to it, should be an entertaining game. Probably just slightly more so for one of our teams. Ha. We’ll find out which one soon!
              Agreed here. Make it a 7 on 7 game. Our skill kids vs your Lbs and Dbs.

Comment

Casey Bauman's weakness he holds onto the ball to long scanning the field for an open receiver. He is very accurate and he never throws a ball away. I'm sure the competitive side of him thinks he can make all throws, fortunately he is also a decent scrambler.

Comment

Casey Bauman's weakness he holds onto the ball to long scanning the field for an open receiver. He is very accurate and he never throws a ball away. I'm sure the competitive side of him thinks he can make all throws, fortunately he is also a decent scrambler.
                  He just needs to take off at times and get a couple yard instead of losing 7.

Comment

well, he is better than the Iowa QB -- not even debateable.

Iowa QB wouldn't be top 10 in the NSIC

Comment

Originally posted by MrMustang View Post

well, he is better than the Iowa QB -- not even debateable.

Iowa QB wouldn't be top 10 in the NSIC
                      That is very true...He appears to be better than many D1 Qb's. If he would get into a west coast offensive, look out. I wonder if any D1 coaching staffs are aware of his existence? Maybe he will be the next Tyson Bagent.

Comment

That is very true...He appears to be better than many D1 QB's. If he would get into a west coast offensive, look out. I wonder if any D1 coaching staffs are aware of his existence? Maybe he will be the next Tyson Bagent.
                        There is no question he could be on a lot of D1 rosters, as could several other QBs in this conference. The question is where are you gonna find an opportunity where you are not only guaranteed to start, but given the opportunity to throw the ball 50-70 times a game in an almost exclusively air raid offense. I know the NSIC has seen some kids jump up a level and find success as contributing starters, but if your goal is playing at the next level, I will die on the hill that NFL scouts are more likely to pay attention to the kids dominating at the D2 level and probably never know the name of a some of these kids that are just solid players at their new D1 school. Scouts will always have eyes on the guys that are elite, no matter what level.

I understand QB is a bit of a different animal, as Bagent is the only D2 QB I can think of in recent history on an active roster. But 9,580 passing yards and 94 touchdowns over his last two seasons + a Harlon Hill trophy I bet caught him just as many if not more eyes than anything he could have done taking a chance in the transfer portal.

(And to be clear, my argument is not that D2 kids will get as many looks as D1. It is just that if you are already in a system that is virtually built around you and gives you more opportunities than you could ever dream of, it seems like an awfully big risk to jump ship and start over if your goal is to have scouts find you so you can get your foot in the door of an NFL team.)
                        Last edited by NorthDakotaDragon; 10-27-2023, 08:03 AM.

Comment

You are correct about Jack being in an ideal system to use his assets as a QB..In the movie Field of Dreams there is the line, "If you build it they will come" meaning word gets around fast, Augustana's senior OT Blake Larson has been visited by most of the NFL teams scouts this fall. Being that QB is the most important position in football, he will be seen. His prompt decision making, accuracy, quick release and size 6'5" 220lbs. make Mr. Strand an intriguing prospect and he is only a sophomore. I believe he will finish his college career at MSUM.

Comment

That is very true...He appears to be better than many D1 Qb's. If he would get into a west coast offensive, look out. I wonder if any D1 coaching staffs are aware of his existence? Maybe he will be the next Tyson Bagent.
                            whenever I watch a D1 game and the qbs stink I am amazed. There are so many qbs who play 7-7 now and they can all throw, yet they stink at D1.

Strand will be gone unless he "just likes Moorhead" Like I said, he would start at Iowa and he would start at say Indiana State. Now maybe he is smart and likes Moorhead and realizes, he can start for 4 years, have fun , and enjoy life. The grass is not always greener ! or someone gets in his head and tells him to leave and unless the situation is right, he could end up sitting on the bench.

Comment

whenever I watch a D1 game and the qbs stink I am amazed. There are so many qbs who play 7-7 now and they can all throw, yet they stink at D1.

Strand will be gone unless he "just likes Moorhead" Like I said, he would start at Iowa and he would start at say Indiana State. Now maybe he is smart and likes Moorhead and realizes, he can start for 4 years, have fun , and enjoy life. The grass is not always greener ! or someone gets in his head and tells him to leave and unless the situation is right, he could end up sitting on the bench.
                              He won’t/wouldn’t start at Iowa. McNamara is coming back for one thing. Also, Declan Hill is a garbage QB, but Strand isn’t playing against B1G defenses either. Not taking anything away from him, I believe Strand to be top end, but let’s slow down just a little bit here.

FCS? Sure. He could likely step right in most places there, no problem.

Comment

But would he start at Valpo?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X