Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WL’s social media game was very bad for a while too but they’re slowly getting better. Marketing, marketing, marketing is the name of the game for small market sports. I think I’ve said this every year since I’ve graduated but I’d love to help them out in that regard if they had the budget

Comment

• Originally posted by Layton View Post
      WL’s social media game was very bad for a while too but they’re slowly getting better. Marketing, marketing, marketing is the name of the game for small market sports. I think I’ve said this every year since I’ve graduated but I’d love to help them out in that regard if they had the budget
      I agree. I think small markets need to be unique to attract fans. The wlu style certainly fits that bill and the winning % and national stats speak for themselves. Problem is no outsiders know about it other than coaches and potential recruits.

I think the Las Vegas trip gave wlu exposure to a different area of the country, which might expand interest but not in person attendance.

I would think it would be a good project for sr. Level marketing class. Can't hurt to try different low cost approaches.

One idea would be to have a section just for high school teams. They get in free and get a tour and briefing on wlu style.

Luckily, potential recruits are already aware of the style and are interested. Some high school coaches have adapted the style.

BTW, I have to check the latest list of the world's ten most dangerous highways. According to some, the road to wlu must be on the list. That would make 2 roads on the list that I have driven, after the Dalton Highway. Lol

Comment

• No doubt location is an issue and if you aren’t used to that trip it’s definitely a challenge. Honestly we should be very grateful that our basketball program is as good as it is because we have a lot going against us in the recruiting world outside of having good coaching and track record of success the last 15-20 years. Unfortunately things don’t last forever

Comment

No doubt location is an issue and if you aren’t used to that trip it’s definitely a challenge. Honestly we should be very grateful that our basketball program is as good as it is because we have a lot going against us in the recruiting world outside of having good coaching and track record of success the last 15-20 years. Unfortunately things don’t last forever
          I agree about the relative remoteness of the location. St. Crutch is in the optimal recruiting location.
          To keep the success going, I need to agree with every fan who says the wlu style is a gimmick, a fad with no defense and that we can't win in the finals with this style. We want non-proliferation.

Comment

• Vidan Dronjak in the portal always thought that was an odd add

Comment

Vidan Dronjak in the portal always thought that was an odd add
              I had hopes that he could be what we needed but I guess he saw how WLU uses their bigs and said, thanks but no thanks
              Not even a Euro "big" wants to play at WLU.

Comment

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

I had hopes that he could be what we needed but I guess he saw how WLU uses their bigs and said, thanks but no thanks
                Not even a Euro "big" wants to play at WLU.
                Lol
                i know it has been ages (all of 1 year), but I think I recall a 6-8 Serbian named Viktor Kovacevic doing quite well at wlu. He is playing pro ball in spain so the experience must not have significantly harmed him.

Comment

Vidan Dronjak in the portal always thought that was an odd add
                  At 6-6, He has excellent fundamentals and shooting mechanics. But he needed to get much stronger for the more physical game here so he redshirted, just like yoakum had to redshirt to get stronger. His English was weak, which might have slowed his progress. I wish he would have stayed. I could see him going to a half court d2 or lower d1 team as an 3 pt. sniper where his rebounding role would not be as necessary.

Comment

• Bryce Butler finalist for Bevo Francis Award.
                    Joining him are sunahara and yoakum from Nova se and Scott from black hills.

https://hilltoppersports.com/news/20...-finalist.aspx

Comment

• John Korte committed to WL.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                        John Korte committed to WL.
                        Wow.1st team all MEC

Comment

• Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post

Wow.1st team all MEC
                          WLU's last Wheeling import didn't work out great (with Boswell leaving the team mid-season).

Obviously, Cannady worked out a bit better, but that was after a two-year stint in Erie.

Hopefully Korte works out better than Boswell.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scrub View Post

WLU's last Wheeling import didn't work out great (with Boswell leaving the team mid-season).

Obviously, Cannady worked out a bit better, but that was after a two-year stint in Erie.

Hopefully Korte works out better than Boswell.
                            I think they are independent events, having no cause and effect relationship with wheeling.
                            Who knows if transfer portal had been in effect, wlu might have landed cannady after his freshman year.
                            IMHO, in Boswell's case, his style was better suited for 30+ mins on the floor. Some players need that time and there was a logjam of talent at guard.
                            Last edited by Columbuseer; 04-03-2023, 08:46 AM.

Comment

• Fyi
                              Wheeling (D2) transfer John Korte tells TPR that he has received interest from:
                              Towson
                              Cal State Fullerton
                              Sacramento State
                              Coppin State
                              Cal Poly
                              Marist
                              Northeastern
                              West Liberty
                              Fairmont State
                              Lynn
                              Tampa
                              Grand Valley State
                              Averaged 19.6 points per game this season!

Comment

• Nice pickup Richardson isn’t long for Wheeling

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X