Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At the end of the first half FSU drains a 3 and leads 49-47 in the Mon Valley.. Very even game with few fouls called. ALSTON has 21 for CALU, SANDERS 18 for FSU..

Final...CALU--92. FSU--95 good game decided by 3s with the FALCONS hitting 11-28 against the VULCANS 7-23. CAL controlled the bds 48-35 which is unusual for them. FSU led bench points 27-9. Fr. BRYCE LUCAS managed to foul out in 19 minutes but I like his game. On to SHIP on Tuesday.
    Last edited by CALUPA69; 11-18-2021, 08:32 PM.

Comment

That was high level basketball by both teams.
      i was shocked by low attendance. Is that common?

Comment

Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
        That was high level basketball by both teams.
        i was shocked by low attendance. Is that common?
        Sadly it's the norm which, IMO, is why we attract good players on a visit and lose them when no one shows up. HAMER HALL was a much nicer basketball venue and was regularly 60-90% full with 3500 capacity. Now and again they play there when the CONVOCATION CENTER is otherwise occupied and the players seem to enjoy it. Ah well.

Comment

After tonight's squeaker at Ship I think it's fair to say this season will not be good for my blood pressure but as opposed to '19-'20 version these Sancomb VULCANS will have the skills and players to win a significant number of close games. As someone mentioned elsewhere the feel of a DS MEC team is very noticeable. With any luck when IUP shows up at the ANGELO DOME on 1/5 (Wednesday ???) they'll be facing the best opposition they've had in many years. If the injury bug doesn't strike.
          I'll assume a consistent level of play from the 3 of Pegram, Boswell and Alston. Hope that early play of Palek, Collins, Lucas and Slaughter continues. And the mix is good enough to survive 11 games in January including 6 on the road.

Comment

If anyone cares to hear DS when he's not screaming.....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EaRP7d...ature=youtu.be

Comment

VULCANS in trouble at ESU trail 44-56 at the half. Stats are relatively the same except CAL isn't getting enough shots off. DS is not a happy man.

Bad loss to ESU, 82-89, due to 3pt shooting, 6-20 vs 12-31 and horrible ball handling 22 TO - 12 resulting in 4-20 deficit in POTO. Gonna be a grim ride home. Now hit the books for finals and get ready for 1-8 CARLOW 12/15, 5-2 WCU 12/18 and 6-1 MILL 12/19 all at the ANGELO DOME. Hopefully take 2-3 at least but not nearly as certain as I was.
              Last edited by CALUPA69; 12-04-2021, 08:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
                VULCANS in trouble at ESU trail 44-56 at the half. Stats are relatively the same except CAL isn't getting enough shots off. DS is not a happy man.

Bad loss to ESU, 82-89, due to 3pt shooting, 6-20 vs 12-31 and horrible ball handling 22 TO - 12 resulting in 4-20 deficit in POTO. Gonna be a grim ride home. Now hit the books for finals and get ready for 1-8 CARLOW 12/15, 5-2 WCU 12/18 and 6-1 MILL 12/19 all at the ANGELO DOME. Hopefully take 2-3 at least but not nearly as certain as I was.
                ESU deserves a bit of credit. They are still forcing turnovers, and when they shoot well, can be a tough opponent for almost anyone. They're missing 2 starters right now, so these wins this weekend were HUGE.

Brent Pegram needs to shut his mouth. He was talking trash at Bloomsburg Friday night, and got a quick Technical foul on Saturday, and it clearly took him out of his game. You don't score with your mouth. .

Comment

Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post

ESU deserves a bit of credit. They are still forcing turnovers, and when they shoot well, can be a tough opponent for almost anyone. They're missing 2 starters right now, so these wins this weekend were HUGE.

Brent Pegram needs to shut his mouth. He was talking trash at Bloomsburg Friday night, and got a quick Technical foul on Saturday, and it clearly took him out of his game. You don't score with your mouth. .
                  BP is a sort of DS MINI ME so I wouldn't look for either to stop talking any time soon. Obviously whomever causes the TOs gets credit, but if CAL is going to be competitive they MUST win every game where they have an advantage such as two opposing players not being available. The game was there for the taking and ESU took it which is unacceptable from a VULCANS MBB fan's pov.

Comment

ESU is a good team that is struggling to recover from a bad start. 0-3 is hard to recover from any way you cut it.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

ESU is a good team that is struggling to recover from a bad start. 0-3 is hard to recover from any way you cut it.
                      Also hard to win when your leader, BP, has his career worst game going 0-8 FG, 1-5 FT and 7 TO. I guess my point was in a long season you'll have legit loses which are acceptable if unpleasant, but you must win virtually all winnable games. This game was winnable so congrats to ESU for winning one they shouldn't have.

Comment

Also hard to win when your leader, BP, has his career worst game going 0-8 FG, 1-5 FT and 7 TO. I guess my point was in a long season you'll have legit loses which are acceptable if unpleasant, but you must win virtually all winnable games. This game was winnable so congrats to ESU for winning one they shouldn't have.
                        Yep...Losing a game you feel like you should win is tough. Particularly tough when your lead dog has a 0-fer game...Just THREE baskets and one more free through and if would have all been different!

A team can be pretty good if they win all the games they should win, go 500 in the pick-um games and steal one vs a team they are expected to lose to.

Comment

Hey, you picked up a win at Ship that was very winnable for the Raiders. Our best player has yet to play. Win some, lose some.

Comment

Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Hey, you picked up a win at Ship that was very winnable for the Raiders. Our best player has yet to play. Win some, lose some.
                            Exactly the point !! You become an elite team by winning every game you should, splitting the pick-ems and stealing where you can. So far this season we stole the SHIP game and gave back the edge by losing at ESU. I really wanted to be+1 going into games with WCU, MILL, KUTZ and IUP. But that's history. Now they have to steal another from those 4.

Comment

Exactly the point !! You become an elite team by winning every game you should, splitting the pick-ems and stealing where you can. So far this season we stole the SHIP game and gave back the edge by losing at ESU. I really wanted to be+1 going into games with WCU, MILL, KUTZ and IUP. But that's history. Now they have to steal another from those 4.
                              Agreed, but the thing is I'm not going to say California won a game "they shouldn't have" against Ship. We didn't have Biss, shot poorly, and had a couple of TOs at crucial times. That was a winnable game for Ship, but I also have to acknowledge that on that night Cal was better, so they should have won. There are dozens of possessions in basketball games, and a loss is usually the accumulation of a variety of mistakes or bad plays over the course of a game. East Stroud won the other night because they played better than you did. Maybe you'd beat them on another night. They're not usually an easy team to play against, and they can make an opponent play ugly basketball. You might beat them by 20 on one night and lose to them the next time you play them.

Comment

Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Agreed, but the thing is I'm not going to say California won a game "they shouldn't have" against Ship. We didn't have Biss, shot poorly, and had a couple of TOs at crucial times. That was a winnable game for Ship, but I also have to acknowledge that on that night Cal was better, so they should have won. There are dozens of possessions in basketball games, and a loss is usually the accumulation of a variety of mistakes or bad plays over the course of a game. East Stroud won the other night because they played better than you did. Maybe you'd beat them on another night. They're not usually an easy team to play against, and they can make an opponent play ugly basketball. You might beat them by 20 on one night and lose to them the next time you play them.
                                Actually the VULCANS recent history versus both SHIP and ESU is bad so the opportunity, due to missing opponents, to steal a couple ended up a wash which doesn't help the VULCANS Renaissance. Still crawling before a walk.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X