Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: SRU

Originally posted by Dozsa2 View Post
    A common theme I notice on here is that Slippery Rock doesn't care about basketball. I'm a graduate and I wouldn't care if they dropped the sport tomorrow (I donate to our football and baseball programs). But it begs the question: if the school doesn't care about basketball, why did it keep a coach around who may not have committed any crimes, but was doing some questionable things in terms of the players he was bringing in, etc. And now they have to pay this guy through 2021? Seems someone up there cares about basketball. And if it's Lueken, I hope he follows this guy out the door.
    KR took the fall ... and a lot of money with him on the way out of town.

What you likely have now is a lot of people there playing dumb like they had no idea what was going on for the past 10 years.

KR didn't give himself that last 5-year contract. How in the world the AD survives this is a total mystery. They all knew what he was doing there. Somebody signed off on all those guys in admissions.

Truth is if the players didn't have the walk-out he'd still be coaching there right now. Perhaps under double secret probation but nonetheless.

Once the mutiny happened they had no choice. They weren't going to cancel the season.

The new president likely also sees that basketball can generate a lot of cash. Go to a game at IUP on a Saturday night and you'll see that real quick.

KR made a living off retreads, mercenaries and goons but they didn't misbehave while on campus -- at least not criminally.

It's why I think Grady has no chance of getting that job. He was there for 8 years and saw firsthand everything they just fired Reynolds for doing. Had they canned KR in July the whole staff would have been let go with him.

Comment

People act like Reynolds did somthing wrong. Clearly he didn't. Earlier comparisons of graduation rates show that his players were as likely to graduate as those from almost any other program. Sure most of his players were transfers, but youd be hard pressed to find a program that hasn't had transfers fill critical rolls and were often the difference makers on some very successful teams.

Reynolds teams played tough and that rankled the feathers of some who say his players were goons. That is a little strong coming from a conference known for goonish play.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
        People act like Reynolds did somthing wrong. Clearly he didn't. Earlier comparisons of graduation rates show that his players were as likely to graduate as those from almost any other program. Sure most of his players were transfers, but youd be hard pressed to find a program that hasn't had transfers fill critical rolls and were often the difference makers on some very successful teams.

Reynolds teams played tough and that rankled the feathers of some who say his players were goons. That is a little strong coming from a conference known for goonish play.
        Perhaps taking a player banned from the IUP campus for sexual assault could be soon as a goon. Just sayin'

To that point ... Reynolds didn't work in admissions.

He's just the fall guy and they sold him down the river to appease a bunch of kids on their 3rd and 4th schools because he yelled too much.

Comment

If there was ANY feasible reason not to pay out his contract they wouldn't be

But there isn't and he got a golden parachute

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
            Perhaps taking a player banned from the IUP campus for sexual assault could be soon as a goon. Just sayin'

To that point ... Reynolds didn't work in admissions.

He's just the fall guy and they sold him down the river to appease a bunch of kids on their 3rd and 4th schools because he yelled too much.
            As with most of these things, the school over reacted to the situation and took action before doing a measured assessment of all the facts. When organizations make knee jerk decisions like this one apparently was, it almost always bites them in the ass. Maybe they saw this as a way to get out of paying Reynolds and they lept before knowing all the facts. People want to criticize the AD for his part in Reynolds 5 year contract...might as well throw some shade on the new Prez whos actions will now force SRU to pay for TWO head basketball coaches! What a way to start your tenure...OUCH!!

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
              As with most of these things, the school over reacted to the situation and took action before doing a measured assessment of all the facts. When organizations make knee jerk decisions like this one apparently was, it almost always bites them in the ass. Maybe they saw this as a way to get out of paying Reynolds and they lept before knowing all the facts. People want to criticize the AD for his part in Reynolds 5 year contract...might as well throw some shade on the new Prez whos actions will now force SRU to pay for TWO head basketball coaches! What a way to start your tenure...OUCH!!

Yep. I do wonder how that plays in to the next hire. Do they now take the Clarion route and pay somebody the equivalent of D2 coaching minimum wage or do they just bite the bullet and open the wallet. Three years of paying two basketball coaches has to take its toll somewhere.

I guess, regardless, the KR era is officially dead. He certainly was at center stage of some of the more entertaining moments in KCAC recent history. NOBODY -- player or coach -- could get that place fired up like he could. Perhaps it's only fitting his era ends in a heated controversy.

I do hope he lands in the conference, builds up a bad program (hint: Clarion) and sticks it right back up SRU's backside.

Villains are good for business.

Comment

• Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

Comment

24...I agree with your post. No successful program is spotless. Wins are the cureall and will "hide" almost all bad behavior and questionable recruiting. Had Reynolds won PSAC crowns the last three years and gone to the NCAA playoffs, he'd probably still be the head man at SRU.

Particularly agree with your last para. In this day and age, everything a person did or said can be dragged up with a demand for swift and harsh retribution...even things that happened 20+ years ago! No amount of growth and/or good works done is ever enough to erase a questionable drunken photo taken when a person was 18. I look back on some of the things I did when I was a teenager and thank god there weren't cell phone cameras back then! I would probably be completely non-employable in this day and age.

Comment

Do you know why Micah Till was dismissed from NC State?

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

Comment

Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
                        When asked by the media, he refuses to talk about it. "Violation of team rules" is what NC State put out but without a legal record it means they were university or program violations. In my experience, that could be all sorts of things like repeated failed drug tests, code of conduct violations that didn't result in police charges, missing team meetings or practices, or even just pissing off the coaches to the point of being cut from the team. Honestly, it could be a mix of any of those too. Usually it comes down to their production being lesser than the other distractions.

Comment

Any update on the #FreeKevinReynolds saga. SRU Alum here and haven't seen much

Comment

Originally posted by PSACfan1 View Post
                            Any update on the #FreeKevinReynolds saga. SRU Alum here and haven't seen much
                            There are some rumors out there. Bottom line is I don't think he'll be unemployed very long -- perhaps this season, max.

The Golden Parachute he got from SRU gave him some flexibility to perhaps wait for the right job to come along.

From strictly a fan entertainment view, the West will be much more dull this coming season. No KR. No JR.

One indisputable fact: Playoff games at IUP can't get a crowd wound up. KR's theatrics could get the place humming. LOL.

Comment

Will that Wheeling feeling finally free Kevin Reynolds?

Comment

Originally posted by PSACwatcher View Post
                                Will that Wheeling feeling finally free Kevin Reynolds?
                                Hope not. Although that is making the rounds.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X