Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clearly the PSAC...chose...POORly in canceling this basketball season. With all the financial turmoil among the PASSHE members, I wonder if that was really the driving issue and not fear of Covid???

Comment

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
      Clearly the PSAC...chose...POORly in canceling this basketball season. With all the financial turmoil among the PASSHE members, I wonder if that was really the driving issue and not fear of Covid???
      For many schools it probably was. It wasn't here but no doubt all those that voted 'no' ... it could have played a factor.

Covid is an interesting topic on here. Half the board thought we'd all be dead by now.

It was a terrible decision. But, the CIAA canceled, too.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

For many schools it probably was. It wasn't here but no doubt all those that voted 'no' ... it could have played a factor.

Covid is an interesting topic on here. Half the board thought we'd all be dead by now.

It was a terrible decision. But, the CIAA canceled, too.
        Don't know and will probably never know what the real reason was but it seems to me that Covid created a perfect excuse to do what the PASSHE schools needed to do financially. It was just a shame that the non-PASSHE members got drug along for the ride.

Comment

Don't know and will probably never know what the real reason was but it seems to me that Covid created a perfect excuse to do what the PASSHE schools needed to do financially. It was just a shame that the non-PASSHE members got drug along for the ride.
          Remember two PSAC privates also declined to play (Seton Hill and UPJ).

PA had awful spread numbers when the infamous vote went down.

Who knows. Joe's whole team is staying so we'll start back up next year. Is what it is. Feel bad for the players. They were stacked this year. Gotta be bored out of their minds just practicing daily.

Comment

Remember two PSAC privates also declined to play (Seton Hill and UPJ).

PA had awful spread numbers when the infamous vote went down.

Who knows. Joe's whole team is staying so we'll start back up next year. Is what it is. Feel bad for the players. They were stacked this year. Gotta be bored out of their minds just practicing daily.
            Yea, as well as one non-PASSHE public. Other side of the coin, two privates and apparently another one PASSHE public is playing in some form this year. Wonder if when all this started if Hurst, Gannon and Clarion had committed to playing, if they couldn't have convinced Seton Hill, UPJ and Shepherd to join them. Shepherd has to be dying! Every other DII in WV is playing...except for them!!

Comment

Yea, as well as one non-PASSHE public. Other side of the coin, two privates and apparently another one PASSHE public is playing in some form this year. Wonder if when all this started if Hurst, Gannon and Clarion had committed to playing, if they couldn't have convinced Seton Hill, UPJ and Shepherd to join them. Shepherd has to be dying! Every other DII in WV is playing...except for them!!
              Do Shepherd fans actually know they have a basketball team?

Reminds me of Slippery Rock.

Comment

Do Shepherd fans actually know they have a basketball team?

Reminds me of Slippery Rock.
                I don't know. They were a typical DII program I guess...400-500 fans in the stands and very little media (print, TV or social). They were always a team that people would say was "poised for a big year" then it just wouldn't happen and they would finish around .500.

only one year but it seems like Shepherd in the PSAC is just like Shepherd in the MEC...roughly a 500 team.
                Last edited by boatcapt; 02-04-2021, 09:48 AM.

Comment

Clearly the PSAC...chose...POORly in canceling this basketball season. With all the financial turmoil among the PASSHE members, I wonder if that was really the driving issue and not fear of Covid???
                  I think it was the right decision regardless of the financial turmoil. The NCAA standard was testing multiple times a week and all persons with regular contact with the team: team members, coaches, managers, trainers, etc. That adds up quickly. EVERY school has lost big time money between fee refunds and fewer students on campus. Testing basketball was going to be thousands of dollars a week. Its a waste of money just to have a season. Sports are a nice distraction but they don't matter right now. Especially partial-scholarship college basketball.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

I think it was the right decision regardless of the financial turmoil. The NCAA standard was testing multiple times a week and all persons with regular contact with the team: team members, coaches, managers, trainers, etc. That adds up quickly. EVERY school has lost big time money between fee refunds and fewer students on campus. Testing basketball was going to be thousands of dollars a week. Its a waste of money just to have a season. Sports are a nice distraction but they don't matter right now. Especially partial-scholarship college basketball.
                    So the decision was mostly caused by the financial difficulties of the PASSHE schools? That's some hard cheese to swallow for the 5 non-PASSHE members of the PSAC.

Comment

So the decision was mostly caused by the financial difficulties of the PASSHE schools? That's some hard cheese to swallow for the 5 non-PASSHE members of the PSAC.
                      I'm saying its a waste of money for any school to try to force a sports season this year. There is no one benefit than simply trying to do some normal things. The crowds can't be there. The students aren't around. They don't make enough revenue off of basketball to make it worth it. The "othered 5" joined a league where 75% of members belong to the same system. They knew what they were signing up for. Until the 2012 expansion, the PSAC was a de facto auxiliary of PASSHE.

Comment

I'm saying its a waste of money for any school to try to force a sports season this year. There is no one benefit than simply trying to do some normal things. The crowds can't be there. The students aren't around. They don't make enough revenue off of basketball to make it worth it. The "othered 5" joined a league where 75% of members belong to the same system. They knew what they were signing up for. Until the 2012 expansion, the PSAC was a de facto auxiliary of PASSHE.
                        Well, I wonder how many DII basketball or football teams can say they actually "make money?" Sure, when you factor in tuition for 120 players, you can make a pretty strong case that a number break even, but for most, they operate at a loss even in a good year. But then again, show me somthing on a typical DII campus that truly makes money?

Comment

Well, I wonder how many DII basketball or football teams can say they actually "make money?" Sure, when you factor in tuition for 120 players, you can make a pretty strong case that a number break even, but for most, they operate at a loss even in a good year. But then again, show me somthing on a typical DII campus that truly makes money?
                          Not saying they "make money." They don't bring in much revenue. Most if not all have gameday revenue (tickets & concessions) go into a general athletic fund rather than stay with the program. D2 average is what 400-500 a game? It would be interesting to see what percentage paid for their seat. Basketball isn't a sport where the parents buy season tickets & travel with the team like football.

Comment

Not saying they "make money." They don't bring in much revenue. Most if not all have gameday revenue (tickets & concessions) go into a general athletic fund rather than stay with the program. D2 average is what 400-500 a game? It would be interesting to see what percentage paid for their seat. Basketball isn't a sport where the parents buy season tickets & travel with the team like football.
                            Joe brings in more money than anybody in the region. Huge donors and 2,000 fans on avg. IUP voted to play. Why they then decided not to after the rest declined is an answer nobody on here can provide. People don't line up to play Joe's team when they don't have to do so.

Comment

Joe brings in more money than anybody in the region. Huge donors and 2,000 fans on avg. IUP voted to play. Why they then decided not to after the rest declined is an answer nobody on here can provide. People don't line up to play Joe's team when they don't have to do so.
                              On funding, IUP is the exception. Its a perfect storm of a coach with big-time vision and several departments with bit-time thinkers and big-time doers. There aren't big money donors in Clarion replicate their model. As for this year, he's probably a victim of his own success with a little bit of realizing he doesn't *have* to make a season happen. All that money budgeted for travel and meals can be saved or put toward other things. One football coach at a non-PSAC school I spoke to said that exact thing. He gave back half of his operating budget and once the season was canceled got approval to buy new uniforms a year ahead of schedule.

Comment

On funding, IUP is the exception. Its a perfect storm of a coach with big-time vision and several departments with bit-time thinkers and big-time doers. There aren't big money donors in Clarion replicate their model. As for this year, he's probably a victim of his own success with a little bit of realizing he doesn't *have* to make a season happen. All that money budgeted for travel and meals can be saved or put toward other things. One football coach at a non-PSAC school I spoke to said that exact thing. He gave back half of his operating budget and once the season was canceled got approval to buy new uniforms a year ahead of schedule.
                                It's funny how times change. Clarion used to be a basketball hotbed. In the 90s they had some really good teams -- and really big crowds.

Tippin was one of the loudest gyms around in that era. It could be deafening in there. Fast forward and that program is just a relic of an era gone by.

IUP games there are hilarious. I go on that road trip every year. IUP brings 100-150 people. Clarion has 50. It's a defacto home game.

Ron Righter had a great, long career there. They've been a lost soul since. Marcess had one decent team but once those guys he brought with him left ... it was over.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X