Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by NWHoops View Post

That sounds like most athletic departments, especially D1.
    Having worked at several D1 schools, I'd say they pale in comparison to what I've been told about UCLA (and USC). Where Oregon and Oklahoma State were shadow run by two mega donors, and most SEC schools have pools of politically connected wealthy donors, I was told that there's a handful of super wealthy donors who have enough clout on campus and with greater LA that the whole school lets them have their way. Probably what you see with Auburn football but with the entire department.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Having worked at several D1 schools, I'd say they pale in comparison to what I've been told about UCLA (and USC). Where Oregon and Oklahoma State were shadow run by two mega donors, and most SEC schools have pools of politically connected wealthy donors, I was told that there's a handful of super wealthy donors who have enough clout on campus and with greater LA that the whole school lets them have their way. Probably what you see with Auburn football but with the entire department.
      Gotcha. That makes sense. Most schools have those large donors who are very influential but maybe not as directly as what you see at those schools you mention.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

The boosters run the show there. I know a guy who briefly did some athletic fundraising for UCLA. He quit after 6-8 months. Said the entire athletic department is an island from the academic operation and they seem to answer to boosters rather than the president/chancellor.
        That really reminds me of the that old hoops movie "Blue Chips" with Nick Nolte. I believe his school was called Western University but they were quite obviously based on UCLA right down to the colors. That is exactly how their program was run= wealthy donors tabbed as Friends of the Program.

Comment

• Pitt's Justin Champagnie is going to test the waters (not hiring an agent). Very smart move.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post

That really reminds me of the that old hoops movie "Blue Chips" with Nick Nolte. I believe his school was called Western University but they were quite obviously based on UCLA right down to the colors. That is exactly how their program was run= wealthy donors tabbed as Friends of the Program.
            Hey, if you want a freshmen class consisting of Neon Boudeaux, Ricky Roe and Butch McRae ... it's going to cost you.

Comment

• Coulibali in the portal. My goodness.

We have a mutiny in Oakland.

Comment

• After today's news, H2P is down to (4) scharship players still on the roster.

One of those four is likely headed to Shawshank.

If Capel survives this mess, the only option now is to blast the portal. Take hired guns. It's too late to get good high schools kids ... vast majority signed long ago.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Hey, if you want a freshmen class consisting of Neon Boudeaux, Ricky Roe and Butch McRae ... it's going to cost you.
                  What a great movie that was. But NO WAY does Nolte come clean in the presser after the big win. I couldn't buy that. Or maybe he just had had enough and couldn't take anymore. I guess everyone has their breaking point.

Comment

Pitt's Justin Champagnie is going to test the waters (not hiring an agent). Very smart move.
                    Very smart. My guess is that he should be back but who the heck knows at this point. Maybe he will transfer too.

Comment

Very smart. My guess is that he should be back but who the heck knows at this point. Maybe he will transfer too.
                      If he gets a Round One draft grade ... he should go.

If he doesn't, he should transfer. Get off the Titanic and pick any school in the country.

Comment

After today's news, H2P is down to (4) scharship players still on the roster.

One of those four is likely headed to Shawshank.

If Capel survives this mess, the only option now is to blast the portal. Take hired guns. It's too late to get good high schools kids ... vast majority signed long ago.
                        I was utterly shocked to see Karim Coulibaly go into the portal. Maybe he figures he could make more of an impact in the AAC rather than the ACC. He was an okay player but he certainly had problems with high-end ACC centers.

Capel needs to get some transfers but he also needs to be cognizant of the fact that the 2022 high school class is loaded with talent. Looks like they are right back where they started a few years ago. Complete rebuild will be in order if Slam Penny leaves town.

Maybe if he stays they might have a decent line up with Odukale, Sibande, Slam Penny, Jeffress, and Hugley if he gets a work release or furlough from the prison system.

Looks like an absolute hot mess right now in Oakland. Same with the Stillers.

One recruit from '21 making some rounds in Oakland is SG Jaylen Blakes out of Jersey. At this point does it even matter?

But there actually is a LOT of talent to be mined in the portal but I'm not sure who would actually want to come to what can only be termed as a total and complete dumpster fire at the moment.

Comment

• Terrell Brown signed with San Diego

Comment

Terrell Brown signed with San Diego
                            TB will be scratching his head and wondering where the heck the Chargers went.

Winters beside San Diego Bay might be milder than what he had in Oakland.

He was a good dude and I hope the best for him.

Comment

TB will be scratching his head and wondering where the heck the Chargers went.

Winters beside San Diego Bay might be milder than what he had in Oakland.

He was a good dude and I hope the best for him.
                              TB signed with the University of San Diego -- much less glamorous, basketball-wise, than San Diego State. USD should be a good spot for him. He should play heavy minutes.

Comment

TB signed with the University of San Diego -- much less glamorous, basketball-wise, than San Diego State. USD should be a good spot for him. He should play heavy minutes.
                                President at USD is former Edinboro football assistant coach Jim Harris.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X