X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MJ is nothing but a wind up toy!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
      JR is a good guy. A change was probably best for both sides.
      It was disappointing because he did great things at Gannon and hes a great person, but I do think it will end up having been best for both sides. Maybe not for Gannon immediately, but in time. I believe it was tremendous for Coach Reilly immediately and long term. Rid himself of the unnecessary scrutiny and follow a new path.

Hey, mercyhurst has same coach and isn't predicted too much higher than Gannon... I like Gannons chances of proving preseason poll wrong.

Comment

JR is a good guy. A change was probably best for both sides.
        Agree on both accounts. It's hard to last a long time as coach anywhere. It's even harder for a coach that plays an unorthodox style, particularly when his style doesn't please the average fan. It works if you won consistently -- that didn't happen for Reilly.

St. Crutch played an unorthodox style at WLU, but he won year after year and it's fun to watch. The defense-first (and second, third, and maybe fourth) Reilly style is great when he's winning, but it's dreadful playing like that AND playing sub-.500.

The change of scenery will benefit both sides. CBU was picked 10th in their 12-team conference. Will be interesting ... it took until this third year for Reilly to have a good team at Gannon.

Comment

• And it's hilarious that we're (myself included) still talking almost exclusively about Reilly on the Gannon thread. Can't wait for the games to start so that we can talk about the new coach and team!

Comment

• Comment

• I think he'll be using a few different lineups in at least the early going of the season. I see Johnson starting tonight, but not for the season (unless he's greatly worked on his shot and confidence in taking shots). He's a solid backup point guard and if Harewood has improved at all, in my opinion based on performances last year, would be the main point guard.

I'm interested to see what role Webb plays since his position has been changed numerous times on the roster. Initially he was listed as shooting guard, then he was listed as a forward, then small forward and now he's being listed as just "guard". While I know that listing doesn't mean much as game flow could end up having Coach Jefferson playing 5 "guards" at one time... but the fact that it's been changed makes me curious to see him and Coach Jefferson's "style".

Comment

• Did a lot better than I thought they would.

Comment

• Originally posted by bballfan03 View Post
                  So apparently Indiana couldn't be bothered to offer live stats for this game and Gannon didn't take their own? Bummer
                  They had them. Gannon hung around for the first half ... down about 30-some now pretty late.

Comment

They had them. Gannon hung around for the first half ... down about 30-some now pretty late.
                    Yeah I found them late. The link kept saying game ID not found, but I found it through the root site.

Comment

Olawoye not starting wasn't a shocker, but a frosh shooting guard was. Cisero off bench also surprised me. I was thinking a lineup of Johnson, Webb, Ogbuagu, Cisero and Tertsea.

Wonder if the real tall kid (#24) is redshirting... was hoping to see him get some time to see what he could do.

Valerias could be a nice factor if he can consistently hit from range and grab some boards.

Comment

• Regardless of Indiana's height, I don't think you can play three big guys (Ogbuagu, Cisero and Tertsea) at the same time with Webb at the shooting guard and Johnson at PG. None of those big guys can play the 3, and Webb is not a shooting guard.

The actual starters - Johnson at PG, Clancy at SG, Webb at 3, Dodds at 4 and Tertsea at 5 - suggests very little offense, and its no surprise those 5 starters scored a total of 19 points for the entire game.

Probably not a good idea for the frosh guard Clancy's confidence to throw him into the fire his first game at Indiana on the road. He had an 0-fer. As did Dodds, who also started.

Like last year, Gannon shot 36% from the field. Gannon also got out-rebounded 39-25 which, although not a surprise considering the taller Indiana, Reilly's teams were rarely out-rebounded by 14 ever. You really can't be competitive against anyone shooting 36% and getting out-rebounded by 14. And, Indiana shot 53% from the field so defense struggled as well.

It's early, but the Indiana game did not tell us much about Jefferson's new guys.

Comment

• I wouldn't take too much out of it. They won't play a team near that talent level all year. First game. New coach. Assembly Hall. It's a glorified practice. Nothing more.

Scary thing is two of Indiana's starting guards didn't dress due to minor injuries.

Comment

I wouldn't take too much out of it. They won't play a team near that talent level all year. First game. New coach. Assembly Hall. It's a glorified practice. Nothing more.

Scary thing is two of Indiana's starting guards didn't dress due to minor injuries.
                            While not much can really be applied to regular season expectations, it was a little disappointing to see a fairly stagnant offense. At times, it looked a lot like last year's team... just shooting a bit more and not hustling/crashing the boards as much. Hopefully, because Coach did say that the rotations last night were more than likely not going to be a regular thing, the season will show otherwise. But it did make me wonder... how much can a new coach and a few new players really change a team that is essentially the same as last year?

Comment

• Originally posted by PSACwatcher View Post
                              Regardless of Indiana's height, I don't think you can play three big guys (Ogbuagu, Cisero and Tertsea) at the same time with Webb at the shooting guard and Johnson at PG. None of those big guys can play the 3, and Webb is not a shooting guard.

The actual starters - Johnson at PG, Clancy at SG, Webb at 3, Dodds at 4 and Tertsea at 5 - suggests very little offense, and its no surprise those 5 starters scored a total of 19 points for the entire game.

Probably not a good idea for the frosh guard Clancy's confidence to throw him into the fire his first game at Indiana on the road. He had an 0-fer. As did Dodds, who also started.

Like last year, Gannon shot 36% from the field. Gannon also got out-rebounded 39-25 which, although not a surprise considering the taller Indiana, Reilly's teams were rarely out-rebounded by 14 ever. You really can't be competitive against anyone shooting 36% and getting out-rebounded by 14. And, Indiana shot 53% from the field so defense struggled as well.

It's early, but the Indiana game did not tell us much about Jefferson's new guys.
                              I can't think of any lineup that would be a "great" lineup. Ogbuagu has played a mix of the 3 and 4 spots in his time at Gannon... he can't shoot like a 3 and, with the size of some of these guys, it may be rough for him at the 4 at times. Johnson running the point pretty much makes it 4v5 when Gannon is on offense. Maybe Harewood, Olawoye, Webb, Cisero and Tertsea would be the best offensive group... just don't know about the overall defensive ability and that's giving up a lot of height to other teams who have bigger guards.
                              POS Starter Substitute
                              PG Harewood Johnson
                              SG Olawoye Colosimo/Clancy/Horsford
                              SF Webb Olawoye/Clancy
                              PF Cisero Ogbuagu/Walker
                              C Tertsea Dodds/Valerias

Comment

• Originally posted by bballfan03 View Post

While not much can really be applied to regular season expectations, it was a little disappointing to see a fairly stagnant offense. At times, it looked a lot like last year's team... just shooting a bit more and not hustling/crashing the boards as much. Hopefully, because Coach did say that the rotations last night were more than likely not going to be a regular thing, the season will show otherwise. But it did make me wonder... how much can a new coach and a few new players really change a team that is essentially the same as last year?
                                It doesn't happen overnight. It's hard to implement a new system with players specifically recruited to play the JR style. It's hard to really evaluate much under at least the conclusion of the second season. He did sign four freshmen which tells me he's going to build it from the ground up rather than taking the heavy transfer route. That will take 2-3 years to prosper.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X