X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

What is interesting about Saturday? I'm assuming the likely 6 on 6 matchup?
    Interesting in that there are a lot of new faces that will be expected to fill key roles, and on top of that, we aren’t certain how Dillard, Stewart, and Brooks will grow into their roles of needing to lead the team. Looking back at Joe’s tenure, this is a significant rebuild. Even he won’t know how these guys will respond in key moments in games.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Tomiwa had 6 points and 4 rebounds (20 minutes) in his Towson debut in a loss at Colorado.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by EyeoftheHawk View Post
    It’s hard to say what to expect on Friday, let alone for the entire season. I have a feeling though that it’s not going to be a great year. There are just so many changes and as good as IUP was last year, the margin between winning and losing was still razor thin at times. Keep in mind IUP plays in one of, if not the best, regions in the country. On top of that, the PSAC is right up there with the best conferences and it seems deep this year.

If I’m playing IUP, my game plan is to take Porterfield away and make everyone else beat you. I’m not sold on Brooks as a starter logging a bunch of minutes. It will be interesting to see what Waldo brings to the table. He might be the wild card in this discussion. If he’s proven to be able to survive physically and also be a bit of a sharpshooter, that changes things because IUP has two really good guards in Stewart and Dillard and an elite forward in Porterfield. Apparently Clarke is a true point guard, which will help. We also haven’t talked at all about MacNamara. I know he’s looked pretty sloppy and even a bit lost at times when he’s gotten in, but he is a physical presence and could play 7-8 meaningful minutes per game. If he’s improved, maybe they could even get 10 minutes out of him, but that may be a stretch.

For IUP to make it to the NCAA Tournament this year, Stewart and Dillard will have to prove they can score at the rate needed to support Porterfield. Brooks has to improve significantly on both ends of the floor, Waldo is going to have to bring a new element to the offense that causes defenses problems, and someone is going to have to be a surprise and bring some intangibles to the table that we haven’t talked much about. That’s a long checklist and it might all be doable, but as has been mentioned a ton, there are a lot of unknowns.

Saturday might be the most interesting game IUP has played in the last 10 years.
    Petteno is that guy. Proven D2 player and a legit sharpshooter. Clarke will be a big player at this level.

Just hope Romero-Sanz is dressed.

What is interesting about Saturday? I'm assuming the likely 6 on 6 matchup?

Leave a comment:

• EyeoftheHawk
    replied
    It’s hard to say what to expect on Friday, let alone for the entire season. I have a feeling though that it’s not going to be a great year. There are just so many changes and as good as IUP was last year, the margin between winning and losing was still razor thin at times. Keep in mind IUP plays in one of, if not the best, regions in the country. On top of that, the PSAC is right up there with the best conferences and it seems deep this year.

If I’m playing IUP, my game plan is to take Porterfield away and make everyone else beat you. I’m not sold on Brooks as a starter logging a bunch of minutes. It will be interesting to see what Waldo brings to the table. He might be the wild card in this discussion. If he’s proven to be able to survive physically and also be a bit of a sharpshooter, that changes things because IUP has two really good guards in Stewart and Dillard and an elite forward in Porterfield. Apparently Clarke is a true point guard, which will help. We also haven’t talked at all about MacNamara. I know he’s looked pretty sloppy and even a bit lost at times when he’s gotten in, but he is a physical presence and could play 7-8 meaningful minutes per game. If he’s improved, maybe they could even get 10 minutes out of him, but that may be a stretch.

For IUP to make it to the NCAA Tournament this year, Stewart and Dillard will have to prove they can score at the rate needed to support Porterfield. Brooks has to improve significantly on both ends of the floor, Waldo is going to have to bring a new element to the offense that causes defenses problems, and someone is going to have to be a surprise and bring some intangibles to the table that we haven’t talked much about. That’s a long checklist and it might all be doable, but as has been mentioned a ton, there are a lot of unknowns.

Saturday might be the most interesting game IUP has played in the last 10 years.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied
    God I'd love to make the trip like I have the past 6-7 years but it just isn't feasible this year. I'll still be watching.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    There's a rare triple-header at the KCAC on Friday (for any of you extreme diehards).

12 p.m. IUP women host PSU-New Kensington in what will be your typical 110-28 game.

5 p.m. Notre Dame (OH) vs UPJ

7:30 p.m. Concord at IUP

Pitt-Johnstown is playing (5) regular season games at Joe's House this year. Two this weekend, two at Thanksgiving and the regular season game against IUP.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Cobra Hawks View Post
    Anyone go to the open day? Any revelations?
    Todd May is on the clock. That's the story.

Leave a comment:

• Cobra Hawks
    replied
    Anyone go to the open day? Any revelations?

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

Sounds like a great time. Guaranteed he won't show his hand.
    Perhaps he'll unveil which 8 players will redshirt this year.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied
    Joe is hosting a 'meet the team' open practice tomorrow at the Field House (11 a.m.). It is open to the public.

It's actually a good concept this year being 7 of the 14 haven't played a game here (8 if you count Waldo).
    Sounds like a great time. Guaranteed he won't show his hand.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Joe is hosting a 'meet the team' open practice tomorrow at the Field House (11 a.m.). It is open to the public.

It's actually a good concept this year being 7 of the 14 haven't played a game here (8 if you count Waldo).

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Chuck Norris View Post

I’m hoping that, since we know he reads or is at least aware of this board, Joe is just trolling us in regards to Romero-Sanz. It’s certainly worked on me. I’ve never seen the guy do anything and I’ve talked more about him than any new arrival to the team since I started following IUP basketball 30+ years ago.
    I just hope he gives Ethan enough support in his final season.

He (Joe) destroyed that team a year ago by not playing his bench.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

Joe reads this board because he's referenced it a few times. I know he's quoted myself and BigIndians in the past. I swear he does stuff just to erk me, especially this KJ love he has.
    Hell, Jack's mentioned the board in his post game interview in the past.

Joe rarely slips but when he does it's always on the post game show. Tony can pick and choose what gets in the paper but that radio show is live.

The best is when Jack drops a direct question and Joe answers it in a 3-minute rant about something completely off topic. He does make it sound good, though.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied
    Originally posted by Chuck Norris View Post

I’m hoping that, since we know he reads or is at least aware of this board, Joe is just trolling us in regards to Romero-Sanz. It’s certainly worked on me. I’ve never seen the guy do anything and I’ve talked more about him than any new arrival to the team since I started following IUP basketball 30+ years ago.
    Joe reads this board because he's referenced it a few times. I know he's quoted myself and BigIndians in the past. I swear he does stuff just to erk me, especially this KJ love he has.

Leave a comment:

• Chuck Norris
    replied

Joe's obviously had a ton of success, but, by far, my opinion, his biggest flaw (or, weakness) has been this whole redshirt thing paired with playing such a small rotation yearly. He far too often runs these teams in to the ground by February. Pair that with chaos (i.e. walk-ons) typically following any injuries. If last year wasn't the prime example ...

It's a different world now than when he started at IUP.

I fully get Joe's logic in redshirting Denzel Kabasele this year. He'd be the 5th guard (no-man's land in Joe's rotation). However, maybe it's time to play more guys and not destroy your starters' legs by Valentine's Day. This is a big, physical guard who has played two successful years of JUCO. If Watson also reshirts, I'd assume that would make Jaylen Stewart the backup PG.

As for Romero-Sanz, I can't fathom not playing him this year. That is, unless the plan is to play Ethan 38 mpg and get him tapped out by the second half. That post is very shaky and not that big without Romero-Sanz. Brooks should have a nice year but I'd be shocked if they get more than 15 mpg out of him. Waldo is a nice prospect but is going to have major struggles against the big, physical forwards. He can't be more than 175 lbs. I'm not further piling on KJ but if he's actually in the 'post player' rotation, this is going to be a long season. If you're going to play a 6'4" forward in this league, he best be Jermaine Hall (Cal).

They don't need Romero-Sanz to be some offensive savior this season. They just need him to be a big, physical body in there to bang and rebound. He's a solid 6'8" to 6'9" and easily 225 to 230 pounds.

Joe has 14 guys on the roster. If he redshirts Watson, Kabasele and Lambert (true freshman PG), that puts the 'dress list' down to 11 players (including walk-ons).

Hell, he hasn't redshirted Ethan or Dallis yet. Cross your fingers.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X