• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post

From a defensive perspective:
    WVU Press Virginia
    Nolan richardsons 40 mins of hell at Arkansas
    early rick pitino at providence, who influenced crutchfield

Wlu also has 5-out positionless basketball where nearly everyone is deadly from three and who also share the ball.
    color analyst at new haven game marveled at rarity of high 3 point attempts and high assists. The fatigue results in wide open practice shots.
    One of the best pressing teams I ever saw was Wooden's first championship team at UCLA, which was led by guards Walt Hazzard and Gail Goodrich. Wooden scrapped the press after he recruited Lew Alcindor (Kareem Abdul-Jabbar) and later Bill Walton.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

Shamgod Wells: Player development coach Dallas Mavericks
      Ron Fugala: Head coach USCB
      Allen Payne: Asstistant Georgia St
      Chris Fite: head coach Shippensburg
      Rob Zewe: assistant coach U of Denver
      Tray Woodall: associate head coach Fordham
      There's a lot more than that ... but I see the link to Joe. IUP was winning big and producing quality assistants long before Joe got here.

Lamont Paris is currently the head coach at South Carolina.

And, of course, Kevin Reynolds.
      Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 04-18-2023, 04:25 PM.

Comment

• News FYI
        Ben Howlett named wv college coach of the year.
        Congrats to Ben! Took wlu to finals after adding 7 new players following the loss of 8 players the previous season. An amazing feat, especially when one considers that most players are unaccustomed to the style.

https://mountaineast.org/news/2023/4...-the-year.aspx

Comment

News FYI
          Ben Howlett named wv college coach of the year.
          Congrats to Ben! Took wlu to finals after adding 7 new players following the loss of 8 players the previous season. An amazing feat, especially when one considers that most players are unaccustomed to the style.

https://mountaineast.org/news/2023/4...-the-year.aspx
          Way to give yourself a pat on the back, Ben.

Comment

• Fyi wlu fans
            ohio north south all star game April 28 Olentangy liberty high school in nw suburbs of Columbus, includes best of all divisions in one game.
            north has wlu signee Terrance Pankey, 2nd team div 2 all state.
            south has wlu signee kyler Daugustino, 1st team div 2 all state, 28 ppg.

Here is link.
            https://statelinesportsnetwork.net/2...ketball-games/

Comment

Fyi wlu fans
              ohio north south all star game April 28 Olentangy liberty high school in nw suburbs of Columbus, includes best of all divisions in one game.

Here is link.
              The women's game also features a WLU commit: Regan Vinskovich.

Comment

Fyi wlu fans

Here is link.
                With Fee moving North ... Ohio is going to be interesting (with Crutch, Fee and Ben all chasing many of the same kids). Obviously they all know each others' 'hot beds' in Ohio.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

With Fee moving North ... Ohio is going to be interesting (with Crutch, Fee and Ben all chasing many of the same kids). Obviously they all know each others' 'hot beds' in Ohio.
                  It is interesting to note--in looking at the list of players in the all-star game that Colubmuseer posted--that so many of the top talents in Ohio are not from big metros. There are certainly some Columbus, Dayton, & Cincinnati kids represented here, but you're also seeing a good chunk of these rosters from Eastern Ohio outposts like Caldwell, New Philly, Carrollton, etc. And it's those Eastern Ohio outposts that Howlett (and Crutch before him) have recruited so heavily--the I-77 corridor if you will. Weird that so much good basketball is played in small communities up and down I-77. But unfortunately for Howlett, that word is getting out to other area coaches (and Ft. Lauderdale coaches).

Comment

• Originally posted by Scrub View Post

It is interesting to note--in looking at the list of players in the all-star game that Colubmuseer posted--that so many of the top talents in Ohio are not from big metros. There are certainly some Columbus, Dayton, & Cincinnati kids represented here, but you're also seeing a good chunk of these rosters from Eastern Ohio outposts like Caldwell, New Philly, Carrollton, etc. And it's those Eastern Ohio outposts that Howlett (and Crutch before him) have recruited so heavily--the I-77 corridor if you will. Weird that so much good basketball is played in small communities up and down I-77. But unfortunately for Howlett, that word is getting out to other area coaches (and Ft. Lauderdale coaches).
                    I wonder how much active recruiting Crutch has done recently. By all accounts, Fee and Ben before him were the primary recruiters for Crutch. They were the ones churning tape, visiting players, making the bulk of recruiting calls and keeping the recruiting pipelines open and full of potential recruits. I would imagine that Crutch was involved in the process, but more of a "this is what I'm looking for" and final calls/visits to close the deal for bluechip players. DOn't think he's been the guy on the road traveling the highways and byways of Ohio and WV six days a week in a long time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scrub View Post

In addition, now add in Western Colorado with lamberti. Hopefully exposure among diverse geographical teams in Las Vegas tourney might possibly expand geographical wlu basketball brand awareness.

Comment

In addition, now add in Western Colorado with lamberti. Hopefully exposure among diverse geographical teams in Las Vegas tourney might possibly expand geographical wlu basketball brand awareness.
                        I think the real test for the WLU System will be if/when a coach outside of the immediate "Crutch Tree" implements the full system and wins with it.

We spend a lot of time talking about how the System might play at the D1 level but we never look down to the D3, JUCO or HS levels. I wonder if there are any of those programs that have either implemented the Style or are good candidates to do so? We talk a lot about the keys to the Style but rarely talk about how quickly it can turn a program around (WLU and Nova) and how quickly it can be replenished without skipping a beat (WLU the last few years). I think a point can be made that the Style runs almost equally well with gifted athletes as it does with those that are less gifted. All those factors seem to indicate that it would be tailor made for a JUCO that is seeing a complete roster turnover at minimum every two years. For most HS teams, coach has a captive audience so to speak...you either play his style or you don't play.

Comment

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

I think the real test for the WLU System will be if/when a coach outside of the immediate "Crutch Tree" implements the full system and wins with it.

We spend a lot of time talking about how the System might play at the D1 level but we never look down to the D3, JUCO or HS levels. I wonder if there are any of those programs that have either implemented the Style or are good candidates to do so? We talk a lot about the keys to the Style but rarely talk about how quickly it can turn a program around (WLU and Nova) and how quickly it can be replenished without skipping a beat (WLU the last few years). I think a point can be made that the Style runs almost equally well with gifted athletes as it does with those that are less gifted. All those factors seem to indicate that it would be tailor made for a JUCO that is seeing a complete roster turnover at minimum every two years. For most HS teams, coach has a captive audience so to speak...you either play his style or you don't play.
                          For hs teams:
                          1. Greater latrobe pa - bryce's school
                          2. McDonald oh, at least when Rasile's Dad was coaching

As you have mentioned before, a gifted athlete sometimes has tendencies that partially offset some of the athletic advantages, such as too much dribbling or 1 on 1 play because he sees an inferior athlete guarding him.

Comment

For hs teams:

As you have mentioned before, a gifted athlete sometimes has tendencies that partially offset some of the athletic advantages, such as too much dribbling or 1 on 1 play because he sees an inferior athlete guarding him.
                            The average high school team probably doesn't have the depth to play a true West Liberty substitution style. You might be able to work it in a top-flight program or at one of the privates where they recruit.

Comment

For hs teams:

Were those two team full on Style or did they try and do it in spurts?

Comment

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

Were those two team full on Style or did they try and do it in spurts?
                                I see Latrobe play every year. I surely wouldn't say they run the same thing. There are years they probably have a distant cousin version of it.

But, remember, Latrobe is a public school -- and plays the hand its dealt every year. There are years playing up-tempo just isn't going to match their personnel.

Speaking of Latrobe, I saw Bryce Butler's younger brother passed over his Atlantic Region offers and signed with Montevallo. Naturally, another kid from the Latrobe pipeline IUP chose not to recruit. That's three now.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X