Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Chuck Norris View Post

I kinda started feeling bad for Petteno. He’s clearly playing out of position and, as Jack and Tony pointed out, he has no confidence shooting the ball. He got an offensive rebound at point blank range and tried putting it back in one motion and missed the rim completely.

Jaylen Stewart’s lack of improvement might be the biggest disappointment in a season that’s had a lot of them so far.
    Stewart has been a big disappointment. For him not to be in the game late when IUP needed ball handlers to get the ball up the floor spoke volumes. The look on his face while riding the pine spoke volumes. Once Radford suits up we might forget that Stewart is on the team. Other than his big night at UPJ last year, it’s hard to remember any consistent contribution. Petteno is right there with him. I like his effort but he has to hit at least 40% from long distance to keep him on the floor. He’s not even half that now. With the way Lambert is playing, I’d just roll with that dude and and give him some of Stewart’s and Petteno’s minutes. Of course, all that changes if Dallis’ injury is serious. I didn’t like the way he left the floor. Speaking of injuries, I thought Ethan looked as healthy as he’s been in a while. That’s a good sign going into the break.

It was an ugly win but a good one. I think it’s harder to play game two at home after winning the night before, especially against a lesser opponent. The ladies weren’t as good either, but gutted out a win. Bloom was motivated after the embarrassing performance the night before and even though it was a loss, probably played their best game. Those kids played really hard for 40 minutes.

Comment

• Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

Stewart has been a big disappointment. For him not to be in the game late when IUP needed ball handlers to get the ball up the floor spoke volumes. The look on his face while riding the pine spoke volumes. Once Radford suits up we might forget that Stewart is on the team. Other than his big night at UPJ last year, it’s hard to remember any consistent contribution. Petteno is right there with him. I like his effort but he has to hit at least 40% from long distance to keep him on the floor. He’s not even half that now. With the way Lambert is playing, I’d just roll with that dude and and give him some of Stewart’s and Petteno’s minutes. Of course, all that changes if Dallis’ injury is serious. I didn’t like the way he left the floor. Speaking of injuries, I thought Ethan looked as healthy as he’s been in a while. That’s a good sign going into the break.

It was an ugly win but a good one. I think it’s harder to play game two at home after winning the night before, especially against a lesser opponent. The ladies weren’t as good either, but gutted out a win. Bloom was motivated after the embarrassing performance the night before and even though it was a loss, probably played their best game. Those kids played really hard for 40 minutes.
      Dallis took quite the hit to the knee. He'll be sore for several days. Hopefully that is the extent of it. I don't think it was an ACL issue. I think he landed odd and then slammed it off the floor very hard.

BTW, far and away the worst zebra crew in the league last night. It went both ways. Those guys ruin the game. They must be so hard up for officials that they are just stuck with them.

Comment

• Joe talked about having too many players currently lacking confidence and thus playing too timid.

Josh Petteno was brought in to be a sharpshooter and can't shoot at all. He's been converted to a 6'4" forward (certainly for the first time in his career).

Jaylen Stewart has gone totally gun shy. The alleged best deep shooter on the team, btw.

Dolan Waldo has been demoted to final 40 seconds of a double digit win guy -- and replaced by a shooting guard turned forward and KJ.

To put the cherry on top of their confidence, Joe just brought a guy out of retirement to take their minutes.

​​​​​​That's three guys (Petteno, Stewart and Waldo) who were expected to be heavy contributors entering the season. After 10 games, two are essentially (at best) semi-benched, distant role players. The third was deported to Joe Island.

This just may become the new Island of Misfit Toys.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Dallis took quite the hit to the knee. He'll be sore for several days. Hopefully that is the extent of it. I don't think it was an ACL issue. I think he landed odd and then slammed it off the floor very hard.

BTW, far and away the worst zebra crew in the league last night. It went both ways. Those guys ruin the game. They must be so hard up for officials that they are just stuck with them.
          Officials were awful. Really bad in the women’s game too. I thought they were good in both games on Monday night, but different crews of course. That Incredible Hulk guy in the men’s game on Monday night…what a beast! Nobody argues with that dude, LOL.

Comment

Joe talked about having too many players currently lacking confidence and thus playing too timid.

Josh Petteno was brought in to be a sharpshooter and can't shoot at all. He's been converted to a 6'4" forward (certainly for the first time in his career).

Jaylen Stewart has gone totally gun shy. The alleged best deep shooter on the team, btw.

Dolan Waldo has been demoted to final 40 seconds of a double digit win guy -- and replaced by a shooting guard turned forward and KJ.

To put the cherry on top of their confidence, Joe just brought a guy out of retirement to take their minutes.

​​​​​​That's three guys (Petteno, Stewart and Waldo) who were expected to be heavy contributors entering the season. After 10 games, two are essentially (at best) semi-benched, distant role players. The third was deported to Joe Island.

This just may become the new Island of Misfit Toys.
            They’ve got three studs, assuming Dallis will be ok, a very good role player in Brooks and then it’s just a mish-mash of guys after that. I don’t think Joe has any idea what he might get from guys 5-10 on any given night or who fits into what role. The freshman walk on seems like the most sure thing at this point. Like I said before, it’s a strange team. It’ll be interesting to see if Joe eventually does whittle down to 7 or 8 like usual or if he just has to keep mixing and matching all season.

Comment

• The fun in th sun for this team is over. Yes, IUP has reeled off 6 straight wins. But, keep in mind, those teams have a combined record of 14-34 (that's not counting Point Park's record).

During this winning streak, IUP has defeated Frostburg State (1-10), Shippensburg (4-5), Lock Haven (4-5), Point Park, Mansfield (3-6) and Bloomsburg (2-8). Granted, Point Park, despite being NAIA, may be the best team of that bunch. IUP also didn't exactly dominate any of these teams.

IUP is currently 0-3 against teams with winning records (Concord, St. Thomas Aquainas and Walsh). IUP did defeat .500 Notre Dame College (5-5).

The next four games -- whole different ball game.

IUP travels to East Stroudsburg on Dec. 30, followed by home games against Shepherd and Mercyhurst. IUP then makes the trip to Gannon. The Hawks will be underdogs in both of those road games.

We're going to learn a whole lot in these next four games.

Comment

• Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post

I thought Bloom definitely tried to muddy things up and really turned up the physicality. They were on the boarder of what I'd call 'gooning' it up.

Their one guard in particular probably should have got T'd up twice.

They didn't look like a 2-8 team last night. Of course, IUP had a lot to do with that.

Truth be told I've seen that same movie 80 times under Joe's watch. His teams love to let teams linger and hang around. Next thing you know they have hope and start playing above their level.

This new team has to realize every team that comes in to the KCAC is going to go full throttle. Playing in that building is a big deal and every team gets sky high to try and beat IUP. Being this team isn't very good, they REALLY have to be ready.
                Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 12-20-2023, 12:00 PM.

Comment

I thought Bloom definitely tried to muddy things up and really turned up the physicality. They were on the boarder of what I'd call 'gooning' it up.

They didn't look like a 2-8 team last night. Of course, IUP had a lot to do with that.
                  If you are referring to #23 Gordon he is a Penn State transfer https://gopsusports.com/sports/mens-...j-gordon/10850 Ended up at Jacksonville State and now Bloom. He has obviously had some issues; fouled out a few games and been ejected. 25 fouls in 134 minutes of playing 7 games. I didn't see the goonies yesterday from anyone else.

Bloom loses to UPJ by 31 and UPJ loses to ESU by 49. Good luck. Bloom is going to need a coaching change soon.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bart View Post

If you are referring to #23 Gordon he is a Penn State transfer https://gopsusports.com/sports/mens-...j-gordon/10850 Ended up at Jacksonville State and now Bloom. He has obviously had some issues; fouled out a few games and been ejected. 25 fouls in 134 minutes of playing 7 games. I didn't see the goonies yesterday from anyone else.

Bloom loses to UPJ by 31 and UPJ loses to ESU by 49. Good luck. Bloom is going to need a coaching change soon.
                    UPJ can't play any team like ESU. They get slaughtered. They have no size and dress like 8 players. It's a total mismatch. UPJ will be much more competitive against your normal slow-paced, half court PSAC teams. When teams play them in a slow-paced game, they can pass the ball around 30 times and set up their backdoors and picket fences. Drives me nuts twice a year when IUP plays them at their own game instead of just putting the hammer down.

Gannon may beat UPJ by 80 this year.

Comment

Truth be told I've seen that same movie 80 times under Joe's watch. His teams love to let teams linger and hang around. Next thing you know they have hope and start playing above their level.

This new team has to realize every team that comes in to the KCAC is going to go full throttle. Playing in that building is a big deal and every team gets sky high to try and beat IUP. Being this team isn't very good, they REALLY have to be ready.
                      Agreed. I worry that the challenge IUP is going to have with that exact statement moving forward, is this...

The lesser or middle of the road teams within the PSAC will likely keep more players than the top dogs (IUP, Mercyhurst, East Stroud, etc.) for longer. IUP will continue to get guys who are low end D1 players who will ultimately transfer after 1-2 seasons. I firmly believe that's IUP's new reality... A revolving door. That's not to say that they won't get talented players, but don't get attached, because they won't be here long. The Ethan Porterfield, program guys, of this era are going to be extremely rare at IUP anymore - or anywhere for that matter. But the guys who you see at Lock Haven, Bloom, etc., likely aren't always transferring in and out. They'll stick around and keep getting energized to play in "The Garden" of D2 basketball, as Joe once referred to it as. They'll get energized and get up to play the storied program of the league.

You have those factors and then you'll have a starting 5 trotting out of one high school recruit and 3-4 transfers all in their first year with the program. Joe's program, and success, has always been built on the basis of culture, consistency, and a family environment. He always got guys to buy into the program over a long period of time who really cared about the culture of the program and each other. I'm not sure you can continually do that when you have such a revolving door. And as such, I don't think these guys who do not have the long term connection to the program understand or recognize just how bad people in the other locker room want to beat them. It's going to be hard to match that energy nightly.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

Agreed. I worry that the challenge IUP is going to have with that exact statement moving forward, is this...

The lesser or middle of the road teams within the PSAC will likely keep more players than the top dogs (IUP, Mercyhurst, East Stroud, etc.) for longer. IUP will continue to get guys who are low end D1 players who will ultimately transfer after 1-2 seasons. I firmly believe that's IUP's new reality... A revolving door. That's not to say that they won't get talented players, but don't get attached, because they won't be here long. The Ethan Porterfield, program guys, of this era are going to be extremely rare at IUP anymore - or anywhere for that matter. But the guys who you see at Lock Haven, Bloom, etc., likely aren't always transferring in and out. They'll stick around and keep getting energized to play in "The Garden" of D2 basketball, as Joe once referred to it as. They'll get energized and get up to play the storied program of the league.

You have those factors and then you'll have a starting 5 trotting out of one high school recruit and 3-4 transfers all in their first year with the program. Joe's program, and success, has always been built on the basis of culture, consistency, and a family environment. He always got guys to buy into the program over a long period of time who really cared about the culture of the program and each other. I'm not sure you can continually do that when you have such a revolving door. And as such, I don't think these guys who do not have the long term connection to the program understand or recognize just how bad people in the other locker room want to beat them. It's going to be hard to match that energy nightly.

I watched for years and years visiting teams being defeated in warm-ups inside the KCAC. It wasn't just that IUP was very strong but it was the atmosphere and the big crowd. Most teams in the Atlantic play in 1970s gyms in front of 175 people. They'd come to Indiana on a Saturday night and be in shock.

Unfortunately, that KCAC 'magic' his died a little bit (a lot, actually). The move to mostly 3 p.m. Saturday games, atmosphere-wise, has been an absolute killer. The crowds are smaller and much more mild.

The exclusive Satuday night game was an IUP staple dating back to the mid-90s. It's something they need to bring back ASAP. We already have one miserable atmosphere across the parking lot. No need for another one.

Comment

I watched for years and years visiting teams being defeated in warm-ups inside the KCAC. It wasn't just that IUP was very strong but it was the atmosphere and the big crowd. Most teams in the Atlantic play in 1970s gyms in front of 175 people. They'd come to Indiana on a Saturday night and be in shock.

Unfortunately, that KCAC 'magic' his died a little bit (a lot, actually). The move to mostly 3 p.m. Saturday games, atmosphere-wise, has been an absolute killer. The crowds are smaller and much more mild.

The exclusive Satuday night game was an IUP staple dating back to the mid-90s. It's something they need to bring back ASAP. We already have one miserable atmosphere across the parking lot. No need for another one.
                          IUP had some good teams before the KCAC. Last night's game had Bloom announcer calling it quieter than a funeral home.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bart View Post

IUP had some good teams before the KCAC. Last night's game had Bloom announcer calling it quieter than a funeral home.
                            Many of my favorite games ever were actually at the Field House. It had a much different vibe to it.

All the crowds suck this time of year.

Comment

The exclusive Satuday night game was an IUP staple dating back to the mid-90s. It's something they need to bring back ASAP.
                              Just threaten to organize another Silent Night vs. Gannon if they don't bring back 7:30 tipoffs and I guarantee things change.

Top five list of two-word phrases Joe Lombardi hates:

5. True freshmen
                              4. Kevin Reynolds
                              3. West Liberty
                              2. GQ ref
                              1. Silent Night

Comment

• Originally posted by hawks16 View Post

Just threaten to organize another Silent Night vs. Gannon if they don't bring back 7:30 tipoffs and I guarantee things change.

Top five list of two-word phrases Joe Lombardi hates:

5. True freshmen
                                4. Kevin Reynolds
                                3. West Liberty
                                2. GQ ref
                                1. Silent Night

SIlent Night makes me laugh every year when it comes up.

We said it the day after ... there would never, ever be another one under Redshirt Joe's watch.

There hasn't been.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X