Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post

Interesting point. A lot of our commentators have begun to point out how some traditionally weak schools such as SHU, LHU, WVWU etc are going to become feeder schools to the WLU and IUP's of the world. Well given the player that Ryan Hawkins (NWMSU/CREIGHTON) turned out to be and the potential for Alston to contribute a lot to the right team, how long will it be before the top D2 schools start losing some talent to D1s in need of one missing part for one or two seasons.
    Keep in mind of lot of these 'D1 hopefuls' in the portal will be dragging their tails back to D2 in a month.

Comment

• Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

Keep in mind of lot of these 'D1 hopefuls' in the portal will be dragging their tails back to D2 in a month.
      I'd say the large majority. But I think, if the response to PA's availability is an indication, the usefulness of game ready D1capable players to an "almost there" team will become more, not less, common as time goes by.

Comment

I'd say the large majority. But I think, if the response to PA's availability is an indication, the usefulness of game ready D1capable players to an "almost there" team will become more, not less, common as time goes by.
        No doubt Phil is gone.

He checks all the boxes and then some.

But your typical 6'3" guard is a dime a dozen up a level.

Dale Bonner types are exceptions but there aren't many.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scrub View Post

I know you're just trying to troll Boat here, but you're not wrong. Some of these are very much expected (Powell/Watson not getting the minutes, Yoakum graduating and moving on, etc.). But others are a bit more surprising (Robinson & Satterfield to name two). And I have to say that it is slightly troubling. It might be a signal that there needs to be a sea-change regarding how to use the redshirt. It may not be an effective tool anymore if it fails to accomplish the goal of developing a player (because instead of developing he just leaves!).

Tough offseason for the Toppers. But like you said about Gary up in Erie, I do suspect Howlett will regroup quickly. He certainly did when Crutch left and a few major pieces left with him (including MEC Freshman of the Year Dave Dennis, Beau Justice, and at-that-time-star-recruit Nick Smith who is now the engine driving Nova's run). After that exodus, Howlett reloaded right away. Hope that's true once again!
          Fyi Beau Justice left while Crutch was coaching and became all american.

Robinson and yoakum are grad transfers, who likely will try d1, like bolon before them.
          The wlu style requires that players develop to be a complete player in skill, physical development and decision- making. Great requirement if you want to play after college.

Those who don't get minutes have gaps in their game that need to be closed to get minutes at wlu. The gaps were fairly obvious among Watson, Powell and Satterfield.
          It might have taken a year of being a gym rat and hard work to close the gap, with no promise of future stardom.

In today's culture, not just in basketball, paying one's dues is passe'. (Spadafora is a notable exception). These players have talent, so I expect them to be successfull quickly at other schools, playing a different style that can overlook or compensate for their areas of improvement.

I have seen great players graduate or leave where I wondered how would we replace them? Since wlu recruits great scorers (many are also gym rats), the gaps get filled. It is the strength of the wlu system.
          Departures don't bother me. There are many great players waiting for the chance to play this style.

Comment

No doubt Phil is gone.

He checks all the boxes and then some.

But your typical 6'3" guard is a dime a dozen up a level.

Dale Bonner types are exceptions but there aren't many.
            As I thought I indicated the top players who leave AND are successful will be rare. However, given the momentous change that the TP is, versus the previous system, I do expect D1 CAPABLE players will be less likely to play out their college careers in the obscurity of D2.

Comment

As I thought I indicated the top players who leave AND are successful will be rare. However, given the momentous change that the TP is, versus the previous system, I do expect D1 CAPABLE players will be less likely to play out their college careers in the obscurity of D2.
              Yup. There aren't a ton of guys at that level in D2 (there's a reason most are playing in the PSAC and not the ACC or Big Ten), but I think there's more than a few out there. Dustin Sleva and Justin Macarthur from Ship have both played pro ball in Europe and I'm sure could have played at lower-level Division I a couple of years back if they'd decided to do so. There have certainly been examples on other PSAC teams. And the transfer culture has changed over the past few years.

Comment

• Listened to interesting interview with head coach of Drexel re: portal.
                Key points:
                1. Contingency planning occurring continuously for each existing player, as they might not tell you in advance of leaving.
                2. Need to care about players outside of basketball.
                3. Young folks don't understand there are far more people in portal than openings. Reason is once a player leaves, it opens doors to more sources for replacement, such as:
                . - juco
                - high school
                . - other d1
                - d2 moving up
                . - international

4. Each year coach has to re-recruit existing roster to get them to stay.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Yup. There aren't a ton of guys at that level in D2 (there's a reason most are playing in the PSAC and not the ACC or Big Ten), but I think there's more than a few out there. Dustin Sleva and Justin Macarthur from Ship have both played pro ball in Europe and I'm sure could have played at lower-level Division I a couple of years back if they'd decided to do so. There have certainly been examples on other PSAC teams. And the transfer culture has changed over the past few years.
                  Sleva could have went up for his senior season.

No doubt.

Comment

• Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post
                    Listened to interesting interview with head coach of Drexel re: portal.
                    Key points:
                    1. Contingency planning occurring continuously for each existing player, as they might not tell you in advance of leaving.
                    2. Need to care about players outside of basketball.
                    3. Young folks don't understand there are far more people in portal than openings. Reason is once a player leaves, it opens doors to more sources for replacement, such as:
                    . - juco
                    - high school
                    . - other d1
                    - d2 moving up
                    . - international

4. Each year coach has to re-recruit existing roster to get them to stay.

Best funded programs probably are hiring graduate assistants to monitor and report on the critical few players who may be considering walking. Players 1-9 with eligibility left need to be the focus. Players 10-16 are viewed as replaceable parts.
                    This is about the third or fourth non basketball task that HCs have become responsible for. Coaching sure isn't what it used to be.

Comment

• Dylin Borden / Cal

Comment

Best funded programs probably are hiring graduate assistants to monitor and report on the critical few players who may be considering walking. Players 1-9 with eligibility left need to be the focus. Players 10-16 are viewed as replaceable parts.
                        This is about the third or fourth non basketball task that HCs have become responsible for. Coaching sure isn't what it used to be.
                        Thanks. I forgot that. Someone's job is just to constantly monitor portal at Drexel. Feeds into constantly evolving contingency plan.

Comment

Dylin Borden / Cal
                          Meh.....DJ SLAUGHTER had edged him out of the 4 guard rotation (Pegram, Boswell, Collins) and he could either read the writing or was told explicitly that his PT wasn't happening. Slaughter is potentially valuable as a lure for his HS classmate, Jayden Hibbett formerly of WVWU.

Comment

Sleva could have went up for his senior season.

No doubt.
                            Many players COULD, but is it really worth moving your entire life for one year?

Comment

• Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post

Many players COULD, but is it really worth moving your entire life for one year?
                              From the number of players who are on this list with just one year left, close to a majority, the answer is apparently, yes. As time goes by and the end results of the TP experience become apparent, I'd guess that number will drop a lot. Beyond what the players want, which coach really wants to disrupt team unity by bringing in a short term outsider. Possible exception would be the Preston Boswell type who have a previous relationship with the coach.

Comment

• Originally posted by WarriorVoice View Post

If it's in the P5 -- and, they are actually going to play -- yes, it is certainly worth it to most. They leave the bus leagues for a year and play on the big stage -- with all the off-court perks that follow. Even the high mid-majors are a significant upgrade in play, perks, environments, etc.

Going from a PSAC star to a 'D1' such as Robert Morris ... well, ... different discussion -- and likely not worth the transition.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X