Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comment

• Re: Atlantic Regional

I'm not saying IUP deserved to be in BUT I'd love to see the numbers. Gannon 22-9 with a bad loss, IUP 22-8 no bad losses and Ship 23-7 with two bad losses and very weak nonconference schedule. Food for thought.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
        I'm not saying IUP deserved to be in BUT I'd love to see the numbers. Gannon 22-9 with a bad loss, IUP 22-8 no bad losses and Ship 23-7 with two bad losses and very weak nonconference schedule. Food for thought.
        Yeah, I suppose the logic is that Gannon won their most recent games with Ship and IUP. But IUP could be 24 - 6 pretty easy had they played a few cupcakes. meh, they weren't going to win regionals anyway, Dante is out, maybe this will be motivation for next season.

Comment

I didn't like the seedings.

Why play two immediate rematches?

The way Virginia State has played down the stretch ... I'm not even sure the host is favored in Round 1. The 8 vs 1 is usually a blowout ... this is one of the tougher games to pick on Day 1.

Gannon would have been far better off getting the 8 seed instead of the 7 seed at this point.

Without Pat Moseh, Wheeling is going to have its hands full with West Chester. Who would have believed Wheeling could win the MEC Tournament without Pat Moseh and also not have to play either Fairmont or WL. Incredible.

Comment

I agree with you in some respects, IUP 24....If you're WL, don't lose to Charleston in semi's of conf tourney...but my overall rant goes to the conference tourneys in general...d2 level and d1 level...Why is their a greater emphasis placed on what a team does over 4 days / 4 games in a conference tourney than over 22 games over 2 months? WL won MEC conference by 2 games over WJ...Split the regular season with WJ, and WJ beats Concord and Charleston to win the MEC, and that's better than WL....
            I agree WL OOC schedule is not murderer's row, and i'd like them to schedule better, but to sink to a 4 seed...

And Same with IUP...IUP wins the PSAC West regular season with 2 game cushion over gannon...I think it's much harder to win the regular season conference title and should be valued as such, more than a 4 day tourney....

That's all...

That being said, I think winner of Ship -WL beats Va State / VA union winner...

Comment

Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
              Kutztown 21-7 one bad loss. Beat Gannon heads up. Lost to Esu also in the psac tournament.

Comment

My point exactly, VU gets in with 14 losses b/c they got hot for 4 days? UC almost steals another spot with 13 losses. It makes no sense!!! You could make a strong case for both IUP and Kutztown to be in the field.

Comment

I'm a Ship guy and still am shocked they got in over IUP as we split in our H2H with them, split with Gannon and didn't play a good out of conference schedule at all this season. This year's team is too inconsistent and I can see us being 1 and done again this year unfortunately. I'm more shocked that our women's team took such a nose dive this year as we had what I thought was a pretty good young and sort of experienced team returning mixed in with the freshman.

Comment

Originally posted by shipfbfan12 View Post
                    I'm a Ship guy and still am shocked they got in over IUP as we split in our H2H with them, split with Gannon and didn't play a good out of conference schedule at all this season. This year's team is too inconsistent and I can see us being 1 and done again this year unfortunately. I'm more shocked that our women's team took such a nose dive this year as we had what I thought was a pretty good young and sort of experienced team returning mixed in with the freshman.

Ship didn't play IUP this year. Also, Ship wasn't one-and-done last year. They lost to Wheeling Jesuit in the second round after blowing a big second half lead when Sleva got in foul trouble.

Comment

Selection committee for women seemed to prioritize the season results while the selection committee for the men seemed to favor the conference tournaments.

Comment

Originally posted by IUP Extra Mile View Post
                        I agree with you in some respects, IUP 24....If you're WL, don't lose to Charleston in semi's of conf tourney...but my overall rant goes to the conference tourneys in general...d2 level and d1 level...Why is their a greater emphasis placed on what a team does over 4 days / 4 games in a conference tourney than over 22 games over 2 months? WL won MEC conference by 2 games over WJ...Split the regular season with WJ, and WJ beats Concord and Charleston to win the MEC, and that's better than WL....
                        I agree WL OOC schedule is not murderer's row, and i'd like them to schedule better, but to sink to a 4 seed...

And Same with IUP...IUP wins the PSAC West regular season with 2 game cushion over gannon...I think it's much harder to win the regular season conference title and should be valued as such, more than a 4 day tourney....

That's all...

Agree 100%. Winning the MEC regular season conference championship should place more weight than winning the conference tournament. True round robin in the MEC. I guess a few teams that got in---have a gripe with seedings, but at the end of the day anyone can win this regional no matter where they are seeded. I guess the mystery to me is how VSU got to host. Strength of schedule might have come in to play, but they did lose to 2 sub-500 teams and seemed to struggle down the stretch in their wins.

Comment

As far as WL getting the #4, it is where they should be. Yes, they won the MEC by 2 games, but they split with WJ with the deciding factors coming with this weekend and then even more WJ's SOS continues to be far better than WL's SOS. When you play 1 above .500 team out of conference it doesn't help compared to WJ's 3 Atlantic Region qualifying teams out of conference.

Overall, this more than the last 2 years, the region can see virtually any of the 8 take home the title.

Comment

Originally posted by IUP Extra Mile View Post

That's all...

Each conference determines how it will be represented in the NCAA tournament, so it's a question for each conference and not the NCAA. The Ivy League didn't start a tournament until last year. the Big Ten was one of the last conferences to have a postseason conference tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by pennbraz View Post
                              As far as WL getting the #4, it is where they should be. Yes, they won the MEC by 2 games, but they split with WJ with the deciding factors coming with this weekend and then even more WJ's SOS continues to be far better than WL's SOS. When you play 1 above .500 team out of conference it doesn't help compared to WJ's 3 Atlantic Region qualifying teams out of conference.

Overall, this more than the last 2 years, the region can see virtually any of the 8 take home the title.
                              Ok, I'll give WJ the game vs Va State...albeit it was a loss.... But Gannon and Va Union didn't become Atlantic region attendees until saturday or sunday...

And why not talk about WJ's bad losses to Va WIse and Shepherd...that should affect the seeding too...

Comment

Hopefully our guys use the #4 seed as motivation. Good news is we won't play a rematch until possibly the Regional Championship game. I think teams struggle the first time they play us more so than the second time they play us.

Either way, this is our 9th straight NCAA Tournament Bid!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X