Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
    There's the rub. He has things in his skill set that we haven't had in a big in quite a while. Will we take advantage of those "different" skills or will we use him as nothing more than a really big guard?
    I suspect we will leverage all his skills, based on what the opponent is giving us, just like we did with Viktor last year.

Viktor was quite good with his back to the basket (see Bowie State against athletic 6-8 big as an example). Viktor was also one of the best interior passers we have had in recent years, which will be hard to replace. We got many layups by Viktor drawing big away from basket, leaving big gaps in defense for an assist from Viktor.

Having a big who can also play outside puts additional stress on the opponent's typical one-dimensional traditional bigs.

Concord HOF Coach Cox (broadcast analyst) said as much describing Viktor during game at Concord, where he blew by defender from the corner for a score. He said Concord's bigs are not used to guarding opponents away from the basket. He said you don't often see bigs with those skills. He definitely considered it as an advantage.

Comment

• Great news!
      Wlu has signed Michael Sampson, a double double machine with 2 years to play. Could fill rebounding void left by Marlon Moore Jr. 6-4 forward with arms of 6-10 player is a big advantage on defense.
      https://hilltoppersports.com/news/20...r-2022-23.aspx

Excerpts:
      Sampson is no stranger to Hilltopper fans or the rest of the Mountain East Conference as the Houston, Texas native put up some impressive numbers while starting every game for Notre Dame over the past two seasons.
      The 6-4 southpaw scored more than 500 points and grabbed over 400 rebounds during his two seasons with the Falcons while shooting a blistering 63 percent (215-of-341) from the floor. He led NDC in rebounds (8.1 rpg.), steals and blocks while ranking second on the team with 75 assists this season. He had 16 double-figure scoring games and 10 double-figure rebound games.
      Among his season highlights were an 11-point, 15-rebound night in an 82-81 upset of West Liberty on Nov. 23 and a career-high 22-point game against Davis & Elkins on Dec. 8. Sampson finished the season ranked among the Top 5 in the MEC in Offensive Rebounds, Defensive Rebounds and Steals.
      Last edited by Columbuseer; 05-24-2022, 09:43 AM.

Comment

• Nice addition roster is shaping up nicely. Any spots left?

Comment

• Originally posted by Layton View Post
          Nice addition roster is shaping up nicely. Any spots left?
          Have no info.
          By my count we have 13.
          7 returnees
          4 transfers
          1 hs
          1 prep school

Last year they had 15, which is a number they liked since it provided a buffer for the inevitable practice injuries. However, they don't recruit practice cannon fodder, but only guys who can compete.
          My uninformed guess is they would like at least one more player, provided they are a fit.

Comment

• FYI

Luke and Garrett Denbow landed at Anderson Univ., a D2 private Southern Baptist school in Anderson, SC. New coach and only 7 players on roster so my guess is they both probably got scholarships.

I definitely suggest that they pursue at least a minor in Ethics LOL.

Tough road to tourney... Lincoln Memorial, Queens, etc.

IMHO their wlu replacements are significant upgrades.

Comment

• Observations: WLU Team 3 pt FG% during regular 21-22 season
              Bin Frequency
              20.00% 1
              29.75% 5
              39.50% 12
              49.25% 6
              59.00% 5
              More 1
              3fg% Std. Deviation 0.110972
              3FG% Median 36%
              3FG% Mean 39%

Comment

• In looking over the wlu roster, it appears that it contains an inordinate amount of experience, even for wlu, where 10 players see significant action. IMHO a common thread for deep runs in ncaa is a highly experienced roster.

Consider just the college game minutes played:

Cannady 2616
                Mckinney 2539
                Montague 2305
                Butler 2100
                West 1680
                Sampson 1506
                Rasile 939
                Hinds 856
                Sarson 597
                Webb 263

Spadafora 0 redshirt
                Woodard 0 elite prep
                Barnhart 0 high school

The pre season open gym games should be incredibly competitive! Another positive outcome is that the younger players will improve even more rapidly due to playing against proven, skilled, experienced players.

Comment

• Originally posted by Layton View Post
                  Nice addition roster is shaping up nicely. Any spots left?
                  Under Ben, WLU's roster size has fluculated from 12 to 15 with the average size being 14. Do they have spots left? Yes. Will they necessarily go all the way to 15? Maybe...maybe not.

Comment

• Idle musings....
                    What current or former wlu players have a shot at non NBA pro ball (imho none of them have the body for nba regardless of their skills)?

What are their greatest areas of improvement in order to have a shot?

Here are my candidates:
                    1. Robinson iii
                    2. Bolon
                    3. Butler
                    4. McKinney

Comment

• I hope the wlu players watched the NBA finals. Imho it validated Coach Howlett's exhortations to rapidly pass the ball and not let it "stick". It does not matter how great of an individual player you are.

Both teams had great success rapidly rotating the ball around the perimeter or inside-out for wide open shots. It was especially impressive because there were so many great 1 on 1 players on the floor who were passing up a makeable shot attempt to give a teammate a great shot.

imho the Celtics lost when they occasionally departed from this strategy and tried to go 1 on 1 to draw a double team and then tried to make a pass while in the air in traffic and turned the ball over. The warriors had excellent team defense in rapidly moving in front of the intended recipient of the pass.

Read one study where 3 ball rotations nearly always results in a great (open) shot.

Trouble is AAU teaches none of these team concepts.

Thoughts? Comments?

Comment

• Examples of how Ben want's his teams to play are not hard to come by and it's pretty clear he's not wasting his players time in practice doing anything except open gym practices. The problem is getting players that listen and can execute at the high level of efficiency necessary for success. Far too often the team seems to collectively decide to ignore Ben's teachings or collectively having trouble hitting the broad side of a barn from 3. Last two seasons WLU has shot .368 and .377 from beyond the arc...Two lowest % from 3 in the Ben era. And last season was the first in the Ben era when our opponents shot better from 3 than we did. You might say it is an insignificant blip, but last season was also the first of the Ben era were we have averaged less than 100 PPG for the season

Comment

Examples of how Ben want's his teams to play are not hard to come by and it's pretty clear he's not wasting his players time in practice doing anything except open gym practices. The problem is getting players that listen and can execute at the high level of efficiency necessary for success. Far too often the team seems to collectively decide to ignore Ben's teachings or collectively having trouble hitting the broad side of a barn from 3. Last two seasons WLU has shot .368 and .377 from beyond the arc...Two lowest % from 3 in the Ben era. And last season was the first in the Ben era when our opponents shot better from 3 than we did. You might say it is an insignificant blip, but last season was also the first of the Ben era were we have averaged less than 100 PPG for the season
                          Points per possession is all that matters, regardless of how one scores. wlu ppp was 1.25 last year, which is consistent with prior teams since 2010 and is better than any d1 team. More opponents are limiting the possessions by slowing down the game, which reduces scoring per game. Given their increasing athletic skill, If wlu passes faster, the ppp could go even higher and they might reduce the 3pt shooting % standard deviation.

Comment

• Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post

Points per possession is all that matters, regardless of how one scores. wlu ppp was 1.25 last year, which is consistent with prior teams since 2010 and is better than any d1 team. More opponents are limiting the possessions by slowing down the game, which reduces scoring per game. Given their increasing athletic skill, If wlu passes faster, the ppp could go even higher and they might reduce the 3pt shooting % standard deviation.
                            I would beg to differ...Score on the scoreboard is all that matters. If my handy dandy PPP calculator is working correctly there are many ways a team can have a higher PPP than their opponent and still figure out a way to lose on the scoreboard! I know that seems like crazy talk, but numbers never lie.

I'd probably slow my roll on stating we are better than any d1 team! Maybe we should win a DII NC first!!!

Comment

I would beg to differ...Score on the scoreboard is all that matters. If my handy dandy PPP calculator is working correctly there are many ways a team can have a higher PPP than their opponent and still figure out a way to lose on the scoreboard! I know that seems like crazy talk, but numbers never lie.

I'd probably slow my roll on stating we are better than any d1 team! Maybe we should win a DII NC first!!!
                              You need to help me out. If both teams have the same number of possessions, how does the team with the lower ppp win? There can be a 1 or 2 possession difference on some occasions, but not a significant number.

Points per game depends on pace of play, so it is not as reliable in predicting winners as ppp.

my reference to d1 was specific to points per possession with their respective schedules. It is a common measure of offense efficiency within the respective level of competition. Purdue and Gonzaga have higher ppp than most all d1 schools, because they shoot well and share the ball. Change level of competition and it affects ppp.

Comment

• Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post

You need to help me out. If both teams have the same number of possessions, how does the team with the lower ppp win? There can be a 1 or 2 possession difference on some occasions, but not a significant number.

Points per game depends on pace of play, so it is not as reliable in predicting winners as ppp.

my reference to d1 was specific to points per possession with their respective schedules. It is a common measure of offense efficiency within the respective level of competition. Purdue and Gonzaga have higher ppp than most all d1 schools, because they shoot well and share the ball. Change level of competition and it affects ppp.
                                You would think that the number of possessions would be the same for each team, If you possessed the ball even for just an inbound pass, that is a possession. But in advanced stat head world, that's much to simple. Have to quantify certain things that impact, at least in the stat head community, possessions. Have to factor in Offensive Rebounds and turnovers and freethrows and a variable between 0 and 1 (sometimes .4, sometimes .44 depending on who you talk to) to get a "true" stat head definition of "possession." This manipulated version of possession is then used in another stat head developed formula to determine points for each possession.

Don't get me wrong, I think stats have their place is showing what a team does well and what they don't. And as a tool for betting, guess they are better than a coin flip. But stats, be they advanced or your run of the mill "old" basic ones are no replacement for the two penultimate team "stats" - Score on Scoreboard (SoS) and Final Record on Season (FRoS).

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X