Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BulldogFan View Post

Now that we are three weeks into the season curious on people's thoughts on what this list would look like now.
    As I'm sure you are alluding to, I think Walljasper has joined the top 2 as the heavy favorites for NSIC POY. He has been fantastic so far this year. While I still have some questions about his ability to throw if UMD would be forced to pass, he has certainly proven to be a capable passer. And he is unbelievable running the ball.

1. Wayne (Bohn) - I still have him #1, but he appears to be running much less his season or less productively as least.
    2. Bemidji (Alt) - BSU has the ability to be more balanced this year so Alt may not put as big of numbers but he is still really good.
    3. Duluth (Walljasper) - See above
    4. Mankato (Ekern) - I don't think he has been asked to do a lot so far as the Mavs running game is dominating.
    5. Moorhead (Strand) - MSUM throws the ball all over the yard. The schedule will get tougher for the Dragons but Strand has put up big numbers so far.
    6. USF (Dean) - I'm somewhat surprised he has passed up Mullen, but he is very talented.
    7. Augie (Bauman) - Augie seems to have some very good weapons and Bauman has been decent, but I'd argue the offense has underachieved given the opposition.

Then I think you have a pretty big drop off at the QB position

8. NSU (Vespo/Hackel) - Hackel has shown the ability to run, but needs to be able to progress past his first read more often. He may have one more week to win the job outright.
    9. SMSU (Martin) - SMSU has played some good defenses so far so maybe the Mustangs offense will be more productive, but the schedule doesn't get that much easier.
    10. Concordia (Cordts) - Looked good against UIU, but then again who doesn't?
    11. Winona (Stenstrom) - I'm really surprised how poor his numbers look, but WSU has faced some pretty good defenses so far. The Wolves get a first hand look this weekend.
    12. Mary (Forknell) - The Mary offense was not good.
    13. Minot (Macleary) - Hard to tell with the new Minot offense, but the numbers so far are not good.

Comment

Jack Strand of Moorhead easily leads the league in passing yards at 1037, 15tds, 3ints, and efficiently at 153.6. Looking forward to seeing how he plays against better competition.

UMD Kyle Walljasper is 2nd in entire league rushing, at 395yds, 10.4avg. and 8tds, He is 11 in league in passing yards at 445, but has 7tds, 1nt and efficiently rating of 183.0. He has 840 total yards. That 1 more yard than Brandon Alt combined yards with 7 more Touchdowns.

Comment

I thought Dean looked pretty good against Duluth over the weekend. Hitting about 80% of his passes on the year with no INTs and has played two of the top teams in the conference. Hackel seemed a bit uncomfortable in the pocket and was a quick read and run against UMD. Some of that may have been by game plan as UMD had their back to the QB on most plays allowing Hackel to rack up yards.

Here is my opinion 3 games in:

1. Bohn (Wayne) - Responsible for 69% of all offensive yards and TD's (Effic 159.9)
        2. Walljasper (UMD) - Responsible for 62% of all offensive yards and 79% of TD's (Effic 183)
        3. Alt (Bemidji) - Responsible for 65% of all offensive yards and 53% of TD's (Effic 152.2)
        4. Ekern (Mankato) - Responsible for 43% of all offensive yards and 32% of TD's (Effic 156.8)
        5. Strand (Moorhead) - Responsible for 80% of all offensive yards and 75% of TD's (Effic 153.6)
        6. Dean (USF) - Responsible for 48% of all offensive yards and 21% of TD's (Effic 168.8)
        7. Bauman (Augie) - Responsible for 68% of all offensive yards and 67% of TD's (Effic 153.8)

Comment

I would say having SMSU's Martin at #9 seems fair as to where we are at this point. He has a ways to go but I like his arm.

The SMSU line which was a strength to start the season is a little beat up alreay unfortunately so Martin may struggle some as we keep going.

Long term I like him and he is clearly middle of the pack right now with a high ceiling.

Comment

Looking forward to see the UMD qb this weekend and how he runs. Appears to be the real deal.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMustang View Post
              Looking forward to see the UMD qb this weekend and how he runs. Appears to be the real deal.
              Lets hope the forecast for Saturday improves otherwise its going to be a ground and pound type of game.

Comment

we have had rain like one time in the last month. Unlikely it will actually rain Saturday

Comment

It seems like many areas are supposed to be wet. I’m interested to see if it affects any games. I’d suspect it could affect scores and stats for some

Comment

Originally posted by MrMustang View Post
                    we have had rain like one time in the last month. Unlikely it will actually rain Saturday
                    Up here we've gotten six inches since may 1st...to expect rain is foolish.

Comment

I'm too cheap to pay for a parking pass at SDSU so I park in the neighborhoods and walk to class - yesterday it started raining right as I parked and I thought "Oh this is gonna be great." It lightly sprinkled for 5 minutes then nothing.

Similar thing happened at the football game I was at last week. Kinda agree with MrMustang - I doubt we see much rain this weekend.

Anyway, I'll be at the SMSU game most likely. Curious to see both QBs. Martin is showing promise and the UMD QB seems to be highly touted.

Comment

I thought Dean looked pretty good against Duluth over the weekend. Hitting about 80% of his passes on the year with no INTs and has played two of the top teams in the conference. Hackel seemed a bit uncomfortable in the pocket and was a quick read and run against UMD. Some of that may have been by game plan as UMD had their back to the QB on most plays allowing Hackel to rack up yards.

1. Bohn (Wayne) - Responsible for 69% of all offensive yards and TD's (Effic 159.9)
                        2. Walljasper (UMD) - Responsible for 62% of all offensive yards and 79% of TD's (Effic 183)
                        3. Alt (Bemidji) - Responsible for 65% of all offensive yards and 53% of TD's (Effic 152.2)
                        4. Ekern (Mankato) - Responsible for 43% of all offensive yards and 32% of TD's (Effic 156.8)
                        5. Strand (Moorhead) - Responsible for 80% of all offensive yards and 75% of TD's (Effic 153.6)
                        6. Dean (USF) - Responsible for 48% of all offensive yards and 21% of TD's (Effic 168.8)
                        7. Bauman (Augie) - Responsible for 68% of all offensive yards and 67% of TD's (Effic 153.8)
                        Good list with the analytics to back it up!

Comment

Revisiting this list through 7 weeks:

1. Bohn (Wayne) - 118/206 (57.28%) - 1901 yds - 14 td - 4 int
                          2. Walljasper (UMD) - 71/124 (57.26%) - 948 yds - 14 td - 2 int
                          3. Alt (Bemidji) - 111/195 (56.92%) - 1548 yds - 15 td - 4 int
                          4. Ekern (Mankato) - 95/165 (57.58%) - 1445 yds - 14 td - 4 int
                          5.Strand (Moorhead) - 237/356 (66.57%) - 2663 yds - 28 td - 5 int

Not biased enough to not realize that Strand has twice the opportunities than the rest of the top 5, but he sure makes the most of them with minimal mistakes. I would argue he has to be the best in the NSIC right now. Hope this kid plans to stick around Moorhead for another 2 seasons after this.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthDakotaDragon View Post

Revisiting this list through 7 weeks:

1. Bohn (Wayne) - 118/206 (57.28%) - 1901 yds - 14 td - 4 int
                            2. Walljasper (UMD) - 71/124 (57.26%) - 948 yds - 14 td - 2 int
                            3. Alt (Bemidji) - 111/195 (56.92%) - 1548 yds - 15 td - 4 int
                            4. Ekern (Mankato) - 95/165 (57.58%) - 1445 yds - 14 td - 4 int
                            5.Strand (Moorhead) - 237/356 (66.57%) - 2663 yds - 28 td - 5 int

Not biased enough to not realize that Strand has twice the opportunities than the rest of the top 5, but he sure makes the most of them with minimal mistakes. I would argue he has to be the best in the NSIC right now. Hope this kid plans to stick around Moorhead for another 2 seasons after this.
                            Any list that doesn't include Casey Bauman is not a real list.

126-186 67.7% completion
                            1819 yards passing (129 yards rushing net of sacks)
                            18 passing TDs, 3 rushing TDs
                            5 INTs
                            176.4 passing efficiency, best in the league

Comment

Originally posted by Augieholic View Post

126-186 67.7% completion
                              5 INTs
                              Augieholic is correct. He has led his team to a 7-0 record.

Comment

Originally posted by Augieholic View Post

126-186 67.7% completion
                                5 INTs
                                I think Bauman is hands down the most improved. Where he was last year to this year has been pretty amazing

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X