Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Iup basketball

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Kentucky and Pitt aren't in the same stratosphere. Pitt is a glorified D2 program now and the oast 2 years.
    But I didn't say they were. We need to give Capel a chance here and not link him to the past two years of the Stullings era. They are currently 5-0 right now---yes, playing tomato cans as you aptly describe them. I agree with that. But go back and look at last season' schedule and see that Pitt was barely even able to win games against those types of teams. Capel has done a nice job of bringing in some good backcourt and one wing-type into the fold. The bangers in the paint need to be the next priority. Word is Capel has been burning the midnight oil in trying to get some good ones. Stay tuned for that.

ACC play will likely not be very pretty for Pitt this year unfortunately. But they are building.

-

Comment

Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
      Yes, thank you. Everyone needs to understand that Kentucky was merely "sparring" with IUP in an exhibition. You were not getting all-out and full-out Kentucky.

A team like the Wildcats that is stocked full of McDonald's All-Americans would blow past IUP by at least 40 in an actual game that they were really playing.

But I guess maybe Kentucky is down a little this year thus far from where they normally are. Or maybe Duke is just really ahead of the curve this season.

-

If you think they were sparring I'd suggest watching the game. Having a D2 team make treys rain on you and putting on a dunk show in Rupp Arena wasn't part of the plans. Calipari himself said Cobo would start for the majority of teams in the SEC.

This wasn't about the Duke and Kentucky level. Those are NBA teams. I'm talking more about the lower and mid-level D1 teams -- and the basement P5 teams like Pitt, etc.

Elite D2 teams can play with them and will beat them occasionally. That gap is far smaller than most think. You wouldn't see a Duquesne type D1 schedule an IUP or West Liberty in a million years.

Comment

• Comment

Dustin Sleva would have started every game at Pitt last year. Cobo would start there tomorrow.
          I remember going into last season, people thought IUP needed another big recruit or transfer. I thought keeping Cobo was the biggest roster add. I'm not sure if he had offers to leave and think he likes it at IUP, but I'd be very surprised if someone didn't try to poach him for his last two years of eligibility. A year of practicing as a redshirt at a mid-major or Atlantic 10 school would be huge. 6-9 guys with fundamentals, an inside-outside game and can play the 3, 4 or 5 don't just fall off trees (or end up at D-2 programs often).

Comment

Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
            But I didn't say they were. We need to give Capel a chance here and not link him to the past two years of the Stullings era. They are currently 5-0 right now---yes, playing tomato cans as you aptly describe them. I agree with that. But go back and look at last season' schedule and see that Pitt was barely even able to win games against those types of teams. Capel has done a nice job of bringing in some good backcourt and one wing-type into the fold. The bangers in the paint need to be the next priority. Word is Capel has been burning the midnight oil in trying to get some good ones. Stay tuned for that.

ACC play will likely not be very pretty for Pitt this year unfortunately. But they are building.

-

Comment

So since D3 Westminster hung with DII IUP (by making treys rain on them) and DII IUP hung with Kentucky (by making treys rain on them) AND the latter is proof that IUP would beat Pitt, does that equally mean that D3 Westminster would be able to hang with Pitt? At what relative "level" would Westminster start beating PSAC teams? #2? #3? #4?...

Since SUNY-Genesco beat Westminster, could they beat IUP???

Comment

Just like the Mt. Union argument in football.

Pitt may beat IUP but there's zero chance it's not going down to the final five minutes.

Ferris State would have blown Pitt out of the building last year.

I'm a Pitt fan ... had basketball season tickets for years. They are now just much closer to D2 than the ACC.

Comment

Pitt may beat IUP but there's zero chance it's not going down to the final five minutes.

I'm a Pitt fan ... had basketball season tickets for years. They are now just much closer to D2 than the ACC.

Comment

Rhodes and Porterfield both signed. Twitter official from IUP.

Comment

Originally posted by hawks16 View Post
                      I remember going into last season, people thought IUP needed another big recruit or transfer. I thought keeping Cobo was the biggest roster add. I'm not sure if he had offers to leave and think he likes it at IUP, but I'd be very surprised if someone didn't try to poach him for his last two years of eligibility. A year of practicing as a redshirt at a mid-major or Atlantic 10 school would be huge. 6-9 guys with fundamentals, an inside-outside game and can play the 3, 4 or 5 don't just fall off trees (or end up at D-2 programs often).
                      Look at Zach Hankins. He left Ferris State after last season and is now starting for Xavier -- a very strong D1 program.

Comment

I think fans of DII often over rate the relative abilities of DII as compared to D1. I envision on some D3 message board somewhere there is a fan of D3 Nebraska Wesleyan saying oh yea, we could blow the doors off of Pittsburgh State!! And quite possibly there is a fan of Plattsburgh State saying they would be able to get to the last five minutes tied with IUP.

Comment

Look at Zach Hankins. He left Ferris State after last season and is now starting for Xavier -- a very strong D1 program.
                          OK...If you have a DII team made up of FIVE DII Players of the Year, like Hankins, I'll say that team could hang with a P5 D1. But I know of no team that has five DII Players of the Year on their roster.

FYI...Xavier was picked 6th in the Big East this year after finishing first last year. They stand 2-2 on the year after absorbing two losses to basketball powerhouses Wisconsin and Auburn...They did, however, beat an IUP...that being IUPUI.

Comment

Pitt almost lost to North Alabama a couple days ago. PITT BLOWS!!!

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                              OK...If you have a DII team made up of FIVE DII Players of the Year, like Hankins, I'll say that team could hang with a P5 D1. But I know of no team that has five DII Players of the Year on their roster.

FYI...Xavier was picked 6th in the Big East this year after finishing first last year. They stand 2-2 on the year after absorbing two losses to basketball powerhouses Wisconsin and Auburn...They did, however, beat an IUP...that being IUPUI.

Comment

May not be a coincidence Westminster scored more on IUP than Concord, Virginia State or Bowie could.

I don't want to hear the not trying b.s. either. I saw it live. Joe didn't pull off until the final two minutes. IUP's bench came in and hit three straight treys to get it up to 30 points.

Westminster's PG could start for just about any PSAC team. The shooting guard that smoked IUP last night would be in the rotation here.

They'd be a .500 team in D2.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X