Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post
    I think in the last few days it's been mentioned, but this team should be locked in on hosting a regional. It's right there.
    If you would have been there last night ... trust me this is 'one day at a time' mode right now.

Two more games and they should get Chucky back.

We were lucky we had Clarion last night. They won't beat good teams with Chucky out and Ethan sitting all night.

Seton Hill at home on Wednesday and a tough trip to Mercyhurst on Saturday ... luckily the Lakers are reeling a bit right now.

Hate the phrase but ... 'one game at a time' ...

Comment

I think in the last few days it's been mentioned, but this team should be locked in on hosting a regional. It's right there.
      Still early but what does IUP do if it finishes in the top seed for both men and women? Can they host both? Again still early but certainly a possibility.

Comment

• Originally posted by Golden89 View Post

Still early but what does IUP do if it finishes in the top seed for both men and women? Can they host both? Again still early but certainly a possibility.
        It just about happened last year.

Either the men or women would play in the Field House on Saturday. I'd guess they'd move the ladies as the men draw much better.

They could play all four games in the KCAC on Sunday. Tueday night would then be a doubleheader.

But, yeah ... while possible it's way premature.

One more even minor injury and Joe's going to have a Help Wanted sign on Wayne Ave.
        Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 01-28-2020, 06:55 PM.

Comment

• The pest from Greensburg visits the KCAC tonight. Oddly, this series has had some heated moments over the past 5-6 years.

Recall Seton Hill's first and only every win against IUP back on Feb. 24, 2016. What's laughable looking back at that game is the official box score says there were only 275 people in the McKenna Center that night. I was there. That number is missing a zero. There wasn't a seat in the building or anywhere to stand. Seton Hill had fans dancing under the basket during foul shots. Joe walked in to a full-blown hornets' nest that night -- and eventually received a dagger of a technical foul with about 90 seconds remaining. Seton Hill went on to win, 91-83 - essentially knocking IUP out of the NCAA Tournament. I still believe to this day the technical cost IUP the game. The Hawks won their Round 1 game against UPJ in the PSAC Tournament before falling 90-89 in OT at West Chester via a miracle last second shot.

Fast forward two years and the late season trip to Greensburg cost IUP yet another NCAA bid. The Hawks won this time, 65-64, but the damage was done. This was the game Seton Hill 'gooned it up' and Anthony Glover ended up getting two technicals and ejected (and suspended for IUP's first game of the PSAC Tournament). Dante Lombardi also went down via a cheap shot and broke his wrist. For Glover's career to end that way was a travesty. His second technical was a reaction -- which was called by a stooge ref from at least 50' away.

Much has changed since those two games. Tony "Tark the Shark" Morocco has retired. Kendrick Saunders' teams play with much more class. Saunders seems to being doing a total rebuild from the ground up. Morocco's teams often played dirty (also reference the brawl at West Chester) but he did have a lot of talent during the latter years of his tenure. His teams routinely underachieved.

One year Joe called Seton Hill's gym worse than Indiana High Schools in the Indiana Gazette. The Seton Hill announcers still mention that every year. He's not wrong. It's a yellow shoebox. But, on the rare occasion it's packed a juiced up, it's very difficult for visitors. The somewhat budding rivalry seems to have ended with the Shark's retirement. But, it sure had its moments.

Comment

• Originally posted by Golden89 View Post

When that happens (as it did in the South Central region last year), the team splits hosting duties for both. They host the 1-8-4-5 half of both regionals, while the #2 seeds host the other halves. The first two rounds are moved up a day to allow a travel day for the regional finals, which are both hosted by the highest seed remaining even if that team didn't host the first two rounds.

Here's how that looked last year:

Friday, March 15

at West Texas A&M
            (W) 4 Angelo State vs. 5 Westminster (UT), 12:00 CT
            (W) 1 West Texas A&M vs. 8 Eastern New Mexico, 2:30 CT
            (M) 1 West Texas A&M vs. 8 New Mexico Highlands, 5:00 CT
            (M) 4 Texas A&M Commerce vs. 5 Dallas Baptist, 7:30 CT

at St. Edward's
            (M) 2 St. Edward's vs. 7 Angelo State, 5:00 CT
            (M) 3 Colorado Mines vs. 6 Lubbock Christian, 7:30 CT

at Colorado Mesa
            (W) 2 Colorado Mesa vs. 7 Texas A&M Commerce, 6:00 MT
            (W) 3 Lubbock Christian vs. 6 Tarleton State, 8:30 MT

Saturday, March 16

at West Texas A&M
            (W) 1 West Texas A&M vs. 4 Angelo State, 5:00 CT
            (M) 1 West Texas A&M vs. 4 Texas A&M Commerce, 7:30 CT

at St. Edward's
            (M) 2 St. Edward's vs. 6 Lubbock Christian, 6:00 CT

at Colorado Mesa
            (W) 2 Colorado Mesa vs. 3 Lubbock Christian, 7:00 MT

Tuesday, March 19

at West Texas A&M
            (M) 1 West Texas A&M vs. 2 St. Edward's, 7:00 CT

at Lubbock Christian
            (W) 3 Lubbock Christian vs. 4 Angelo State, 8:00 CT

Comment

• Originally posted by Inkblot View Post

When that happens (as it did in the South Central region last year), the team splits hosting duties for both. They host the 1-8-4-5 half of both regionals, while the #2 seeds host the other halves. The first two rounds are moved up a day to allow a travel day for the regional finals, which are both hosted by the highest seed remaining even if that team didn't host the first two rounds.

Friday, March 15

at West Texas A&M

at St. Edward's

at Colorado Mesa

Saturday, March 16

at West Texas A&M

at St. Edward's

at Colorado Mesa

Tuesday, March 19

at West Texas A&M

at Lubbock Christian

Is that written in stone or was it due to circumstance? IUP could feasibly host both ... it has the facilities and hotel accommodations.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Is that written in stone or was it due to circumstance? IUP could feasibly host both ... it has the facilities and hotel accommodations.
                It had never happened before last year, so they had to improvise, but now it's been written into the manual.

Comment

• Interesting. This makes WLU, Charleston, & Ship HUGE fans of the IUP women all of a sudden. Whomever gets the #2 seed stands to get a home game or two in the tourney if the IUP women come through!

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                    The pest from Greensburg visits the KCAC tonight. Oddly, this series has had some heated moments over the past 5-6 years.

Recall Seton Hill's first and only every win against IUP back on Feb. 24, 2016. What's laughable looking back at that game is the official box score says there were only 275 people in the McKenna Center that night. I was there. That number is missing a zero. There wasn't a seat in the building or anywhere to stand. Seton Hill had fans dancing under the basket during foul shots. Joe walked in to a full-blown hornets' nest that night -- and eventually received a dagger of a technical foul with about 90 seconds remaining. Seton Hill went on to win, 91-83 - essentially knocking IUP out of the NCAA Tournament. I still believe to this day the technical cost IUP the game. The Hawks won their Round 1 game against UPJ in the PSAC Tournament before falling 90-89 in OT at West Chester via a miracle last second shot.

Fast forward two years and the late season trip to Greensburg cost IUP yet another NCAA bid. The Hawks won this time, 65-64, but the damage was done. This was the game Seton Hill 'gooned it up' and Anthony Glover ended up getting two technicals and ejected (and suspended for IUP's first game of the PSAC Tournament). Dante Lombardi also went down via a cheap shot and broke his wrist. For Glover's career to end that way was a travesty. His second technical was a reaction -- which was called by a stooge ref from at least 50' away.

Much has changed since those two games. Tony "Tark the Shark" Morocco has retired. Kendrick Saunders' teams play with much more class. Saunders seems to being doing a total rebuild from the ground up. Morocco's teams often played dirty (also reference the brawl at West Chester) but he did have a lot of talent during the latter years of his tenure. His teams routinely underachieved.

One year Joe called Seton Hill's gym worse than Indiana High Schools in the Indiana Gazette. The Seton Hill announcers still mention that every year. He's not wrong. It's a yellow shoebox. But, on the rare occasion it's packed a juiced up, it's very difficult for visitors. The somewhat budding rivalry seems to have ended with the Shark's retirement. But, it sure had its moments.
                    Lol. I remember both of those games. I recall that it was actually the football team dancing under the basket that night. They had that really old school set up where there's a stage built into the gym. In your memory, is that the craziest environment that Joe has ever played in?

I remember being at a game up at SRU my junior year when IUP went up there and clinched the PSAC West. That place was pretty charged up. Tight game that IUP opened up in the last 8 minutes. I also remember being in the ASRC when IUP beat WL in the regional final. That was an electric atmosphere. IUP brought a great crowd down to that game. The ones who came were very loud too.

Comment

It had never happened before last year, so they had to improvise, but now it's been written into the manual.
                      You know what's absolutely hilarious? For an organization that has overhauled their entire D2 playoff system merely to save cost on travel they will effectively ADD travel costs if they actually were to go through with this again.

Comment

You know what's absolutely hilarious? For an organization that has overhauled their entire D2 playoff system merely to save cost on travel they will effectively ADD travel costs if they actually were to go through with this again.
                        How does this add travel costs?

Comment

Friday, March 15

at West Texas A&M

at St. Edward's

at Colorado Mesa

Saturday, March 16

at West Texas A&M

at St. Edward's

at Colorado Mesa

Tuesday, March 19

at West Texas A&M

at Lubbock Christian
                          I kinda like this. Guards against regional finals in a mostly empty gym if the top seed gets knocked out early.

Comment

Lol. I remember both of those games. I recall that it was actually the football team dancing under the basket that night. They had that really old school set up where there's a stage built into the gym. In your memory, is that the craziest environment that Joe has ever played in?

I remember being at a game up at SRU my junior year when IUP went up there and clinched the PSAC West. That place was pretty charged up. Tight game that IUP opened up in the last 8 minutes. I also remember being in the ASRC when IUP beat WL in the regional final. That was an electric atmosphere. IUP brought a great crowd down to that game. The ones who came were very loud too.
                            Although we lost that night ... Top 5 D2 atmosphere I've ever seen. So odd. Like a freaking flash mob.

Comment

How does this add travel costs?
                              I'm not sure how it wouldn't. By the way you explain it at least. You are theoretically always going to be putting 2 teams back on the road to play a game. What if the 1 and 2 seeds aren't close? IUP, Ship, and WLU are all in the mix to potentially host. All are fairly close.

What if, hypothetically, Gannon was the top seed in the men's and women's bracket and hosted. For a lack of confusion, we'll only run with the men's side and say that Fayetteville State was the 2 seed... 2-7 and 3-6 go to North Carolina while 1-8 and 4-5 go to Erie. You put 6 teams on the road to begin with. So that's 6 instead of 7 teams traveling. I can get with that. But then, let's say that the fourth seed, East Stroudsburg, comes out of the 2nd round and has to play Gannon in the regional final. I'm not sure how travel costs were reduced in that scenario.

East Stroud, a team from northeast PA, would drive to North Carolina for two games. After that, they would then spend another full day on a bus driving to the northwest corner of the state. That makes absolutely zero sense to me.

You did yeoman's work during football season evaluating travel items as it pertains to mileage, flights, etc. I'm not concerned about that. I'm looking at it from the standpoint of efficiencies of travel. The travel plan that I just laid out should never have to happen. This opens the door for that to happen. I just don't agree.

If a university has the infrastructure, facilities, and accommodations to host both, they should host both. I don't know how everything gets split financially, but I feel like that impacts the amount of revenue a school could generate from the event.

Comment

I'm not sure how it wouldn't. By the way you explain it at least. You are theoretically always going to be putting 2 teams back on the road to play a game. What if the 1 and 2 seeds aren't close? IUP, Ship, and WLU are all in the mix to potentially host. All are fairly close.

What if, hypothetically, Gannon was the top seed in the men's and women's bracket and hosted. For a lack of confusion, we'll only run with the men's side and say that Fayetteville State was the 2 seed... 2-7 and 3-6 go to North Carolina while 1-8 and 4-5 go to Erie. You put 6 teams on the road to begin with. So that's 6 instead of 7 teams traveling. I can get with that. But then, let's say that the fourth seed, East Stroudsburg, comes out of the 2nd round and has to play Gannon in the regional final. I'm not sure how travel costs were reduced in that scenario.

East Stroud, a team from northeast PA, would drive to North Carolina for two games. After that, they would then spend another full day on a bus driving to the northwest corner of the state. That makes absolutely zero sense to me.

You did yeoman's work during football season evaluating travel items as it pertains to mileage, flights, etc. I'm not concerned about that. I'm looking at it from the standpoint of efficiencies of travel. The travel plan that I just laid out should never have to happen. This opens the door for that to happen. I just don't agree.

If a university has the infrastructure, facilities, and accommodations to host both, they should host both. I don't know how everything gets split financially, but I feel like that impacts the amount of revenue a school could generate from the event.
                                It seems like it balances out.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X