X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Atlantic Regional

Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
    Not necessarily...
    Fair point, but IUP fans had better hope a Cinderella team doesn't run the table in the MEC or CIAA tourney.
    Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post
      Fair point, but IUP fans had better hope a Cinderella team doesn't run the table in the MEC or CIAA tourney.
      More than just IUP fans better hope that isn't the case.

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post
        I agree. In 2015, regional #7 Slippery Rock lost 71-45 at Gannon in the conference quarterfinals, GU's third win over Reynolds that season. It looked like curtains for The Rock, but they got the #7 seed and of course, played #2 Gannon in the first round for a fourth time. And on strange sh!t Saturday, the fourth time was the charm for Rock.

IMHO IUP is very much alive for a regional bid. I think that they could even weather a conference tourney upset winner in the CIAA or MEC. Gannon will not pass them in the rankings with a loss on Saturday. And will very likely not pass them with a Saturday win AND Sunday loss. Who else is going to bypass IUP that will even drop then to 8? Not Kutztown. Not Gannon unless they win the PSAC.

Also, did I read that the NCAA will change seeds around to avoid first round conference rematches?

Comment

You did but it may be impossible if the PSAC sends 5 teams.

Fairmont State is still alive. If they lose in the MEC Tournament they'll have a near identical record with IUP. IUP beat them straight up but it would come down to the metrics.

Shippensburg controls a lot of IUP's fate.

They put themselves in this spot ... not they gotta wait it out and see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Golden89 View Post
            I agree. In 2015, regional #7 Slippery Rock lost 71-45 at Gannon in the conference quarterfinals, GU's third win over Reynolds that season. It looked like curtains for The Rock, but they got the #7 seed and of course, played #2 Gannon in the first round for a fourth time. And on strange sh!t Saturday, the fourth time was the charm for Rock.

IMHO IUP is very much alive for a regional bid. I think that they could even weather a conference tourney upset winner in the CIAA or MEC. Gannon will not pass them in the rankings with a loss on Saturday. And will very likely not pass them with a Saturday win AND Sunday loss. Who else is going to bypass IUP that will even drop then to 8? Not Kutztown. Not Gannon unless they win the PSAC.

Also, did I read that the NCAA will change seeds around to avoid first round conference rematches?

Comment

Originally posted by Golden89 View Post

I agree with you. I know there's a lot of jubilation over IUP getting in trouble and getting knocked out of the PSAC Tournament, but, the Big Dance is what counts.

The grave is dug but they aren't in it just yet.

This Joe team is probably the most criticized 22-game winning, division title winning team in league history. They've battled more adversity than any team I've ever seen ... two season-ending injuries, fluke accidents, grease fires, suspensions.

Malik Miller missed nearly 4 weeks in the heart of the conference schedule, including both Gannon games, and they still won the West.

Glover broke the rules and paid his debt. The whole team paid the debt. Dante was a fluke broken wrist. Like him or not nobody should be happy he broke his wrist.

No pity party ... Just hold the champagne a bit longer. The story isn't over yet. Joe will take an NCAA bid any day over a conference tournament run.

There's a lot of people throwing mud at the program. I get it. They have it coming. Just be careful what you wish for ... the mud may be on their team come Sunday night after the selection show.

If Joe gets his dancing shoes, what happened this week won't much matter.
              Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 03-01-2018, 08:04 PM.

Comment

Shaw is out. I guess their season is over

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                  Virginia State passed WL in today's release.

Wheeling jumped to 5. IUP fell to 6.
                  Anyone who thinks WLU get's a fair shake from the NCAA just needs to look at this weeks regional rankings! Va State is better than WLU??? Yea...give me a break.

Comment

I think both IUP and Kutz have played their way out of the NCAA tourney with their first round departures. They should be replaced by Gannon and Fairmont. Butttt...for this to be "safe," three things need to happen. First, Gannon needs to play well even if they lose their next PSAC Tourney game; second, Fairmont needs to get to the MEC Tourney semi's; and third, no outsider can win any of the three conf tourneys.

Of course this is the NCAA and if they want IUP to be in the tourney, they will find a way to get them in no matter what the criteria or logic say...just look at this weeks regional rankings for "proof!"

Comment

Not how it works. You qualify or you don't. Gannon 'playing well' in a loss would be irrelevent.

It's a set formula matrix. That's why WL fell. There is no conspiracy theories. Conference tournament performance is not direct metric category.
                      Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 03-02-2018, 12:00 PM.

Comment

Tell me your logic for bumping Fairmont and Gannon over Kutztown and IUP.

Logic ... not babbling. Fairmont has two losses against teams under .500 ... that is killing them. They go 1-1 in the MEC and they'll have the same record as IUP ... and IUP blew them out head-to-head. I'm failing to see your logic outside of them winning the MEC Tournament. Gannon loses tomorrow they'll have one more loss than IUP. GU loses tomorrow there's no chance they jump IUP in the matrix.

This is measured in body of work for the entire season. Not the last week of February.

To be accurate, they went out in the 2nd round ... not the first.
                        Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 03-02-2018, 12:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                          I think both IUP and Kutz have played their way out of the NCAA tourney with their first round departures. They should be replaced by Gannon and Fairmont. Butttt...for this to be "safe," three things need to happen. First, Gannon needs to play well even if they lose their next PSAC Tourney game; second, Fairmont needs to get to the MEC Tourney semi's; and third, no outsider can win any of the three conf tourneys.

Of course this is the NCAA and if they want IUP to be in the tourney, they will find a way to get them in no matter what the criteria or logic say...just look at this weeks regional rankings for "proof!"
                          What's your reasoning for IUP playing their way out? Is it because they always give WL fits??? IUP deserves the bid over Fairmont due to head to head. Fairmont only gets in over IUP if they win the conference tourney!

Comment

Fairmont has to pass Kutztown, too. If they don't win the MEC it's highly unlikely they make it.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

So a high free throw percentage and good crisp passing gets them in?

Comment

Originally posted by Horror Child View Post
                                So a high free throw percentage and good crisp passing gets them in?
                                Yep...That and a high shooting %.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X