Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Week 0 - Approved for games (immediately)

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Week 0 - Approved for games (immediately)

https://x.com/WittD2Football/status/...521056999?s=20

This now means NSIC teams have 12 weeks to try and play 11 games. Expect to see teams to have a bye week on the schedule..if desired. Since the current schedule is set for conference only NSIC games, some squads might not change a thing. Otherwise like BSU, Kato and others will likely find a non-con game in W0 and then have a bye during their open week. Whatever your teams open week was last year is the same this time around. TBD how this will impact this fall and the schedule..but in future years it should open things up for Week 0 non-con in my opinion..and I'd like to think this could keep the door open for a non-silo format in the future for the NSIC....as conference games seemingly won't be scheduled for Week 0...as virtually nobody does that at various levels.

Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post
    https://x.com/WittD2Football/status/...521056999?s=20

This now means NSIC teams have 12 weeks to try and play 11 games. Expect to see teams to have a bye week on the schedule..if desired. Since the current schedule is set for conference only NSIC games, some squads might not change a thing. Otherwise like BSU, Kato and others will likely find a non-con game in W0 and then have a bye during their open week. Whatever your teams open week was last year is the same this time around. TBD how this will impact this fall and the schedule..but in future years it should open things up for Week 0 non-con in my opinion..and I'd like to think this could keep the door open for a non-silo format in the future for the NSIC....as conference games seemingly won't be scheduled for Week 0...as virtually nobody does that at various levels.
    Does this affect fall practice dates for teams scheduling week 0 games? Has NSIC given each school their open week? Seems odd that AU have same week 2 open date as last season.

Comment

Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post

Does this affect fall practice dates for teams scheduling week 0 games? Has NSIC given each school their open week? Seems odd that AU have same week 2 open date as last season.
      Start dates remain the same for everyone. Each school can now decide if they want and can make a week 0 game fit into their respective schedules.
      ADs & HCs will decide if they want to peruse scheduling a week 0 game creating an in season bye week.

Comment

MSU should be calling Southwest Baptist or Emporia State..they're available Oct 19th.
        Not a fan of Week 0 competition

Comment

Originally posted by zimmy21 View Post
          Not a fan of Week 0 competition
          Why not? (Sincere Question, not sarcasm) Would like to get the pulse of the board on this. And so that I am not sandbagging anyone, I am in favor of Week 0 games, especially if it would allow for longer Spring Camp or earlier Fall Camp. That being said, my mind could be easily changed.

And yes, I saw above that it would not adjust start dates. But that could be changed in the future as well.

Comment

Originally posted by WPHB View Post

Why not? (Sincere Question, not sarcasm) Would like to get the pulse of the board on this. And so that I am not sandbagging anyone, I am in favor of Week 0 games, especially if it would allow for longer Spring Camp or earlier Fall Camp. That being said, my mind could be easily changed.

And yes, I saw above that it would not adjust start dates. But that could be changed in the future as well.
            All for week zero games. Adds much needed flexibility to OOC schedulding after the Peacocks flew the coop. Having an open date late in the season was/is difficult for the Coo to fill. They found one last season but home and homes would be preferred. Add in the possibility of getting your team a bye week instead of 11 straight games, yea week 0 is nice benefit with limited downsides in my mind.
            4x 'Crackerjack' NAIA National Champions - 1996, 2006, 2008, 2009
            2016 NSIC Champions
            🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑

Comment

Originally posted by WPHB View Post

I think the Bye Week in season after playing a Week 0 game can be a huge advantage.

I also think you're going to see lazy Athletic Directors getting lazier. For example, I can fully see NSIC schools scheduling other NSIC schools for a "Non-Conference" matchup in week 0. They'll justify by saying they couldn't find anyone, or that the travel is cheap but really they didn't even try.

As stated above Mankato has no reason to schedule a Week 0 game unless we are scheduling Ferris State, GVSU, Northwest, or some FCS school. Something that will matter.

​​​​​​There are at least 2 schools that are semi-local that have our off week available for play. We should be playing them.

Comment

As a fan who is averaging 10+ games in person a year, I love the week 0 idea. A chance to see football a week earlier into summer (I loathe the cold), and with the potential for bye weeks - it might allow me to see games that I might not otherwise see.

Comment

To answer an earlier question....yes, the 2024 bye dates are identical to 2023. That would mean Augie in W2 again (which they filled before this rule changed). There was a 40/60 mindset to this passing at that meeting, FWIW. I'm mildly surprised it did, but pleased. All other levels of football have Week 0. For example, Northern has their bye week as W11 in both years....that stinks. Last year they went to Northern Michigan and it allowed them to finish the campaign on a high note.

If you are Mankato, you'd like to schedule a Week 0 game..and as stated on our Pod last year, they pushed for a trip to NWMSU..both teams wanted it, as they were having a hard time finding a dance partner on their open dates (which didn't match)..as plenty of top teams have challenges getting any old squad to play them and likely catch a loss. This game was all ready to go..they appealed for a W0 game in 2023 but were denied by the NCAA. This year that kinda contest would be legal. Problem is, this rule is changing late enough that teams might already have plans for this year..understandably.

I'm seeing more and more squads that have the head coach kinda leading the charge to fill a date like this..and then just run it past the AD.

Anyway, it will depend on the outlook of the squad and who they wanna schedule and what motivates them for the booking they do. If you are a mid to lower team, you'd probably want a winnable game..if a top team, likely a squad over .500 so it will help you in the quality wins part of the NCAA playoff selection criteria. In the case of Augie, they got a high profile $$ game that allows recruits to see them playing the D1 FCS champ. Win or lose, it shows them playing against that level of squad and so forth. (good exposure for the Vikings)

I haven't seen how this may impact fall camp, but I'm fully assuming the amount of practices will be the same..and teams who have a Week 0 contest will just start a few days earlier.

Comment

Has anyone heard whispers about an nsic team playing Pitt in wk 0 24? I heard a rumor that they were talking to an nsic team or 2, but haven't heard who.

Comment

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post
                      Has anyone heard whispers about an nsic team playing Pitt in wk 0 24? I heard a rumor that they were talking to an nsic team or 2, but haven't heard who.
                      Could be. Unless it was a Careless Whisper.

MSU's bye is Oct 19th.

Comment

I think Northern will scheduled another OOC game. I know early on in Schmidt’s tenure there was hope that they would have the opportunity to travel a bit and play teams they don’t normally play. I think it’s good for recruiting honestly. A chance to get your program in front of people that are probably not familiar with you.

Early work on the street was Northern Michigan was not going coming to Aberdeen this year. BTW, if you haven’t been to Marquette, MI I would highly recommend it.

Comment

This is on the main D2 site. Open Dates (d2football.com)

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
                            This is on the main D2 site. Open Dates (d2football.com)
                            The Mavs could dance with Southwest Baptist on October 19th. But that seems like a SOS drag.

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post

The Mavs could dance with Southwest Baptist on October 19th. But that seems like a SOS drag.
                              You know why Baptists don't have sex standing up?

They're afraid that it might lead to dancing.

I'll show myself out (even though it was a Baptist who told me that).

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X