Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

The average high school team probably doesn't have the depth to play a true West Liberty substitution style. You might be able to work it in a top-flight program or at one of the privates where they recruit.
    I would think the limiting factor would be 3 point shooters and the ability to read and antisipate the defense. You can improve a players 3 point stroke but some players just are never going to be good at it (like...ME!!). But if you get 2 or 3 guys that can shoot the 3 consistently, 2 drive and dish PG's and 3 or 4 110% effort, scrappy, in the right place guys, I think a HS team could be quite successful.

Comment

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

I would think the limiting factor would be 3 point shooters and the ability to read and antisipate the defense. You can improve a players 3 point stroke but some players just are never going to be good at it (like...ME!!). But if you get 2 or 3 guys that can shoot the 3 consistently, 2 drive and dish PG's and 3 or 4 110% effort, scrappy, in the right place guys, I think a HS team could be quite successful.
      Don't forget there's no shot clock in high school (WPIAL, anyways) so a good opponent can REALLY slow the game down.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Don't forget there's no shot clock in high school (WPIAL, anyways) so a good opponent can REALLY slow the game down.
        I think it takes a really diciplined team to not run when the other team is running at you. Even supposed diciplined college teams fall victim to it. I recently rewatched the MEC Champ game (V Fairmont). WLU would run the ball up make three or four passes sink their shot (three or two) and then Fairmont would quickly inbound, beat the press and run up to take the shot in the offensive end. Then WLU would do the same thing again. Fairmont was beyond gassed but they were STILL running! They showed an iso of one of the Fairmont players and he looked like he was going to pass out...but the very next play, he was chuging up court at full speed and literally throwing the basketball at the back board!

Lack of a shot clock could give a diciplined HS team time to regroup...but they would have to be VERY diciplined team!

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

I see Latrobe play every year. I surely wouldn't say they run the same thing. There are years they probably have a distant cousin version of it.

But, remember, Latrobe is a public school -- and plays the hand its dealt every year. There are years playing up-tempo just isn't going to match their personnel.

Speaking of Latrobe, I saw Bryce Butler's younger brother passed over his Atlantic Region offers and signed with Montevallo. Naturally, another kid from the Latrobe pipeline IUP chose not to recruit. That's three now.
          Definitely not a carbon copy (another saying to which young folks will say huh?). Definitely can't platoon. As you said, allowances have to be made for physical and mental maturity and relative skill development. Also younger hs players have trouble fighting through the fatigue and not giving up when their brain is telling them to stop. I think that when their coaches told me that they play a similar style, I think they were referring to full court pressure and uptempo transition. But I did not see them trap on missed shots like wlu. I only saw Latrobe play against Morgantown class 4a state champs. Latrobe played them fairly evenly after disastrous 1st qtr. Even though they were outsized and everyone on motowns team had college interest. Players that play uptempo in hs seem to consider wlu style attractive.

Comment

• Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post

Definitely not a carbon copy (another saying to which young folks will say huh?). Definitely can't platoon. As you said, allowances have to be made for physical and mental maturity and relative skill development. Also younger hs players have trouble fighting through the fatigue and not giving up when their brain is telling them to stop. I think that when their coaches told me that they play a similar style, I think they were referring to full court pressure and uptempo transition. But I did not see them trap on missed shots like wlu. I only saw Latrobe play against Morgantown class 4a state champs. Latrobe played them fairly evenly after disastrous 1st qtr. Even though they were outsized and everyone on motowns team had college interest. Players that play uptempo in hs seem to consider wlu style attractive.
            Well, a team being pressed has to be disciplined, but we sometimes forget that the pressing team needs a little discipline in passing and shot selection as well. High school teams trying to push the tempo run the danger of just moving helter-skelter up and down the court and firing off a torrent of ill-advised long-range shots. If you're going to specialize in three-pointers, you probably need at least two guys who can make them consistently. It also helps to have an experienced point guard who'll consistently make the right pass in an uptempo game. Many high school teams are turnover machines waiting to happen. While the lack of a shot clock enables HS teams to slow the ball down, the average team has trouble hanging onto the ball for more than a minute without a turnover, especially when facing a strong defense.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Well, a team being pressed has to be disciplined, but we sometimes forget that the pressing team needs a little discipline in passing and shot selection as well. High school teams trying to push the tempo run the danger of just moving helter-skelter up and down the court and firing off a torrent of ill-advised long-range shots. If you're going to specialize in three-pointers, you probably need at least two guys who can make them consistently. It also helps to have an experienced point guard who'll consistently make the right pass in an uptempo game. Many high school teams are turnover machines waiting to happen. While the lack of a shot clock enables HS teams to slow the ball down, the average team has trouble hanging onto the ball for more than a minute without a turnover, especially when facing a strong defense.
              Great analysis. Easy to for uptempo teams to play out of control. We can see it even at the college level.

Comment

• Fyi wlu fans

I went to ohio all star game last night.. One game, including players from all divisions. Two platoons, each playing about 5 mins each before subbing out. So players only played about 20 mins by design.

Wlu signee Terrance Pankey played for North. He is a great point guard. I liked how he wanted to guard the best players, regardless of position. It brought back memories of Bolon in his ohio all star game his senior year.

He guarded 4 star 6-3 George Washington III, 73rd best prospect nationally and Michigan signee, who was super quick and athletic. Pankey acquitted himself quite well. On a jab step that drove pankey back, he rose for a 3 pt shot, pankey could only recover to get within 4 ft of him and jumped late. Pankey's fingertips got the ball in flight causing it to fall well short of the rim. Impressive.

He also guarded Swain a 6-8 player with pg handles who plays above the rim, who Is headed to Xavier. Swain was probably the most athletic guy on the floor, but he is really slender. Swain got many alley oops.

In addition to his athletic prowess and excellent shooting from three and in traffic, Pankey also had impressive assists and sees the whole floor. Strong defender and high motor too. Scored 9 points. Great fit for wlu.

I will post about Kyler D'Augustino later.

Comment

• Fyi wlu fans

I went to ohio all star game friday night. One game, including players from all divisions. Two platoons, each playing about 5 mins each before subbing out. So players only played about 20 mins by design.

Wlu signee Kyler D'Augustino played for the south. He is a muscular 6-1, 185 lb shooting guard. Playing on an average team in high school, he averaged 28 ppg, despite double and triple teams. How would he fare against d1 players and the best in Ohio? Quite well, actually.

He effortlessly hit nba 3 point jump shots. When opponents tried to deny him, he drove past them for layups after contact or 12 ft jumpers. On defense, his active hands and bball iq forced turnovers. He intercepted a pg pass to the wing and out ran everyone for a powerful dunk. He has serious hops and a nonstop motor. I could see other coaches looking at each other in the stands, as if to say "who is this guy"?

He scored 23 points in a 109-99 victory. He was named MVP of the game, over signees from Ohio State, Indiana, Michigan, Xavier, etc. Impressive performance.

Comment

• Let's not get too excited then. WLU's last commit who had a great All-Star game also became a WLU-decommit (recall the Denbow kid who bolted after showing up big time in an AS game). Let's hope the WLU recruits' phones are blowing up with lousy D1 offers from the likes of Robert Morris that lure them away.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scrub View Post
                      Let's not get too excited then. WLU's last commit who had a great All-Star game also became a WLU-decommit (recall the Denbow kid who bolted after showing up big time in an AS game). Let's hope the WLU recruits' phones are blowing up with lousy D1 offers from the likes of Robert Morris that lure them away.
                      Denbow's all star performance had no impact. He went to a terrible d2 team along with his brother. Hmm. A lot of connect the dots speculation possibilities there. Hope he and his influencers enjoyed watching the elite 8.

I don't worry about risk of de-commits. There is a queue waiting for the opportunity to play at wlu. Carry decommitted and we got Robinson and McKinney.

After seeing all of them play, imho Pankey and D'augustino are more advanced in hs than denbow, although denbow could have been very successful at wlu.

Comment

• Bevo Francis anomaly
                        When 100 candidates were announced, Butler and sunahara were on list.
                        they made top 50.
                        Then top 25.
                        when final 10 were announced, it included butler, sunahara and Will Yoakum!
                        I have never heard of a finalist not being on prior lists.
                        When Sunahara got hurt, Will dominated to keep them undefeated. I am so glad the committee recognized his talent.

Comment

• Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
                          Bevo Francis anomaly
                          When 100 candidates were announced, Butler and sunahara were on list.
                          they made top 50.
                          Then top 25.
                          when final 10 were announced, it included butler, sunahara and Will Yoakum!
                          I have never heard of a finalist not being on prior lists.
                          When Sunahara got hurt, Will dominated to keep them undefeated. I am so glad the committee recognized his talent.
                          Promptly turning this award into a joke!

Comment

• I don't know if he originated it, but Huggins has said that to have a reasonable chance at an NCAA title, a team needs 3 NBA draft quality players.
                            Extending that down to d2, one could argue that you need at least three mid-major level d1 players to have a decent chance:

For example, take Nova SE:
                            Pierre - Memphis
                            Rogers - College of Charleston
                            Graziani - Samford
                            Sunahara - offers from wvu, georgia, notre dame, etc.
                            not to mention yoakum, who hit 50+ % from three.

Despite this talent, several teams played Nova tough, so one also cannot have an off night.
                            Augustana beat iowa in exhibition the year they won.
                            Findlay beat Ohio state the season before they won.

Comment

• Fyi
                              Freddie word from glenville transferred to mec charleston

Comment

• I heard a rumor around town this weekend that Ryan Reasbeck might be heading up Rt. 88. Anyone have any confirmation? Or is this mere idle grocery store chatter?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X