Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

Don't know if it's just the coaches or a change in format, but this years Media Day seemed to be filled with not much information.
    I agree. It was hard to select the coach who gave the least info, but my nominee is the ndc coach. Imho, it is a waste of time to have this in person in Bridgeport. Have a zoom conference instead.

Comment

Just asking because vs D1's fans often crow about how the 'their team took it to the D1 before losing late.

Scrimmages are when teams try things they may not do much of during the season. Hence the Ashland zone for extended time. Get some practice doing it. We don't do such things because we only play one way so no need to try something different...it would just be waisted effort that could better be spent honing 3 point shooting.
      You could be right. However, the timing of ashland going to zone was when the wlu pressure was on the verge to breaking the game wide open after the lead got to double digits. Another possible explanation is the ashland coach was playing to win and was using the zone as a tourniquet, desperate to stop the bleeding. He also played his starting 5 a lot of minutes. But not as much as new haven lol.

Comment

• Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post

You could be right. However, the timing of ashland going to zone was when the wlu pressure was on the verge to breaking the game wide open after the lead got to double digits. Another possible explanation is the ashland coach was playing to win and was using the zone as a tourniquet, desperate to stop the bleeding. He also played his starting 5 a lot of minutes. But not as much as new haven lol.
        Some teams (and fan bases) love scrimmages. But for WLU it seems the only benefit is you're "playing" against different people. Heck, you could even say that WLU scrimmaging someone is counter productive. In a scrimmage we only have five players on the floor at a time...in practice, we have 10 on the floor.

Comment

I agree. It was hard to select the coach who gave the least info, but my nominee is the ndc coach. Imho, it is a waste of time to have this in person in Bridgeport. Have a zoom conference instead.
          One tid bit from the Comish's comments...The MEC plans to be back at 12 members by next season.

Some speculation here:

He said 12 members, not provisional members. Seems to indicate an existing DII as opposed to an NAIA or D3.

Again, 12 MEMBERS, not associate members.

As these things go, the new league year starts in June/July (?). 8 or 9 months from now so I presume there are talks that are taking place now with interested school(s).

I would imagine the school that joins will come from the list of hopefuls we've talked about before on this board.

Comment

One tid bit from the Comish's comments...The MEC plans to be back at 12 members by next season.

Some speculation here:

He said 12 members, not provisional members. Seems to indicate an existing DII as opposed to an NAIA or D3.

Again, 12 MEMBERS, not associate members.

As these things go, the new league year starts in June/July (?). 8 or 9 months from now so I presume there are talks that are taking place now with interested school(s).

I would imagine the school that joins will come from the list of hopefuls we've talked about before on this board.
            I suppose it's always possible that Pembroke becomes a full member.

But I would guess that Bluefield or Salem is a more likely suspect here.

And the fact that Salem graciously offered to adopt all of AB's schedules in multiple sports to help fill in those gaps for teams losing their opponents at the last minute might be a signal that they are being "tried out" as a member. [shrug]

Comment

• Originally posted by Scrub View Post

And the fact that Salem graciously offered to adopt all of AB's schedules in multiple sports to help fill in those gaps for teams losing their opponents at the last minute might be a signal that they are being "tried out" as a member. [shrug]
              Unc Pembroke football going to conference Carolina in 2025.
              bluefield state joining ciaa.

My guess is Salem, but they dont have football.

Comment

Some teams (and fan bases) love scrimmages. But for WLU it seems the only benefit is you're "playing" against different people. Heck, you could even say that WLU scrimmaging someone is counter productive. In a scrimmage we only have five players on the floor at a time...in practice, we have 10 on the floor.
                In practice, both teams know the concepts or plays and individual tendencies of opponent, which can cloud evaluations. Ashland was a great test, for wlu went in cold on purpose, without preparing for them. I liked that ashland had a big team with skilled post players. Very useful.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scrub View Post

One of the numerous problems with Salem is the lack of a football program. With the shuttering of AB and the pending departure of UNCP, that leaves the MEC with 10 football playing schools. Don't believe the desire is to go forward playing 9 conference games.

Clearly the MEC wants to be at 12 members...and no more. But in this day and age, that clearly is hard to do. To be guaranteed of having 12 you almost need 14. That way you are not left scrambling. I mean, this is the third time this has happened (Urbana and Shepherd before). As the saying goes, hope for the best but plan for the worst.

If I were king (which obviously I'm not), I'd try and bring in three schools...one existing DII full member w/football, one NAIA/D3 step-up w/football and Salem if you absolutely have to.

Comment

One of the numerous problems with Salem is the lack of a football program. With the shuttering of AB and the pending departure of UNCP, that leaves the MEC with 10 football playing schools. Don't believe the desire is to go forward playing 9 conference games.

Clearly the MEC wants to be at 12 members...and no more. But in this day and age, that clearly is hard to do. To be guaranteed of having 12 you almost need 14. That way you are not left scrambling. I mean, this is the third time this has happened (Urbana and Shepherd before). As the saying goes, hope for the best but plan for the worst.

If I were king (which obviously I'm not), I'd try and bring in three schools...one existing DII full member w/football, one NAIA/D3 step-up w/football and Salem if you absolutely have to.
                    I'd keep Frostburg State under lock and key. They'll be the next target of the PSAC. I'd guarantee it. They would be a great geographic fit to the PSAC East.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

I'd keep Frostburg State under lock and key. They'll be the next target of the PSAC. I'd guarantee it. They would be a great geographic fit to the PSAC East.
                      Frostburg would be just as likely a fit for the West. They're west of Cumberland and almost directly south from Johnstown.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

So which of the five schools on life support in the PSAC is going to be the first to close? And at what point does the PSAC, which was formed so the PA state schools could have their own conference, need to change it's name?

Comment

So which of the five schools on life support in the PSAC is going to be the first to close? And at what point does the PSAC, which was formed so the PA state schools could have their own conference, need to change it's name?
                          Well, it will probably take more than 1-2 outside schools for the conference to change its name. And then, of course, there is the example of the Big 10, which will soon have 18 teams.

Comment

Unc Pembroke football going to conference Carolina in 2025.
                            bluefield state joining ciaa.

My guess is Salem, but they dont have football.
                            Have to think Salem would be a hard "no." No football and too many similarities to AB in terms of living paycheck to paycheck. Given the travel factor involved, I would expect the MEC to add a team well within the current footprint. With the success of Frostburg State's transition from D3 to D2, I'd look for the Commish to try it again with a PAC or OAC school looking to move up and, judging from his level of confidence at Media Day, it seems that school has already been identified.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Well, it will probably take more than 1-2 outside schools for the conference to change its name. And then, of course, there is the example of the Big 10, which will soon have 18 teams.
                              PSAC already has five members from "outside" of the reason for starting the conference. As I recall, there was some tongue wagging and snarky comments on the PSAC board directed at the NE-10 when they fell below 10 members.

Comment

• Originally posted by timbertopper View Post

Have to think Salem would be a hard "no." No football and too many similarities to AB in terms of living paycheck to paycheck. Given the travel factor involved, I would expect the MEC to add a team well within the current footprint. With the success of Frostburg State's transition from D3 to D2, I'd look for the Commish to try it again with a PAC or OAC school looking to move up and, judging from his level of confidence at Media Day, it seems that school has already been identified.
                                Salem is AB with less financial stability and less commitment to it's athletic program.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X