• Show
Clear All

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Re: PSAC WEST

Opening Weekend

IUP: Concord, Virginia State -----> Not easy but 2-0 is the theme

UPJ: Virginia State, Concord -----> Brutal start for the young UPJ squad

SRU: Notre Dame (OH), Fairmont State -----> Who knows what to expect after the KR debacle. A split would be huge for SRU.

Gannon: Wheeling Jesuit, Shepherd -------> GU has to be thinking a 2-0 start here although that may hinge on Webb's foot being out of a boot.

Mercyhurst: Fredonia ------> Fredonia is listing this as a scrimmage. Mercyhurst is showing it as a real game. Should be a beating either way.

Seton Hill: Glenville State, Charleston ------> We'll see what SH has real quick. Likely 0-2. Glenville is a sleeper.

California: Fairmont State, Notre Dame (OH) -------> Two tough opponents for Sancomb debut ... of course he's very familiar with both.

Edinboro: Thiel ------> Will Staunch play football during the afternoon and basketball at night? Blah opener.

Clarion: Norfolk State (exb) ----> exhibition
    Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 11-09-2018, 09:55 AM.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Drew Magestro didn't play for UPJ. He's one of their top returners. Could be something to monitor.

Pitt was up 20 at the half. The second half UPJ outscored them 35-34 although it looks like Pitt gave a lot of guys minutes.

UPJ is very young this year.

I so wish IUP could have played Pitt this year.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Pitt 78

UPJ 59
    Pitt is going to have a long year!

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Pitt 78

UPJ 59

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

The WVU vs AB game was recently cancelled. The explanation is over in the Midwest forum.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

They tried it but failed miserably ... probably less than 5 minutes.

Leave a comment:

• hawks16
    replied

For what it's worth, didn't Syracuse play only man-to-man defense against IUP?

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied

Yeah ... WVU is no joke. They hung like 60 on Wheeling Jesuit last yet ... or some big number. They do a lot of the things WL does ... just with bigger, faster athletes -- and more of them.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Yeah ... WVU is no joke. They hung like 60 on Wheeling Jesuit last yet ... or some big number. They do a lot of the things WL does ... just with bigger, faster athletes -- and more of them.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

You aren't hijacking anything. There are so few of us on the basketball side it's not like we don't (in theory) know each other.

It's funny. What I read on the UK boards about the Transylvania games is exactly what I read on the Syracuse threads after the IUP game.

Jim Boheim actually said at his press conference after the game that IUP was a match-up problem for Syracuse and its famous zone -- mainly because IUP had a bunch of 'smaller 6'7" guys shooting three's over top the zone'. He said their post players -- typically in the 6'10" to 7'1" range -- rarely have to go out and cover the three point line. IUP stormed out to a big lead in that game and then the Orange pressed the button. He also inferred IUP ran a 'junk defense' which I still don't really understand what that meant.

From what I read on the UK boards they were saying Translyvania just had a bunch of 6' guards launching from all over the place. Add that to what your neighbor said and it makes sense.

But, the thing with UK is you always want them early. That's basically a new team every year. By Jan-Feb they start rolling -- and have some of the best recruits in the country.

Calipari and Lombardi are very close friends, too. I think IUP has enough this year to, as you said, at least make it interesting for a bit. If they stay within 20-30 by the end that's a success. This is freaking Kentucky after all.

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
    The certainly don't want to lose but getting "pushed" could serve as tool for the coach to refocus their team.

As for not scheduling a team, yea, WLU is familiar with that. WVU has been ducking WLU for years. In 2016 they said they couldn't get their schedule to align but then came to WestBanco Arena (literally 12 miles away from WLU) on Oct 16 and played an intersquad scrimmage before playing WV Tech in an exhibition game on the 29th. WLU didn't have anything going on particularly beyond normal practice on both dates. I jokingly suggested that the Topper players get in their cars, drive to WesBanco and challenge the Mountaineers to a pick-up game!!! I'm sure Huggin's would have blown a gasket if the WLU players did that!!!

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

Make no mistake, they best win the game. Exhibition or not, they don't want a D2 loss in the media.

After the IUP women beat Pitt last year ... they aren't ever being invited back there.

There's actually a good story from several years back when Slippery Rock played one of Jamie Dixon's good Pitt teams. The Rock gave it to them in the first half. Jamie wasn't real happy with paying a D2 team to come in and push his team around. It got interesting at halftime.
    The certainly don't want to lose but getting "pushed" could serve as tool for the coach to refocus their team.

As for not scheduling a team, yea, WLU is familiar with that. WVU has been ducking WLU for years. In 2016 they said they couldn't get their schedule to align but then came to WestBanco Arena (literally 12 miles away from WLU) on Oct 16 and played an intersquad scrimmage before playing WV Tech in an exhibition game on the 29th. WLU didn't have anything going on particularly beyond normal practice on both dates. I jokingly suggested that the Topper players get in their cars, drive to WesBanco and challenge the Mountaineers to a pick-up game!!! I'm sure Huggin's would have blown a gasket if the WLU players did that!!!

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Make no mistake, they best win the game. Exhibition or not, they don't want a D2 loss in the media.

After the IUP women beat Pitt last year ... they aren't ever being invited back there.

There's actually a good story from several years back when Slippery Rock played one of Jamie Dixon's good Pitt teams. The Rock gave it to them in the first half. Jamie wasn't real happy with paying a D2 team to come in and push his team around. It got interesting at halftime.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

Valid point.

On the other hand, IUP is going to likely take the full throttle from Kentucky for probably at least 30 minutes. With the way Calipari recruits the one-and-done's ... these games are real important to them for as simple as getting some time to gel on the court together.

I like these games. All of IUP's most recent big seasons started with these types of games. They are glorified practices but it's a really cool experience for the players. They won't see even remotely a team with this athleticism and size again all season.

Two years ago they played Syracuse pretty tough. I remember Jim Boheim even slammed his clipboard calling a timeout. Then the next week Villanova stampeded them by about 60 points.
    While I don't think the coach for the name D1 pulls punches and is more than happy to walk out with a 40 point "win," there is part of me that kind of sees the chance for a close game as a tool the D1 HC can use to refocus a squad that might be getting a bit full of themselves. Kind of a - You thought you were good? Well you almost got your a$$ handed to you by a lowly DII program. Now shut your cake holes, focus and play the GD game the way I want you to play it!"

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X