X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small crowd tonight. Not good.

Comment

• IUP up 10 at half, 38-28.

Easily should be up 20. Way to cute at end of half.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
        Small crowd tonight. Not good.
        Home side is jammed. You can't see it on camera.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Home side is jammed. You can't see it on camera.
          Last two minutes of that half were a joke! Joe may kill some of them. Instead of the dagger they went full show off.

Comment

• That 94 ppg avg ....

Yeah not so much.

Comment

• IUP 76
              Bowie State 55

Final

Comment

Small crowd tonight. Not good.
                2,329 announced gate.

Comment

2,329 announced gate.
                  I thought it was a good crowd numbers wise and the student section was full, but it was quiet for the most part. A lot of students left at halftime. I’m not sure everyone is in the basketball mindset yet.

Seeing the Hawks in person all I can say is, wow! They were far from perfect and that 6-8 minute stretch early in the second half was messy, but when it was still a competitive game and they were playing together they looked outstanding. Tomiwa is an absolute beast. Bowie had some size height wise, but they had no chance of handling him. Dallas looks a little bigger and I think he’s going to be a force this year, especially on defense. David and Ethan are who we know they are so all good there. My lone concern is Shawndale trying to do too much on his own. There were times he didn’t make passes to guys that were wide open when he drove to the hoop and he opted to force shots. He’s a beast, but what got them that fancy trophy they showed off tonight was outstanding teamwork. They’ll need that again.

Kyle was good and I can already see he’s going to be better than last year. KJ should provide some solid minutes, but I think Damir and Jaheim have to catch up to the speed of the game. They both kind of reminded me of how Dallas looked when he entered the scene last year. If they can come along like he did, that would be outstanding. Overall this is a team with some depth and it showed tonight. Defensively, they were lights out when they wanted to be. They made a very good Bowie team look like an average group.

Comment

• Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

I thought it was a good crowd numbers wise and the student section was full, but it was quiet for the most part. A lot of students left at halftime. I’m not sure everyone is in the basketball mindset yet.

Seeing the Hawks in person all I can say is, wow! They were far from perfect and that 6-8 minute stretch early in the second half was messy, but when it was still a competitive game and they were playing together they looked outstanding. Tomiwa is an absolute beast. Bowie had some size height wise, but they had no chance of handling him. Dallas looks a little bigger and I think he’s going to be a force this year, especially on defense. David and Ethan are who we know they are so all good there. My lone concern is Shawndale trying to do too much on his own. There were times he didn’t make passes to guys that were wide open when he drove to the hoop and he opted to force shots. He’s a beast, but what got them that fancy trophy they showed off tonight was outstanding teamwork. They’ll need that again.

Kyle was good and I can already see he’s going to be better than last year. KJ should provide some solid minutes, but I think Damir and Jaheim have to catch up to the speed of the game. They both kind of reminded me of how Dallas looked when he entered the scene last year. If they can come along like he did, that would be outstanding. Overall this is a team with some depth and it showed tonight. Defensively, they were lights out when they wanted to be. They made a very good Bowie team look like an average group.
                    Don't forget Diop returns in a couple more games. He won't play a ton but he can be very useful. Joe played 9 tonight when the game was still a game. Very rare. He's got a deep team.

That one stretch he played David, Shawndale, Dallis, Bethea and Tomiwa. Bowie had no chance during that run.

Brooks is going to come on strong in a couple more games. He's looked better in each game.

I was surprised the Seton Hill transfer redshirted but you can see why. There's not enough minutes to burn a year. Nice to have in reserve, however. He did score 21 on Joe last year.

As a whole, they looked much better tonight than against Winston-Salem. They pi$$ed around for the crowd the final 3 minutes of the first half. Instead of going into the break up 20-22 it was just 10. I'm sure they got a nice earful.

Quite a difference when Tomiwa isn't in foul trouble. He's a monster.

Comment

• Nice game other than a few spurts of showing off.

Tomiwa being on the floor is key. He's such a difference maker.

Be patient with Brooks and Bethea. They have talent and remember they are only freshman on that floor.

David had 5 TO's but I'd bet 3 of those were trying to show off/fast breaks stuff that wasn't needed.

Yes, at times Shawndale is trying to do to much. If you notice though, he's only done it when they are way up. It is his senior year and I'm sure he wants to be remembered.

Can't wait for Ethan to be fully healthy.

Did anyone else notice the line up of Dallis, Polce, Bethea, KJ and Brooks at one point in the second half? (Maybe around 8 minute mark)

Comment

Nice game other than a few spurts of showing off.

Tomiwa being on the floor is key. He's such a difference maker.

Be patient with Brooks and Bethea. They have talent and remember they are only freshman on that floor.

David had 5 TO's but I'd bet 3 of those were trying to show off/fast breaks stuff that wasn't needed.

Yes, at times Shawndale is trying to do to much. If you notice though, he's only done it when they are way up. It is his senior year and I'm sure he wants to be remembered.

Can't wait for Ethan to be fully healthy.

Did anyone else notice the line up of Dallis, Polce, Bethea, KJ and Brooks at one point in the second half? (Maybe around 8 minute mark)

Joe said after the game that Ethan is 'nowhere close' to 100 percent but he's improving. He also mentioned Shawndale isn't fully back to form yet but he's coming along pretty well.

They are going to be a pretty scary bunch here in a couple more weeks. We are seeing flashes of it now. Diop will also give them a very strong, big defender and rebounder off the bench.

Next two:

@ Walsh

New Haven

Comment

• Say your prayers, make sacrifices, do whatever it takes to appease the basketball injury gods. If this team stays healthy I can’t see them losing more than a game or two in the regular season, if that.

Comment

• Not sure how to read this Walsh game. On paper Walsh shouldn't match up with IUP but for some reason they win a lot of games.

Comment

Not sure how to read this Walsh game. On paper Walsh shouldn't match up with IUP but for some reason they win a lot of games.

Walsh enters with a 2-1 record (1-1 against D2).

They got beat up by Missouri-St. Louis (a team that just really has their number) in the opener (70-53) and then bounced back to take down Maryville, 72-61.

They have some familiar faces.

It's pretty clear everything starts with former California player Tim Smith Jr. (6'7", 205 lbs). He's basically a F/G who can shoot from deep. He plays with a lot emotion and a high motor.

Aiden Satterfield and Owen Hazelbaker are West Liberty exports.

This isn't a 'big' team like Winston-Salem or Bowie State -- nobody up in that 6'9" - 6'11" range.

They launch a lot of treys -- nearly 30 a game. For the season, they are hitting 28 percent. Of course, that could simply mean they are due (same with IUP which has been 'spotty' at best).

Aside from Smith Jr., their other top scorer (14 ppg) is Garrison Keeslar. He's another G/F combo. Nice size at 6'6" and 195 lbs.

So, they don't have the giants underneath like IUP has been seeing, but they play a lot of really big guards. They seem to really like the G/F hybrid types.

As you said, they win a lot of games. Walsh was 24-7 last year and made the NCAA Tournament.

One common opponent between IUP and Walsh last year was Hillsdale. Interestingly enough, both games were blowouts. They split, with each winning once convincingly.

Looking at their body of work the past couple years, they can be really on or really off.

IUP keys:

* Defense. Defense. Defense.
                              - Most teams aren't used to the pressure IUP brings -- contesting every shot, the size,etc.

* Survive (and prevent) the runs
                              - Make no mistake this game has been circled on their schedule

No doubt, this is a challenging non-conference road game. Joe is building a nice resume early-on. I think Concord, Winston-Salem and Bowie State are all three going to win a lot of games this year. Walsh is certainly a team with NCAA aspirations, too.

Comment

IUP keys:

* Defense. Defense. Defense.
                                - Most teams aren't used to the pressure IUP brings -- contesting every shot, the size,etc.
                                I think this will be the difference. We all saw what happened to Hillsdale when they ran into IUP’s defense, and I expect something very similar from Walsh. For them to stay in it, they’re certainly going to have to shoot better than 28 percent from three. IUP’s guards are excellent defenders and teams that rely a ton on their guards for points are going to struggle.

I think IUP wins by double digits and once again holds the opponent to well below their scoring average. There is the wildcard of playing on the road, not knowing how the game will be officiated, etc., so I’ll give Walsh a fighting chance.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X