Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Iup basketball

Danielak got forced into this role once CJ left the team. That sucks before he should be in rotation with Cobo OR have Cobo and Danielak on the court together. It just hasn't worked that way with CJ's late departure. I think in the regional you'll see Danielak start getting more looks. On that note, with no Danielak, Malik has risen which has been huge! This team is going to be a tough out. Do I feel they are an elitie 8 team, not yet but there is a chance. They need to fix the TO's and shot better from the line.

Comment

There was a time that Cal's visit to IUP was the hottest ticket in town. If you weren't at the Field House by at least half time of the women's game you could be in trouble. It's been awhile since those days but it's still weird to see this game played on a Wednesday night ... over break, at that.

IUP leads the all-time series, 110-72 and has won 7 of 8 in the series, which has become very lopsided over the past 10 years.

On paper, tonight should be a blowout. However, I have no doubt this will be a close game. Cal doesn't have many players, but it has a few who can cause some issues against the IUP defense. Cal's 5-12 record can also be viewed as a bit deceiving. There's been some really close losses in there: 6 points to Shippensburg, 2 points to West Chester, 4 points (OT) to Gannon, 5 points to Edinboro ... surrounded by some nice wins over Seton Hill and Slippery Rock. The Vulcans could certainly be viewed as at least a .500 type team.

IUP's last two outings -- against teams with similar records -- have both come down to the final minutes (Millersville and Edinboro). The trip to Clarion on Saturday will have very similar circumstances. Until this team cleans some stuff up, ... have to expect another close game tonight. I'd say IUP wins by 5-7 points.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
        There was a time that Cal's visit to IUP was the hottest ticket in town. If you weren't at the Field House by at least half time of the women's game you could be in trouble. It's been awhile since those days but it's still weird to see this game played on a Wednesday night ... over break, at that.

IUP leads the all-time series, 110-72 and has won 7 of 8 in the series, which has become very lopsided over the past 10 years.

On paper, tonight should be a blowout. However, I have no doubt this will be a close game. Cal doesn't have many players, but it has a few who can cause some issues against the IUP defense. Cal's 5-12 record can also be viewed as a bit deceiving. There's been some really close losses in there: 6 points to Shippensburg, 2 points to West Chester, 4 points (OT) to Gannon, 5 points to Edinboro ... surrounded by some nice wins over Seton Hill and Slippery Rock. The Vulcans could certainly be viewed as at least a .500 type team.

IUP's last two outings -- against teams with similar records -- have both come down to the final minutes (Millersville and Edinboro). The trip to Clarion on Saturday will have very similar circumstances. Until this team cleans some stuff up, ... have to expect another close game tonight. I'd say IUP wins by 5-7 points.
        That is so true! I still recall the 2003 game, incidentally also played on January 18, at Memorial Field House. The place was PACKED! People were sitting on the bleacher steps even. It was the most crowded that I ever saw an IUP hoops game. Unreal. This was such a great rivalry over the years in both men's and women's ball.

Comment

My personal favorite in the series was actually an IUP loss. It was the 1997-98 game at the Field House. Cal won in overtime. That was the night Rodney Horton went crazy and couldn't miss a shot. That was biggest crowd (and loudest) I ever personally saw at the Field House. It's funny how over the years so few games stand out in your memory and most just blend together. That is certainly one for me. I actually have the game on an old VHS somewhere ... I'd love to find it. And, of course, buy a VCR.

Comment

Iup men are the best in the west and prove it tonight. Iup by at least 10. Iup women by 3.

Comment

My personal favorite in the series was actually an IUP loss. It was the 1997-98 game at the Field House. Cal won in overtime. That was the night Rodney Horton went crazy and couldn't miss a shot. That was biggest crowd (and loudest) I ever personally saw at the Field House. It's funny how over the years so few games stand out in your memory and most just blend together. That is certainly one for me. I actually have the game on an old VHS somewhere ... I'd love to find it. And, of course, buy a VCR.
              I'll always remember the 93-94 regular season finale. IUP won handily, but what made it truly memorable was Jim Boone getting double T'd and tossed at the end of the first half. I thought the man was gonna have a heart attack and die right on the court he went so ballistic. And the crowd was as loud at that moment as any I've personally heard at ANY sports venue. That's the season IUP really put itself on the map nationally and the rivalry really exploded.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Norris View Post
                I'll always remember the 93-94 regular season finale. IUP won handily, but what made it truly memorable was Jim Boone getting double T'd and tossed at the end of the first half. I thought the man was gonna have a heart attack and die right on the court he went so ballistic. And the crowd was as loud at that moment as any I've personally heard at ANY sports venue. That's the season IUP really put itself on the map nationally and the rivalry really exploded.
                That was a tremendous atmosphere and game. That same season IUP then went on to beat Cal at the Hammermill and win the region title and earn their first birth to the Elite 8. I think Boone still has the bubble guts from losing that game!
                You are right, that was the beginning of IUP greatness and it is still going strong!!

Comment

IUP 78
                  Cal 65

Final

Final was deceiving ... IUP was up huge with 5-6 mins left. Classy ending by Joe.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Norris View Post
                    Was that the game Coach Boone threw his chair out onto the floor?

Comment

A couple observations from last night:

* Fairly solid performance ... never trailed in the game
                      * Largest lead was 24 points with 7 minutes left
                      * Let Cal cut it to 5 points, however, midway in the second half before a blitz run that knocked out the Vulcans.
                      * Downside was they let Cal hang around way longer than they should have ... the 14 turnovers didn't help.
                      * Cal has a decent starting group but the bench is as bare of a PSAC bench as I've ever seen. That's what's killing them.
                      * IUP hit 11 of 23 treys and won the boards 33 to 20 while shooting 51.7% from the field
                      * Spain started over Dante but ultimately they played the same amount of time.
                      * Joe could have really laid a big number on them but took the classy approach. That 24 point lead with 7 minutes left likely could have reached 35-38 points had they kept playing. At the end they were letting the shot clock go and not taking a shot.
                      * Danielak started 0-5 but found a rythem and showed some aggressive play. It was nice to see.
                      * I'd love to have Cal's center (Tony Richardson) off the bench. They are by default playing him way too many minutes and he gets terribly winded as the game goes on and becomes ineffective, but on a team like IUP if he'd play in short stints he'd be a beast. He had a strong first half last night but just wore out.
                      * Glover went for 20 points ... just the quiet assassin.
                      * There was a lot of the normal stuff last night ... rushing things, wild passes, etc., but they were masked due to the opponent.

The trip to Clarion is next. It was a wild one up there in a blizzard last year with IUP escaping with a come-from-behind, 68-67, win. Clarion is struggling, losing 7-8 straight, and was blown out at home last night by Edinboro.

Edinboro, by the way, is the one team not to count out down the stretch. They should get in to the PSAC tournament and could be a real tough out. I know the record doesn't reflect it .. but that's a decent team that could be a real good team by then. Big 'if' but the talent is there. I thought they were one of the better teams I've seen in person this year. The record is baffling.

Comment

A couple observations from last night:

* Fairly solid performance ... never trailed in the game
                        * Largest lead was 24 points with 7 minutes left
                        * Let Cal cut it to 5 points, however, midway in the second half before a blitz run that knocked out the Vulcans.
                        * Downside was they let Cal hang around way longer than they should have ... the 14 turnovers didn't help.
                        * Cal has a decent starting group but the bench is as bare of a PSAC bench as I've ever seen. That's what's killing them.
                        * IUP hit 11 of 23 treys and won the boards 33 to 20 while shooting 51.7% from the field
                        * Spain started over Dante but ultimately they played the same amount of time.
                        * Joe could have really laid a big number on them but took the classy approach. That 24 point lead with 7 minutes left likely could have reached 35-38 points had they kept playing. At the end they were letting the shot clock go and not taking a shot.
                        * Danielak started 0-5 but found a rythem and showed some aggressive play. It was nice to see.
                        * I'd love to have Cal's center (Tony Richardson) off the bench. They are by default playing him way too many minutes and he gets terribly winded as the game goes on and becomes ineffective, but on a team like IUP if he'd play in short stints he'd be a beast. He had a strong first half last night but just wore out.
                        * Glover went for 20 points ... just the quiet assassin.
                        * There was a lot of the normal stuff last night ... rushing things, wild passes, etc., but they were masked due to the opponent.

The trip to Clarion is next. It was a wild one up there in a blizzard last year with IUP escaping with a come-from-behind, 68-67, win. Clarion is struggling, losing 7-8 straight, and was blown out at home last night by Edinboro.

Edinboro, by the way, is the one team not to count out down the stretch. They should get in to the PSAC tournament and could be a real tough out. I know the record doesn't reflect it .. but that's a decent team that could be a real good team by then. Big 'if' but the talent is there. I thought they were one of the better teams I've seen in person this year. The record is baffling.
                        A lot of guys this year either slowly adjusting to being a new starter or entirely new to the team. I think they've had some guys just not performing. To me, the IUP game showed there's enough talent on that team to win a game with Mason underperforming.

Comment

I noticed in the box score that Clarion's center, Akeem Williams, didn't play last night. Anybody know why ... injured? He'd started all 16 games prior to last night and played nearly 32 mpg.

Side notes: Seton Hill lost to Cheyney last night ... yikes. Slippery Rock's free throw shooting cost them the game last night against UPJ. Gannon won its FIFTH overtime game of the season last night. That's an incredibly weird statistic. Good, but strange.

Comment

Joe is turning hair gray this year. My goodness. Every. Freaking. Night.
                            But ... they just win. Flair for the dramatic ... to the extreme.
                            You could pretty much say the same thing about Reilly's GU squad. Every game is a fight to the finish ... the five OT games in the past six is insane. And to win all five is off the charts!

Comment

A few notes on the IUP at Clarion game tomorrow:

* 3 p.m. tip-off -- rare afternoon game for IUP
                              * Per Clarion web site there will be a video feed
                              * IUP leads the all-time series, 110-58.
                              * IUP has won 11 of the past 12 meetings
                              * Clarion enters on an 8-game losing streak -- its last win came Dec. 10 against Bloomsburg
                              * Clarion has been a very good first half team but an awful team after the intermission. The bench is thin. Team can't overcome foul trouble. Played strong 20-30 minutes against West Liberty and Kutztown.
                              * Historically a strong team in Tippin Gymnasium
                              * Clarion's been outrebounded, on average, 38-35, this season and is giving up about 82 ppg while scoring 73 ppg.
                              * Starting center Akeem Williams missed last game. No word on his status tomorrow
                              * IUP won last year's meeting in Tippin, 68-67, in front of a very large (loud) crowd (by Clarion standards).

Comment

He signed a one year extension yesterday, but what are the chances that if Andy Toole leaves RMU that Joe Lombardi heads that way? Yesterday they also unveiled their new arena.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X