• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
    All who walked are graduating.
    Montague and Cannady - masters degrees
    Sampson and Butler - bachelors degree
    not sure whether malik got bachelors or Master's.

For the three with eligibility remaining , we will likely know their plans after NCAA tourney.

There is no shortage of players who want to play this style.
    The 2 guard recruits are among the top 30 players in ohio (all positions). I will be surprised if they redshirt.
    Sampson is an odd one. He went from starting 29 games and playing 34 mpg at ND to making no starts and being a pine rider (12 mpg) this year.

He's good depth for WL but I can't imagine he wanted to be a depth guy and sit on the bench all year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scrub View Post
      Can we talk about the fact that 3 guys who officially have "Junior" status on the roster walked in tonight's Senior Night ceremony (including Bryce Butler)? Anyone know what's going on?

Obviously, Cannady & McKinney are finished--no more eligibility. That's who was expected to walk today.

But Butler, Montague, & Sampson also walked. Have they already declared their intent to go D1 with the last year (like Bolon & Robinson) or are they heading down to Ft. Lauderdale (like Yoakum)? Cannady & McKinney are losses for sure, but if Howlett has to replace Cannady & McKinney AND Butler, Mont, & Sampson, the recruiting task just got a lot steeper.
      Sounds like Butler is going to make the jump. We are very worried about Porterfield and Tomiwa up here.

If they stay, it should be business as usual next year. If they both leave, the run is over (and in for a rebuild year). Not to say Joe couldn't land two big transfers but hopefully we don't have to cross that bridge.
      Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 02-26-2023, 01:24 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Sounds like Butler is going to make the jump. We are very worried about Porterfield and Tomiwa up here.

If they stay, it should be business as usual next year. If they both leave, the run is over (and in for a rebuild year). Not to say Joe couldn't land two big transfers but hopefully we don't have to cross that bridge.
        I tend to agree. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Butler used his last year elsewhere.

But in the case of either Lombardi or Howlett, they will have no problem finding guys in the portal who want to play their brand of winning basketball. I'm not sure it's ever a rebuild with those coaches--more of a reload.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Sampson is an odd one. He went from starting 29 games and playing 34 mpg at ND to making no starts and being a pine rider (12 mpg) this year.

He's good depth for WL but I can't imagine he wanted to be a depth guy and sit on the bench all year.
          The wlu style is unlike anything he has played before. Minimal reliance on set plays. Requires real time situation identification, assessment, and response. He is getting better every game. With his athletic ability, when it clicks, he could be a force.
          if he stays the course, he will be a much more complete player.
          In fairness to him, the starting 5 had an all american, three all conference level players and a big with 2 prior years of experience. Opportunity awaits next year.
          Last edited by Columbuseer; 02-26-2023, 05:04 PM.

Comment

I tend to agree. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Butler used his last year elsewhere.

But in the case of either Lombardi or Howlett, they will have no problem finding guys in the portal who want to play their brand of winning basketball. I'm not sure it's ever a rebuild with those coaches--more of a reload.
            No decision made yet.
            No d1 school has contacted him as that would be against the rules, and d1 sports are all about character and integrity, ROFL.

Comment

• Two huge ifs:
              1. IUP loses to Cal
              2. WLU wins the MEC tourney,

WLU could host. Their loss to Lubbock Christian does not count as an in-region game, so both have 2 losses for seeding purposes.

Comment

• FYI NCAA stats west liberty as of Feb 27 2023 after Wheeling Game
                Improving in turnovers forced, steals, and offensive rebounds
                Worsening in 3 pt % and turnovers per game

1st- 3pt attempts per game 33.6 Nova SE is #44 at 25.4
                1st- Assist to turnover ratio 1.94 Nova SE is #4 at 1.64
                1st- 3pt made per game 12.7 Nova SE #23 at 10.1
                1st - assists per game 22.9 Nova SE is #2 at 22.1

2nd- scoring 101.1 Nova SE is #1 at 104.4
                2nd- Forced turnovers 19.89 Nova se is #1 at 23.30

3rd -Turnover margin 8.1 Nova se is #1 at 10.0
                3rd - Scoring margin 19 Nova se is #1 at 27
                3rd - Steals per game 11.1 Nova se is #1 at 12.2

20th - FG % 49.14 Nova SE #3 at 51.95%
                26th - Offensive rebounds per game 12.82 Nova SE #3 at 14.48
                42th - 3 pt % 37.83 Nova SE #9 at 39.94

59th – Turnovers per Game 11.8 Nova SE 144th at 13.1
                101st - FT % 73.56 Nova SE 51st 75.85
                148th - Rebound margin 0.4 Nova SE 14th 6.8

Comment

Two huge ifs:
                  1. IUP loses to Cal
                  2. WLU wins the MEC tourney,

WLU could host. Their loss to Lubbock Christian does not count as an in-region game, so both have 2 losses for seeding purposes.
                  A loss is a loss! They have 3 D2 losses. A loss to Wheeling looks far worse than a possible loss to Cal.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

A loss is a loss! They have 3 D2 losses. A loss to Wheeling looks far worse than a possible loss to Cal.
                    I personally think IUP is hosting regardless. At this point, they can only get one more loss (if that) prior to the tourney. I'd say we're heading to Indiana.

Comment

A loss is a loss! .
                      Impeccable, irrefutable logic. However, my understanding is that only in-region losses apply for regional seeding purposes. However, I am not sure about other factors, such as relative weights of bad losses versus strength of schedule.
                      I would not complain if IUP still hosted. Great venue.

Comment

I personally think IUP is hosting regardless. At this point, they can only get one more loss (if that) prior to the tourney. I'd say we're heading to Indiana.
                        We've seen some whacky stuff over the years so who knows. Historically, a lot of weight is given to conference tournament winners.

WL winning this week is certainly no lock. I'd assume they'll have to go through WVSU and Fairmont State (on neutral floors). IUP has to not only beat a hot Cal team tomorrow but then play in the East this weekend. If they both win out then yes it's going to be in Indiana for sure.

Comment

Impeccable, irrefutable logic. However, my understanding is that only in-region losses apply for regional seeding purposes. However, I am not sure about other factors, such as relative weights of bad losses versus strength of schedule.
                          I would not complain if IUP still hosted. Great venue.

I know what you're saying BUT IUP would still have 1 less loss than WL and the Wheeling loss looks pretty bad in the metrics vs a possible loss to Call. I'm pretty sure IUP is going to host.

Comment

I'm pretty sure IUP is going to host.
                            And if so, they've certainly earned it. No argument from down here.

Comment

• FYI

A Dummy's Observations on Wheeling at WLU 2/25/23 WLU 103 - Wheeling 91

Summary:

Despite their record (6-22), Wheeling (WU) is a dangerous team, for twelve of WU’s losses were by 5 points or less. They defeated WLU a month ago. In that game, WLU went away from their platoon system, which enabled WU to delay the onset of fatigue. WU is dangerous against the WLU style because their players are very efficient in an open-court, 1-on-1 game and they have good three-point shooters.

WU was effective in the first half, aided by WLU’s atrocious shooting, having an 8-point lead at 51-43. However, 90 seconds into the second half, WLU had tied the score. WLU got the lead for good at 13:49. However, the lead was only 2 points with 4:54 remaining. IMHO, this is when the cumulative effect of pressure was starting to result in misses and turnovers from cognitive fatigue for WU. The lead stretched to 8 points with 3 minutes left. With 1:30, the lead was 9, which essentially put the game out of reach.

WU had a very good game plan.

It is a testament to WLU’s defense and effort that they were able to miss as many open looks and layups and still win.

Tale of the Tape (Season)

WU WLU

Points 82 101.1

FT % 75% 74%

FG % 46% 49%

3FG% 34% 38%

Turnovers 15 12

Assists 12 23

Assist/TO ratio 0.8 1.9

WU Strategy

· Play tight defense

· Double team Butler in the post

· WLU has a tendency to drop their guards toward the foul line to get offensive rebounds. When the ball started to drop through the WLU net, WU’s guard would sprint (leak out) down the court to receive the inbounds pass for a layup.

· Shadow Rasile to deny him the ball.

· Keep WLU off the offensive glass and win the rebounding battle.

· As in the first game, WU has the scheme and players to be very effective against the WLU trapping defense.

o Get the ball in the middle of the backcourt to their faster players, such as Price or Korte, with a slower player defending them. They must dribble at full speed to distance themselves from the WLU pursuit and prevents the back-tap of the ball by WLU’s triumvirate of very fast guards.

o Place a player in the corner at the offensive end. When the dribbler approaches the top of the key, there is essentially a 2-on-1 break opportunity with the player in the corner. The dribbler drives the lane, drawing the single defender, while the corner player breaks to the basket, receiving a pass for a layup.

o If 2-on-1 break does not materialize, utilize the shot clock to slow the pace of the game, looking for an open three or drive to draw a foul.

o WU has several players who are very good in the open court and driving to the rim in Price, Korte and Johnson. Johnson is a matchup nightmare, a 6-7 sophomore who weighs at least 260 lbs., with point guard handles and an elite (40%) 3-pt shot. Reasbeck off the bench is a good (37%) extended range 3-point shooter when he has an open look, which can happen against the press.

· Shoot the 3 effectively.

· Avoid the WLU blackouts.

WU had good success in implementing their strategy, in part due to horrific WLU shooting

· First half Stats

o WU WLU

o Points 51 43

o FT % 100% 80%

o FG % 50% 37%

o 3FG% 50% 17%

o Turnovers 11 8

o Fast break points 9 7

o Points off turnovers 6 8

· WU outrebounded WLU in the first half.

· WU made Butler give the ball up in the first half, for when he started his post move on the defender, a double team from the forward would rapidly appear.

Keys to the WLU victory

· WLU put incredible pressure on WU. WLU forced 23 WU turnovers and 16 steals for the game, an incredible 70% live ball turnovers.

· Fatigue was having an effect on WU in the second half:

o WLU had 17 points off 12 WU turnovers compared to only 4 points for WU

o WU FT% declined to 61%

o 2nd chance points WLU 15 WU 4

· In the first half, WLU was getting open looks at the rim as well as from the 3-pt. line. They were defeating WU’s defense. To their credit, they stayed the course in the second half. With the shooters they have, it is rare for the shots not to start dropping. Even though WU shot much better than WLU, WLU got more attempts. WLU had a 20-point advantage in the second half.

· WLU continued to share the ball – 20 assists on 35 FGs for 57% and assist to turnover ratio of 1.42. WU had 15 assists on 23 turnovers and assist to turnover ratio of 0.65

· Second half Stats

o WU WLU

o Points 40 60

o FT % 61% 76%

o FG % 43% 42%

o 3FG% 56% 45%

o Turnovers 12 6

o Fast break points 8 10

o Points off turnovers 4 17

o Steals 3 9

· They made adjustments to reduce transition baskets by WU.

· Inexplicably, WU had Johnson, their 260 lb. 6-7 forward, bring the ball up the court. The resulting pressure and fatigue caused him to commit several turnovers handling the ball. WLU was sending a guard to strip the ball from him when he drove from the top of the key.

· They put Sampson, Sarson and West on their hot 3 pt. shooters (Price and Reasbeck)

· At the 5:20 mark of the second half, and the score 82-80, Korte collided with Malik in a scramble for a loose ball in transition, a situation that requires play to continue. WLU hit a three for 85-80 lead, with Korte still on the floor in the backcourt. He had to leave the floor and did not return until the 2:05 mark.

Areas for Improvement

· Some of our bigs have to give the ball up in transition to the guards, as they committed traveling or double dribble violations on a break. They need to know their current limitations and play to their strengths.

· Some of our bigs need to sprint to get in position in front of the man in transition, rather than running beside the opponent to time a shot block, for it typically results in a foul. They also need to break some bad habits and start playing lower in their defensive stance to enable them to change direction faster or jump higher. At this level, no one is intimidated by a tall guy towering above them, as they just drive around them or make contact to draw the foul.

· IMHO, WU was baiting WLU to attempt risky interior passes, then jumping the passing lane to intercept it. WLU has to be aware of this strategy, which other teams have also used with success.

Comment

• Bryce Butler repeats as MEC player of year.
                                Montague and McKinney are 2nd team, but I would not trade them or Cannady for any guards on 1st team, due to their complete game of shooting, defense, passing, rebounding, assists and steals. They are perfect fits for the wlu style. However, the chosen 1st team guards are deserving of the honor, for they are also excellent players.

https://hilltoppersports.com/news/20...am-honors.aspx

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X