Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post

I am not sure "staying the same" logically follows. I think the data only shows wlu does not go through the rebuilding years that one would expect from losing great players.
    Like wlu, neither does nwmsu, iup, mercyhurst, etc.

Does The term "better" mean deeper runs in ncaa or better w-l record? Both depend on matchups and when/if you have to play those teams that have once in a coaching career roster.

Personally, I thought Nova had a tougher road to the finals.
    Imho, if wlu had yoakum, rather than Nova se, then wlu wins the final, despite the fact Nova had 4 D1 level players. But Butler played 4 yrs, Yoakum and Bolon were at wlu for 5 yrs , so I have no problem with them leaving.
    Had Butler stayed, we would likely make a deep run this season, especially with the addition of the gifted Fergus, all region and the best d2 player in NY metro. He is a super quick, high wire act, who shares the ball.

Butler is gone, but I look for players to take a big step up. Korte and Woodward will surprise folks, as just 2 examples.

The success will be determined by how well they blend and adapt to the system. But the talent is there across all 14 players. Looking forward to seeing how it plays out.
    WL should have won the whole thing last year. Stay cool in final and they'd have beat Nova. The stupid flagrant/ejection cost them the national title.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

WL should have won the whole thing last year. Stay cool in final and they'd have beat Nova. The stupid flagrant/ejection cost them the national title.
      Certainly did not help. Graziano had a terrible game against mo st. Louis, forcing shots. But he played amazingly well against wlu. He was a big factor along with yoakum.

some wlu players will be the target of psy-ops by opposing teams. They need to be prepared, control their emotions and not take the bait.

Comment

Certainly did not help. Graziano had a terrible game against mo st. Louis, forcing shots. But he played amazingly well against wlu. He was a big factor along with yoakum.

some wlu players will be the target of psy-ops by opposing teams. They need to be prepared, control their emotions and not take the bait.
        That starts with the head coach.

Comment

• One can never predict with certainty how incoming hs recruits will evolve and develop.
          However, I am really encouraged by the potential of wlu 's 3 freshmen.

- D'Augustino averaged 28 pts, despite frequent double teams. He won the mvp of ohio all star game that had d1 signees from michigan, indiana and xavier, despite playing only one half. He has great range on his jump shot, but can also drive to the rim. He has great endurance and footwork as a soccer star, and his body is unusually strong for his age. He holds his own against the veterans and is not intimidated. Plays above the rim and good defender. Expect him to play this year.

- Pankey is very athletic with high bball iq, with pg skills to go along with great scoring. In all star game, he acquitted himself quite well against a u. Michigan signee. Plays above the rim. Good defender. Great vision and shares the ball. He can take over a game. Not intimidated by the veterans, great scorer inside and outside. Expect him to play this year.

- Kisner is very athletic, great 3 pt shooter. What surprised me is his grace and speed with the basketball. He might be the fastest big with the ball in his hands. The ball seems like a part of his body as he runs in transition. He surprises bigs with his ability to block shots. His ceiling is very high. He just needs time to develop. There is a log jam with 5 bigs, so I would not be surprised if he redshirts to get stronger.

The freshmen are adjusting, learning that many moves that worked in hs don't work against quicker, older veterans with active hands. Normal period of adjustment.

Wlu could have 3 rotations of guards. That will put extreme pressure on guard oriented opponents.

Comment

One can never predict with certainty how incoming hs recruits will evolve and develop.
            However, I am really encouraged by the potential of wlu 's 3 freshmen.

- D'Augustino averaged 28 pts, despite frequent double teams. He won the mvp of ohio all star game that had d1 signees from michigan, indiana and xavier, despite playing only one half. He has great range on his jump shot, but can also drive to the rim. He has great endurance and footwork as a soccer star, and his body is unusually strong for his age. He holds his own against the veterans and is not intimidated. Plays above the rim and good defender. Expect him to play this year.

- Pankey is very athletic with high bball iq, with pg skills to go along with great scoring. In all star game, he acquitted himself quite well against a u. Michigan signee. Plays above the rim. Good defender. Great vision and shares the ball. He can take over a game. Not intimidated by the veterans, great scorer inside and outside. Expect him to play this year.

- Kisner is very athletic, great 3 pt shooter. What surprised me is his grace and speed with the basketball. He might be the fastest big with the ball in his hands. The ball seems like a part of his body as he runs in transition. He surprises bigs with his ability to block shots. His ceiling is very high. He just needs time to develop. There is a log jam with 5 bigs, so I would not be surprised if he redshirts to get stronger.

The freshmen are adjusting, learning that many moves that worked in hs don't work against quicker, older veterans with active hands. Normal period of adjustment.

Wlu could have 3 rotations of guards. That will put extreme pressure on guard oriented opponents.
            Three rotations of guards. At WLU that means 15 guards!! Of course, if we play positionless basketball, do we really have ANY guards???

Comment

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
              Three rotations of guards. At WLU that means 15 guards!! Of course, if we play positionless basketball, do we really have ANY guards???
              Ha ha. Can understand how you arrived at 15, as every wlu player has guard skills in varying degrees. I was using an estimate that opponents often have 2 to 3 players with greater ball handling skills and quickness, with the remaining two players being taller, slower players.

An arbitrary, non-ordered grouping of folks who would defend opponent's guards in the half court game, assuming they have 3 guards on the floor.

Montague
              Fergus
              West

Rasile
              Spadafora
              Shuler

D'Augustino
              Pankey
              Reasbeck
              Barnhart

Yes, we do play positionless basketball. After both teams in the finals played postionless, it looks like the legendary "alternate style" is on hold for the time being :-)

Last edited by Columbuseer; 08-08-2023, 06:57 AM. Reason: Added shuler

Comment

Ha ha. Can understand how you arrived at 15, as every wlu player has guard skills in varying degrees. I was using an estimate that opponents often have 2 to 3 players with greater ball handling skills and quickness, with the remaining two players being taller, slower players.

An arbitrary, non-ordered grouping of folks who would defend opponent's guards in the half court game, assuming they have 3 guards on the floor.

Montague
                Fergus
                West

Rasile
                Spadafora
                Shuler

D'Augustino
                Pankey
                Reasbeck
                Barnhart

Yes, we do play positionless basketball. After both teams in the finals played postionless, it looks like the legendary "alternate style" is on hold for the time being :-)

Clearly we are never going to even attempt anything but our primary style. The answer to any struggles we might have is "more cow bell." A big at WLU is nothing more than the height listed in the on-line roster. If he doesn't shoot 3 and handle the ball like a guard, his minutes will decline and he will ultimately transfer. No amount of rebounds, second chance put backs or rim defense will ever be enough to counter either a poor 3 pt shooting percentage OR a reluctance to take 3's.

During the regular season and sometimes deep into the NCAA tourney, running only 5 "guards" works great. But more often than not, our season is ended by a team with a big or two that we just can't contain.

If the purpose of a WLU season is to look really really good, to put up big numbers and stack up wins, lead the nation in statistical categories and win Conf championships, he11, we found that recipe years ago. But if the goal is to win National Championships, we have been weighed and measured and found lacking.

Comment

Clearly we are never going to even attempt anything but our primary style. The answer to any struggles we might have is "more cow bell." A big at WLU is nothing more than the height listed in the on-line roster. If he doesn't shoot 3 and handle the ball like a guard, his minutes will decline and he will ultimately transfer. No amount of rebounds, second chance put backs or rim defense will ever be enough to counter either a poor 3 pt shooting percentage OR a reluctance to take 3's.

During the regular season and sometimes deep into the NCAA tourney, running only 5 "guards" works great. But more often than not, our season is ended by a team with a big or two that we just can't contain.

If the purpose of a WLU season is to look really really good, to put up big numbers and stack up wins, lead the nation in statistical categories and win Conf championships, he11, we found that recipe years ago. But if the goal is to win National Championships, we have been weighed and measured and found lacking.
                  Wlu does not recruit bigs who cannot shoot the three and handle the ball. Hinds was over 50% for much of the season before slumping later in the season.
                  We played in finals in 2014 and 2023. We beat every team this year in MEC tourney until final 4 by double digits. You might want to check your scales with weights and measures lol. Most would agree they are off. Wlu out rebounded
                  many teams. Basketball is changing due to 3 point shot. Bigs are an endangered species in nba unless one has Durant or jokic level skills. New haven big was a non factor. Analyst said wlu was playing 5 on 4 because the 7-1 shot blocker was a non factor. Fatigue makes cowards of us all. Traditional big cannot withstand the wlu pace as long as guards.
                  Last edited by Columbuseer; 08-08-2023, 11:04 PM.

Comment

Wlu does not recruit bigs who cannot shoot the three and handle the ball. Hinds was over 50% for much of the season before slumping later in the season.
                    We played in finals in 2014 and 2023. We beat every team this year in MEC tourney until final 4 by double digits. You might want to check your scales with weights and measures lol. Most would agree they are off. Wlu out rebounded
                    many teams. Basketball is changing due to 3 point shot. Bigs are an endangered species in nba unless one has Durant or jokic level skills. New haven big was a non factor. Analyst said wlu was playing 5 on 4 because the 7-1 shot blocker was a non factor. Fatigue makes cowards of us all. Traditional big cannot withstand the wlu pace as long as guards.
                    I would say WLU doesn't recruit bigs at all. Yes, there some players that are 6'6"+ sometimes on the roster, but that is more happenstance than a specific attribute recruited to. If you are 6'6"+ at WLU, you need to play like a 6'3" guard or you will see your minutes diminish and will ultimately transfer.

Comment

I would say WLU doesn't recruit bigs at all. Yes, there some players that are 6'6"+ sometimes on the roster, but that is more happenstance than a specific attribute recruited to. If you are 6'6"+ at WLU, you need to play like a 6'3" guard or you will see your minutes diminish and will ultimately transfer.
                      I would agree that prerequisites are good shooters especially from three, passing, dribbling, rebounding, sharing the ball and high motor. Once these are met, if they are also tall then that is icing on the cake. Hinds is 6-8 and 220 lbs. I would say he is a big. But he is rare as i saw him make 60% threes from many different areas during a workout.

imho, Wlu will not recruit a wide body like mcmanus from charleston for he can't sustain the pace. And no one will come out to defend his three.

Imho, Regardless of size, most players transfer due to:
                      -lack of playing time and unwilling to wait until jr or senior year
                      -Discover they are more comfortable in an offense with set plays
                      -the style is too physically demanding
                      - decide that the ultra competitive gym rat culture is too time consuming.

Comment

• Fyi
                        Example of characteristics of positionless bball player
                        eli Allen 6-4 Gatorade player of yr in wv
                        21 pts, 9 assists, 7 rebounds, 3 steals. 3.83 GPA

Going to nova southeastern

https://www.register-herald.com/spor...6a2c64d51.html

Comment

I would agree that prerequisites are good shooters especially from three, passing, dribbling, rebounding, sharing the ball and high motor. Once these are met, if they are also tall then that is icing on the cake. Hinds is 6-8 and 220 lbs. I would say he is a big. But he is rare as i saw him make 60% threes from many different areas during a workout.

imho, Wlu will not recruit a wide body like mcmanus from charleston for he can't sustain the pace. And no one will come out to defend his three.

Imho, Regardless of size, most players transfer due to:
                          -lack of playing time and unwilling to wait until jr or senior year
                          -Discover they are more comfortable in an offense with set plays
                          -the style is too physically demanding
                          - decide that the ultra competitive gym rat culture is too time consuming.

60% from three! WOW! That stat had me scrambling for the season stat sheet! Not 60% for the season!!!

The WLU big I'm most worried about is Woodard and he's an excellent example. Leads the returning team in shooting % and on a per minute basis is solidly near the top in a number of categories, the one were he is the bottom is 3 point shooting were he shot .000! He ain't going to stay on the Hilltop shooting 0% from three no matter how good ANY other stat or collection of stats is!!

Comment

60% from three! WOW! That stat had me scrambling for the season stat sheet! Not 60% for the season!!!

The WLU big I'm most worried about is Woodard and he's an excellent example. Leads the returning team in shooting % and on a per minute basis is solidly near the top in a number of categories, the one were he is the bottom is 3 point shooting were he shot .000! He ain't going to stay on the Hilltop shooting 0% from three no matter how good ANY other stat or collection of stats is!!
                            i am sure you are familiar with Excel, given your comfort with stats. just generate stats cumulatively one game at a time. Hinds was best 3 pt shooter at over 50% early in season, but tailed off later in season to a final 34.9%, which is still very good.
                            60% was a preseason workout for Hinds - very rare to see for d2 big.

You may be pleasantly surprised this upcoming season with Woodward. His ceiling is extremely high.
                            Mckinney was 29% at Seton Hill when he came to hilltop. Jumped to over 40% in one year.
                            Last edited by Columbuseer; 08-12-2023, 10:04 AM.

Comment

• Wlu schedule is out.
                              Nov 10 and 11 play Shippensburg and Seton Hill at wlu.
                              Nov 15 chestnut hill

dec 17 and 18 play dominican and angelo state in daytona beach. [email protected] has airline seats and rooms.
                              both made ncaa.

https://hilltoppersports.com/news/20...-schedule.aspx
                              Last edited by Columbuseer; 08-14-2023, 03:16 PM.

Comment

Wlu schedule is out.
                                Nov 10 and 11 play Shippensburg and Seton Hill at wlu.
                                Nov 15 chestnut hill

dec 17 and 18 play dominican and angelo state in daytona beach. [email protected] has airline seats and rooms.
                                both made ncaa.

https://hilltoppersports.com/news/20...-schedule.aspx
                                Don't forget to note: Salem has made an agreement with the MEC to basically adopt AB's entire schedule. So that means that WLU now has a home-and-home with Salem in the weeks where AB was formerly slotted.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X