Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tale of the Tape -- IUP vs Winston-Salem State

RECORD PPG PPG ALLOWED FG% 3PT% FT% RPG RBND MARG APG A TO T RATION STEALS BLOCKS TO
    IUP 30-1 75.2 59.9 .459 .334 .735 37.7 4.4 14.9 1.2 9.2 3.5 12.1
    WSSU 21-8 69.6 62.1 .448 .329 .676 34.6 4.3 11.9 0.9 6.9 2.3 13.8
    -

Observations from an IUP standpoint:

* Neither teams gives up many points. In fact, these are two of the lowest in the country in points allowed per game.

-- This is going to resemble an old school PSAC West game ... not the modern West games with lineups such as Cal, UPJ and Mercyhurst launching bombs from all over. I doubt either team cracks 70 points.

* Both teams defend the deep shot well. Opponents have shot just 32% against WSSU from beyond the arc and 29% against IUP

* WSSU has won its past 5 games -- and not scored more than 65 points in any of them. They are comfortable in grind-it-out affairs. The Rams knocked off Virginia Union in the CIAA Final Four, 45-44. If that isn't an old-school PSAC West score, I don't know what is.

* Injury-wise
    - IUP's Kyle Polce tweaked his ankle last Sunday in the PSAC Championship. He is expected to play.
    - WSSU's Isaac Parson (starting PG) broke his wrist in the CIAA Tournament and is out.

* Looking at WSSU losses: (3) were by (3) points or less

* All-Time Series: IUP leads 1-0 (67-50 win this year on a neutral floor at Clarion)

* These two teams were set to play in Round 1 of the Covid-cancelled Regional a couple years ago. WSSU made the trip to Indiana, practiced, and then, well, the world shut down.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
      Tale of the Tape -- IUP vs Winston-Salem State

RECORD PPG PPG ALLOWED FG% 3PT% FT% RPG RBND MARG APG A TO T RATION STEALS BLOCKS TO
      IUP 30-1 75.2 59.9 .459 .334 .735 37.7 4.4 14.9 1.2 9.2 3.5 12.1
      WSSU 21-8 69.6 62.1 .448 .329 .676 34.6 4.3 11.9 0.9 6.9 2.3 13.8
      -

Observations from an IUP standpoint:

* Neither teams gives up many points. In fact, these are two of the lowest in the country in points allowed per game.

-- This is going to resemble an old school PSAC West game ... not the modern West games with lineups such as Cal, UPJ and Mercyhurst launching bombs from all over. I doubt either team cracks 70 points.

* Both teams defend the deep shot well. Opponents have shot just 32% against WSSU from beyond the arc and 29% against IUP

* WSSU has won its past 5 games -- and not scored more than 65 points in any of them. They are comfortable in grind-it-out affairs. The Rams knocked off Virginia Union in the CIAA Final Four, 45-44. If that isn't an old-school PSAC West score, I don't know what is.

* Injury-wise
      - IUP's Kyle Polce tweaked his ankle last Sunday in the PSAC Championship. He is expected to play.
      - WSSU's Isaac Parson (starting PG) broke his wrist in the CIAA Tournament and is out.

* Looking at WSSU losses: (3) were by (3) points or less

* All-Time Series: IUP leads 1-0 (67-50 win this year on a neutral floor at Clarion)

* These two teams were set to play in Round 1 of the Covid-cancelled Regional a couple years ago. WSSU made the trip to Indiana, practiced, and then, well, the world shut down.
      This is definitely the classic Reilly vs Manchel slug fest. I'm going on a limb and saying which ever team gets to 45 first will win. This WSSU team is different than in November.

Advantage IUP due to home court. Other than that, it will be a dog fight.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

This is definitely the classic Reilly vs Manchel slug fest. I'm going on a limb and saying which ever team gets to 45 first will win. This WSSU team is different than in November.

Advantage IUP due to home court. Other than that, it will be a dog fight.
        Home court is certainly an advantage (especially with IUP's rabid fan base). But I suspect the PG's broken wrist may be the actual X factor here. You can't hope to succeed against IUP's relentless ball pressure with an untested ball-handler up top.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scrub View Post

Home court is certainly an advantage (especially with IUP's rabid fan base). But I suspect the PG's broken wrist may be the actual X factor here. You can't hope to succeed against IUP's relentless ball pressure with an untested ball-handler up top.
          The replacement PG is a senior that got a lot of minutes. May not be as big a factor as you think.

Comment

• Word is they've sold 'significantly' more tickets for tomorrow than they did through Friday for last year's Round 1.

I always wonder what the night game must be like. Tomorrow there will be in the neighborhood of 3,000 for the IUP game. It ends. Poof. Empty arena. That has to be strange to play in the big KCAC with 38 people in the stands.

BTW, they've again added that 'press row' across the court from the benches -- full length of the court. So, what is normally Row 1 is gone. The first (6) games last year had about 3 of the 40 chairs occupied in said Press Row. It was much more filled for the Final.

Comment

Word is they've sold 'significantly' more tickets for tomorrow than they did through Friday for last year's Round 1.

I always wonder what the night game must be like. Tomorrow there will be in the neighborhood of 3,000 for the IUP game. It ends. Poof. Empty arena. That has to be strange to play in the big KCAC with 38 people in the stands.

BTW, they've again added that 'press row' across the court from the benches -- full length of the court. So, what is normally Row 1 is gone. The first (6) games last year had about 3 of the 40 chairs occupied in said Press Row. It was much more filled for the Final.
              I just picked up tickets this afternoon for tomorrow only. I never buy further than that because if IUP loses I’ll feel like it was my fault, LOL.

Tomorrow is going to be fun. A lot of great basketball in the backyard and for $5 per game if you go to all four. Let’s hope IUP makes it to Tuesday to keep things hopping in Indiana for a while. An empty KCAC would be a sad sight. Thinking of that, there’s all the energy that the regionals bring and then when you get to Evansville it’s a completely different vibe. I’m not saying that as someone looking ahead. Regardless of who gets there it’s an odd feel as you’d expect the energy to be higher once you’re in the Elite 8. The final is usually pretty good but it can be pretty empty for the first couple rounds.

Comment

• Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

I just picked up tickets this afternoon for tomorrow only. I never buy further than that because if IUP loses I’ll feel like it was my fault, LOL.

Tomorrow is going to be fun. A lot of great basketball in the backyard and for $5 per game if you go to all four. Let’s hope IUP makes it to Tuesday to keep things hopping in Indiana for a while. An empty KCAC would be a sad sight. Thinking of that, there’s all the energy that the regionals bring and then when you get to Evansville it’s a completely different vibe. I’m not saying that as someone looking ahead. Regardless of who gets there it’s an odd feel as you’d expect the energy to be higher once you’re in the Elite 8. The final is usually pretty good but it can be pretty empty for the first couple rounds.
                I remember the first two games in the E8 in 14-15 against Azusa and Tarleton ... might have been 75 people at each game. Maybe more but in that big arena if felt so dull and empty. Seems like there were more when they beat Hillsdale last year.

Comment

• 2,687 announced gate. Lol what a joke.

Easy 3,500

Comment

• Virginia Union beats Fairmont.

Tomorrow will be similar to today. Buckle up.

Comment

Virginia Union beats Fairmont.

Tomorrow will be similar to today. Buckle up.
                      Yup. You guys are in for another CIAA slugfest. Should be a pretty good game I would guess.

Comment

• IUP is claiming last night was Joe’s 400th win even though his bio page on the website says he came into the season with 367 wins and last night was win 32. In any case, it’s quite the achievement to sit with a record of 400-107, a 79% win percentage, especially when you consider they went 19-36 in his first two seasons

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Norris View Post
                          IUP is claiming last night was Joe’s 400th win even though his bio page on the website says he came into the season with 367 wins and last night was win 32. In any case, it’s quite the achievement to sit with a record of 400-107, a 79% win percentage, especially when you consider they went 19-36 in his first two seasons
                          Well, when you're the new guy you often inherit a mess. Christ Fite's teams went 16-37 in his first two years at Ship, followed by six 20-plus win seasons that ended this year with a 19-11 overall mark.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Christ Fite's
                            Any relation to St. Crutch? ; )

Comment

• Elephant in the room but how Joe works his bench tonight is of the utmost importance.

Polce dressed Sunday (not Saturday). He wasn't playing much down the stretch but could be a good fit tonight (in spurts).

KJ will likely play 7-8 minutes.

Brooks makes things happen (and is faster and bigger) but see above.

Diop will remain the best 12th man in the country and inexplicably not play.

Dillard will be 6th man but play 27+

He has to sub tonight fairly often -- but it has to be very quick intervals.

I really like quick hits of Diop in this game but I know I'm talking to the wall.

Comment

Elephant in the room but how Joe works his bench tonight is of the utmost importance.

Polce dressed Sunday (not Saturday). He wasn't playing much down the stretch but could be a good fit tonight (in spurts).

KJ will likely play 7-8 minutes.

Brooks makes things happen (and is faster and bigger) but see above.

Diop will remain the best 12th man in the country and inexplicably not play.

Dillard will be 6th man but play 27+

He has to sub tonight fairly often -- but it has to be very quick intervals.

I really like quick hits of Diop in this game but I know I'm talking to the wall.
                                Was there ever a reason given for moving Dallis to 6th man that i missed? Is it related to his knee? Not that it matters much because he still plays a lot, but I’ve been wondering about it.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X