Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Chuck Norris View Post

I’m guessing they play it safe and go with Andy Kennedy. Calhoun’s time will come, he’s winning at a place no one wins, but he probably needs the shine of making the Dance to land a job that big.
    Looks like kennedy staying at UAB, per his tweet. Maybe mccollum, kelsey or beilein for 1 or 2 years

Comment

• Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post

Looks like kennedy staying at UAB, per his tweet. Maybe mccollum, kelsey or beilein for 1 or 2 years
      Staying at UAB rather than Morgantown?

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Yes. Remaining as coach of UAB.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

It is his alma mater. I guess the lure of Morgantown isn’t enough to pull him away. A lot of people down there seem excited about the possibility of John Beilein returning. I actually really enjoyed his teams with Mike Gansey, Pittsnoggle, etc.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Norris View Post

It is his alma mater. I guess the lure of Morgantown isn’t enough to pull him away. A lot of people down there seem excited about the possibility of John Beilein returning. I actually really enjoyed his teams with Mike Gansey, Pittsnoggle, etc.
            Maybe they can bring Rich Rod back after this current disasters contract finally expires. Get the old band back together.

Comment

• FYI for WLU fans
              Bryce Butler won his second consecutive MEC male athlete of the year, spanning all sports.
              Congrats Bryce and thanks for a great four years!

https://hilltoppersports.com/news/20...ear-honor.aspx

Comment

• FYI West Liberty Fans - Will Yoakum is on Chicago Bulls Summer League Roster
                They play in Las Vegas beginning Jul 7.

https://bullswire.usatoday.com/2023/...league-roster/

Comment

FYI West Liberty Fans - Will Yoakum is on Chicago Bulls Summer League Roster
                  They play in Las Vegas beginning Jul 7.

https://bullswire.usatoday.com/2023/...league-roster/
                  Should be in the South Region thread.

Comment

• Some opinions for WLU fans: FYI

It looks like WLU has reloaded for 2023, despite losing Butler, McKinney, and Cannady.

Some observations, primarily on the guards:

- WLU will score in variety of ways in order to replace the production of those who have moved on. The offense can flow through a variety of players, not just butler.

- I cannot recall when WLU has had so many guards who can play above the rim, getting blocks (or close goal tending calls) in the style of of will yoakum. Montague is joined by Shuler, Fergus, Pankey and D'Augustino in playing above the rim. They are all solid defenders.

- Rasile has gotten even better defensively. He is able to stay in front of extremely quick guards. When he was recruited as the 2nd leading scorer in Ohio high school history at 3,000+ points (behind Diebler of Ohio State), I don't think anyone expected him to be a tough defender. A coach's son, he understands the game too and is a great passer.

- WLU has an embarrassment of riches in 3 pt shooting - Rasile 45%, Montague 44+%, Sarson 39+%, Barnhart 37%, Spadafora 35%. Reasbeck 35% will likely join the 40% club, when he realizes that the ball movement of wlu will give him more wide open looks with his feet set. When he has a wide open look, he can get red-hot from three.

- Spadafora improved his 3 pt shooting over the course of the season. He continues to improve following the season. He is also playing at an even faster pace and attacking opponents, while somehow remaining under control. He will exhaust opponents trying to keep up.

- Alek West has continued to work on his 3 pt shot, which will also see improvement this season. His passing is elite; teammates have to keep their head on a swivel and be ready for great pass when they least expect it. His inside game has also improved.

- The new players are adjusting to the defensive intensity and active hands of the West Liberty game. Moves that might have worked at their previous college or high school now result in live ball turnovers and fast breaks for the opponent. All a normal part of the adjustment. WLU has some new scorers with elite quickness. Once they learn the system, they will realize that scoring will come much easier and they don't have to rely on 1-on-1 dribble drives.

Comment

• On a slow summer day, I was watching some regular season games, looking for a game where WLU may have started raising their game to another level, which foreshadowed a deep NCAA run.
                      I came upon the Concord at WLU game on Feb 11.
                      WLU had 31 assists on 48 FGs. They forced 21 turnovers, of which 14 were steals.
                      They were 20-35 from three.
                      WLU set a D2 record, with 12 different players making a 3 pt shot (previous record was 11; D1 record is 9). Only one player did not make a three point shot.

With 5:15 left in the first half, Concord led 42-39.
                      At the half, WLU led 58-51.
                      At the 15:00 mark of the second half, the lead was just 10 at 65-55.
                      However the cumulative pressure of the 1st and second platoon was starting to wilt the Concord team.
                      WLU was rapidly moving the ball on offense, which tired Concord as much as the defensive pressure.
                      WLU was making the extra pass, passing up a good shot for a great shot.
                      By the 10 minute mark, the lead grew to 83-65.
                      By the 5 minute mark, the lead was 106--71.

The final was a 48 pt margin, 127-79.

The dominance of a well coached team with an all MEC player by extreme effort and sharing of the ball was when I got the feeling that WLU was developing incredible synergy, far beyond the sum of the individual talents. They won by double digits through the MEC tourney, Atlantic Region and Elite 8 game.
                      Hopefully, their unselfish attitude will be repeated this season with all the new players.

Will have to wait and see.

Comment

• Seems like only in the Hilltop can you get better by subtracting All Americans!!

If we were a NC final team with the scrubs Butler, McKinney and Canady on the floor, ANYTHING less than a NC with this team is coaching malfeasance!!! Cast the rings and print the NC T-Shirts because it's OVER!!

Comment

• Wlu fans Fyi in case you missed it.
                          Coach Howlett named MEC male coach of year across all sports.
                          https://hilltoppersports.com/sports/mens-basketball

Comment

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                            Seems like only in the Hilltop can you get better by subtracting All Americans!!

If we were a NC final team with the scrubs Butler, McKinney and Canady on the floor, ANYTHING less than a NC with this team is coaching malfeasance!!! Cast the rings and print the NC T-Shirts because it's OVER!!
                            Each year that we had lost an all American or dominant player, I used to wonder how will we ever replace them?

2012 Alex Falk, AA leads us to 34-2
                            2013 Cedric Harris AA emerges and we go 31-4
                            2014 Seger Bonifant AA emerges and we are 28-4
                            2016 Dan Monterosa AA emerges and we are 28-4
                            2018 Dalton Bolon AA emerges with Will Yoakum and we are 28-5
                            2021 - Will Yoakum is hurt but Bryce Butler AA emerges and we are 29-3
                            2022 - Bryce Butler AA leads a very unselfish team and we are 33-4.
                            2023 - which players will emerge?

It never ceases to amaze me how wlu seems to find ways to compensate for the loss of elite players. In 2023, will it be a transfer, a veteran, or a younger player who emerges?
                            Should be an interesting year.
                            Last edited by Columbuseer; 08-02-2023, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Each year that we had lost an all American or dominant player, I used to wonder how will we ever replace them?

2012 Alex Falk, AA leads us to 34-2
                              2013 Cedric Harris AA emerges and we go 31-4
                              2014 Seger Bonifant AA emerges and we are 28-4
                              2016 Dan Monterosa AA emerges and we are 28-4
                              2018 Dalton Bolon AA emerges with Will Yoakum and we are 28-5
                              2021 - Will Yoakum is hurt but Bryce Butler AA emerges and we are 29-3
                              2022 - Bryce Butler AA leads a very unselfish team and we are 33-4.
                              2023 - which players will emerge?

It never ceases to amaze me how wlu seems to find ways to compensate for the loss of elite players. In 2023, will it be a transfer, a veteran, or a younger player who emerges?
                              Should be an interesting year.
                              Sooo...we don't get better when they leave, we stay about the same. Question is, would we have been better if the transfers had not left? Would Butler not have been good if Yoakim had not been injured then transfered?

Comment

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

Sooo...we don't get better when they leave, we stay about the same. Question is, would we have been better if the transfers had not left? Would Butler not have been good if Yoakim had not been injured then transfered?
                                I am not sure "staying the same" logically follows. I think the data only shows wlu does not go through the rebuilding years that one would expect from losing great players.
                                Like wlu, neither does nwmsu, iup, mercyhurst, etc.

Does The term "better" mean deeper runs in ncaa or better w-l record? Both depend on matchups and when/if you have to play those teams that have once in a coaching career roster.

Personally, I thought Nova had a tougher road to the finals.
                                Imho, if wlu had yoakum, rather than Nova se, then wlu wins the final, despite the fact Nova had 4 D1 level players. But Butler played 4 yrs, Yoakum and Bolon were at wlu for 5 yrs , so I have no problem with them leaving.
                                Had Butler stayed, we would likely make a deep run this season, especially with the addition of the gifted Fergus, all region and the best d2 player in NY metro. He is a super quick, high wire act, who shares the ball.

Butler is gone, but I look for players to take a big step up. Korte and Woodward will surprise folks, as just 2 examples.

The success will be determined by how well they blend and adapt to the system. But the talent is there across all 14 players. Looking forward to seeing how it plays out.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X