Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welp….

What sucks is that High Level Division II Basketball as we know it is over. If playing in front of 2,000 people a night and winning 30 games isn’t enough, nothing will be.

Good luck to these coaching staffs now at the high level Division II programs- no idea how you are supposed to build a championship level team over a longer period of time if “higher level” teams can wait, let you evaluate the high school players and develop them, and then decide who they want to bring in for a year or two.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPHawks24 View Post
      Welp….

What sucks is that High Level Division II Basketball as we know it is over. If playing in front of 2,000 people a night and winning 30 games isn’t enough, nothing will be.

Good luck to these coaching staffs now at the high level Division II programs- no idea how you are supposed to build a championship level team over a longer period of time if “higher level” teams can wait, let you evaluate the high school players and develop them, and then decide who they want to bring in for a year or two.
      Well, he's not gone until he's actually gone. This could be a 'testing the waters' type thing. Although he's sure to get a lot of attention.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Well, he's not gone until he's actually gone. This could be a 'testing the waters' type thing. Although he's sure to get a lot of attention.
        Good point. But I’d be shocked if he’s playing in the KCAC next year.

My larger point is that Pandora’s box is now open. It’s not just the grad transfer situation (which I actually understand, and will phase out after next year once all the extra year COVID players exhaust their eligibility). Without the one year sit out, Division II turns into a farm system. And I think more people are waking up to how good the players are at this level as well. Tomiwa is a bit of a unicorn, but it wouldn’t shock me if he commanded NIL money somewhere. Division II can’t compete with that.
        Last edited by IUPHawks24; 03-22-2023, 01:35 PM.

Comment

My larger point is that Pandora’s box is now open. It’s not just the grad transfer situation (which I actually understand). Without the one year sit out, Division II turns into a farm system. And I think more people are waking up to how good the players are at this level as well. Tomiwa is a bit of a unicorn, but it wouldn’t shock me if he commanded NIL money somewhere. Division II can’t compete with that.
          Unfortunately you are correct. Armoni and Alston started this fad last year (within the PSAC) and I'm sure it will get much worse.

I'm sure that's why Bradley and Ajayi left Mercyhurst, too. Tabe is going from SH to some mid-major.

I'd surely assume these are also Bryce Butler's last game(s) at West Liberty.
          Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 03-22-2023, 01:36 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

Have you ever seen KJ shoot?
            Yes. Saw the rest of the team shoot too. With more opportunities, he may have wound up one of their better shooters, lol.

But, it’s not a pretty looking shot, I take your point.

Comment

• Tomiwa leaving was inevitable. Four years was never gonna happen. Three would’ve been nice, but oh well. Don’t get emotionally attached to the really good players.

Comment

Unfortunately you are correct. Armoni and Alston started this fad last year (within the PSAC) and I'm sure it will get much worse.

I'm sure that's why Bradley and Ajayi left Mercyhurst, too. Tabe is going from SH to some mid-major.

I'd surely assume these are also Bryce Butler's last game(s) at West Liberty.
                I was BLASTED for this last year. I said that, although I understood that Foster's situation was unique, it only took one to break the culture at IUP. And Foster was that one. Historically, Joe does a masterful job at keeping rosters intact and having a very low exit rate out of the program. I'm not saying this was never going to happen. But the program took a full year hiatus and did not lose a single player. And now they're likely going to lose 1-2 every year. Somebody had to be first, and now that door within the program is wide open.

Comment

My larger point is that Pandora’s box is now open. It’s not just the grad transfer situation (which I actually understand, and will phase out after next year once all the extra year COVID players exhaust their eligibility). Without the one year sit out, Division II turns into a farm system. And I think more people are waking up to how good the players are at this level as well. Tomiwa is a bit of a unicorn, but it wouldn’t shock me if he commanded NIL money somewhere. Division II can’t compete with that.
                  Broader discussion, but college sports as we once knew them are over. Not necessarily even talking about NIL. Christian McCaffery started the "opt out" trend for bowl games, which I don't necessarily care about. But then one of the Bosa brothers opted out of nearly the entire college season from a nagging injury in like 2018 or 2019. Then you saw the 2020 opt outs. And things have just effectively gotten worse from there.

I've long been against the proposed by many "pay for play" model. That said, I wonder if we ever reach this point if the NCAA had just agreed to universally pay players like 20k a year. Would that have ended it? Maybe, maybe not.

It's hard to understand what's important to the college player, in any sport, today. To IUPBigIndians' point, IUP is a national brand at the D2 level. They play in a D1 facility. They average over 2,000 fans a game. I have no idea who his suitors will be, but if ends up at a place like Buffalo (and I understand why Foster landed there), it's hard to convince me that he's in a better spot overall.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Norris View Post
                    Tomiwa leaving was inevitable. Four years was never gonna happen. Three would’ve been nice, but oh well. Don’t get emotionally attached to the really good players.
                    I don't know why it was inevitable. I had heard he absolutely loved IUP and had no intentions of leaving. So did somebody come in with a bag?

I was critical of Porterfield some this year, but boy, it sure worked out to IUP's benefit that he was not healthy. Because they'd be losing both of them likely.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

I don't know why it was inevitable. I had heard he absolutely loved IUP and had no intentions of leaving. So did somebody come in with a bag?

I was critical of Porterfield some this year, but boy, it sure worked out to IUP's benefit that he was not healthy. Because they'd be losing both of them likely.
                      Maybe I should’ve said it felt inevitable to me. With his body, skill set, and potential he was going to get a lot of attention. This is just where we are with college sports. I don’t know anything about him personally, but it was always hard for me to imagine he would stay.

With two years left, I think he could have some pretty big name suitors. I’ll be very surprised if he ends up somewhere like Buffalo.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Norris View Post

Maybe I should’ve said it felt inevitable to me. With his body, skill set, and potential he was going to get a lot of attention. This is just where we are with college sports. I don’t know anything about him personally, but it was always hard for me to imagine he would stay.

With two years left, I think he could have some pretty big name suitors. I’ll be very surprised if he ends up somewhere like Buffalo.
                        These are the current big name suitors: Towson, Bryant, Robert Morris and Chattanooga.

Comment

These are the current big name suitors: Towson, Bryant, Robert Morris and Chattanooga.
                          I'd rather go to the University of Clymer than attend Robert Morris.

Just remember ... Not all who enter the portal actually leave.

​​​​​

Granted, I too think he's going to attract some more high-profile names than he got in the first half hour yesterday. At best, decent mid-majors. Duke and UNC aren't going to come calling.

Comment

it’s been one day. I don’t think he’ll end up at a power 6, but I could see a decent Atlantic 10 program making a pitch, something along that level

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

Tomiwa is the biggest celebrity on this campus in the past 20 years.

A 6'6", ripped up star basketball player with a British accent. That dude has women following him around 24 hours a day on that campus.

He and Lombardi may have butted heads a little bit. I'll leave it at that. Although, I didn't think it was to to point he'd leave over it (just for that reason).

Joe also coached the Regional Final as if he was terrified and word is not only were many players' parents furious with him but also many players vehemently did not agree with his strategy.

So, it could be a combination of a lot of things.

Comment

Tomiwa is the biggest celebrity on this campus in the past 20 years.

A 6'6", ripped up star basketball player with a British accent. That dude has women following him around 24 hours a day on that campus.

He and Lombardi may have butted heads a little bit. I'll leave it at that. Although, I didn't think it was to to point he'd leave over it (just for that reason).

Joe also coached the Regional Final as if he was terrified and word is not only were many players' parents furious with him but also many players vehemently did not agree with his strategy.

So, it could be a combination of a lot of things.
                                Interesting. As someone who is just a fan with below average basketball knowledge and zero inside info on the program, I thought something definitely seemed off about that whole night for sure.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X