Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It will be interesting to see how much he leverages the portal to find wlu type of players, which could kick start the program. Challenge will be the lack of open gym to judge recruit's performance in the style.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Correct. Gannon was 3-23 last year.
      I wouldn't say having a late new HC is perfect, but he is in a perfect situation for a "rip the band-aid off" start over sort of situation that Gannon is in. No big recruits left so he can bring in an entire new team of "WLU Style" players and start from the ground up. It will be very interesting to see who he brings in as his assistant coaches. If he could score someone like Segar Bonifant or Cedric Harris (or someone else steeped in the "WLU Style") that would be a clear indication of the direction he intends to go.at Gannon.

May be too late in the scheduling building process, but having a game vs WLU, or Nova would be gold for him. Coach them up in what he want's them to do and then play one of the top tier teams so that they can sea and learn what they can possibly be if they keep pushing.

Comment

• Michael Sampson has all the physical tools to be a strong player. He may just be a better fit in a traditional half court offense. He told me the wlu style was completely different than anything he had played before.

Comment

• Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
          Michael Sampson has all the physical tools to be a strong player. He may just be a better fit in a traditional half court offense. He told me the wlu style was completely different than anything he had played before.
          If I were Fee, I'd give Sampson a call. Upper classmen with a year doing things the WLU way would certainly be a benefit showing the freshmen how it's done. Depending on who Fee can bring in, Sampson's playing time would probably go up to 25+ minutes per game.

Comment

• 3/3 so far on transfer guesses

Comment

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

If I were Fee, I'd give Sampson a call. Upper classmen with a year doing things the WLU way would certainly be a benefit showing the freshmen how it's done. Depending on who Fee can bring in, Sampson's playing time would probably go up to 25+ minutes per game.
              Not sure he has the motor for the style. Which is OK, as few good players have the motor to play it and are better suited for a traditional style.

Comment

Not sure he has the motor for the style. Which is OK, as few good players have the motor to play it and are better suited for a traditional style.
                Perhaps you are correct. But with a year of doing things the WLU way, he would be a good mentor to the young guys who will populate Gannons roster next year. He would be someone who could could tell them the why of a WLU Style practice and what the end result could be. Certainly not comparing him to Dennis at Nova, but Dennis probably accelerated the Nova change in styles when Crutch took over.

Comment

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

Perhaps you are correct. But with a year of doing things the WLU way, he would be a good mentor to the young guys who will populate Gannons roster next year. He would be someone who could could tell them the why of a WLU Style practice and what the end result could be. Certainly not comparing him to Dennis at Nova, but Dennis probably accelerated the Nova change in styles when Crutch took over.
                  I'd guess he's been looking at all available cast-offs with ties to Crutch or Ben.

Isn't Bluefield trying to run this, too? Granted, Gannon will have vastly more resources than Bluefield.

I wouldn't be shocked if they look at IUP portal entrant Kyle Polce. Joe kept him in diapers but he's a really good athlete and a good shooter (who wasn't allowed to shoot). I kind of think Mercyhurst will land him (they wanted him out of high school).

Comment

I'd guess he's been looking at all available cast-offs with ties to Crutch or Ben.

Isn't Bluefield trying to run this, too? Granted, Gannon will have vastly more resources than Bluefield.

I wouldn't be shocked if they look at IUP portal entrant Kyle Polce. Joe kept him in diapers but he's a really good athlete and a good shooter (who wasn't allowed to shoot). I kind of think Mercyhurst will land him (they wanted him out of high school).
                    Good points. A candidate might be Kaine McColley from Nova via bluefield. He played well at bluefield. Bluefield is getting better, but they need guys who share the ball better.

Comment

Good points. A candidate might be Kaine McColley from Nova via bluefield. He played well at bluefield. Bluefield is getting better, but they need guys who share the ball better.
                      It won't happen overnight. Hopefully Gannon shows some patience. Their fanbase is just as nutty as WL and IUP ... they've just been dormant for years.

Comment

Just an uninformed assessment on Bluefield...Hoehn seems to have tried to install the WLU system slowly which doesn't really work. For example, in the few games I've watched over his three years, the full court pressure isn't there the whole time. It has ramped up each year but still not the complete game like WLU or Nova. They are headed in the right direction and the PPG and wins are increasing but I don't think the pressure is there yet.

McColley would be a good pick-up for Gannon but with his numbers, he wouldn't look bad in Black & Gold either.
                        Last edited by boatcapt; 04-13-2023, 09:14 PM.

Comment

• Will be interesting to see if wlu is still recruiting. If so, how many and what size of player is biggest need? Any thoughts?

Comment

Will be interesting to see if wlu is still recruiting. If so, how many and what size of player is biggest need? Any thoughts?
                            They are in on a lot of transfers. You can trace it pretty easily on Twitter. They are after several transfer guards.

Comment

They are in on a lot of transfers. You can trace it pretty easily on Twitter. They are after several transfer guards.
                              Thanks. I don't do twitter or Facebook but I have Googled into Twitter. Will give it a try.

Comment

• CBS sports screenshot of long term winning % since 2009-2010. Shows you can win with different styles. Wlu is #1 at 89.2%. Gonzaga is #2 at 86.2%.

https://twitter.com/mlamberti24/stat...070528/photo/1

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X