Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

I think ESU vs Mercy is going to be must-see TV. Little known fact: the Warriors are Lakers' Kryptonite. They've beat Manchel 4 of the past 5 games. Their two stud bigs are going to cause Mercyhurst's smaller lineup all sorts of issues.

I'd say in order of Saturday entertainment:

1. ESU/Mercy - Warriors had their funk but they are very good. Mercyhurst is, too.
    2. VU/FSU - VU won h2h in OT earlier this year. Very different styles. FSU bigs better be ready for a war.
    3. IUP/WSSU - Likely closer than the game in November
    4. WL/UPJ - If Kromka plays, it could be close for a half but UPJ will be gassed in the second half.
    Yeah, I noticed that even though Porterfield is somewhat slowed by his injury problem Mercyhurst had no answer for him when he got down low. Even in a "let 'em play" game he was also able to get one of Mercyhurst's few bigs, Pip Ajayi, in foul trouble. Porterfield and Sulaiman on the boards also kept the ball alive for IUP on several crucial possessions late in the game.

Comment

Buckle up....WSSU is ready!

Comment

Originally posted by krober34 View Post
        Buckle up....WSSU is ready!
        Good

Comment

ESU and Mercyhurst didn't play this year.

They did play last season, with ESU winning (in Erie) 85-72.

What's interesting is we saw a much different ESU against IUP this past weekend. They essentially tried to play IUP's speed and game. Will they do that again against Mercyhurst or will they play their normal up-tempo?
          Even though they didn't play this year, the point still stands: they're no strangers to each other.

And yes, it was a real gamble for Wilson to play IUP's speed, but because of his dynamic bigs, he almost got away with it. It'll be really interesting to see if he uses the same strategy against Hurst.

Edit to add: it was especially interesting for a WLU fan to see that. Howlett never really goes away from the bread and butter (much to Boat's dismay). Even when the WLU system is clearly not built to beat a particular team (cf. NWMSU -- although I'm not sure anyone was built to beat them that year with Hawkins, Hudgins, & Bernard), there is no alternative for WLU. Howlett will certainly make adjustments to the system, but there never seems to be any consideration of outright abandoning it. Wilson showed he's willing to try to win in a completely different manner yesterday. The fact that he got so close while doing so is certainly interesting for some WLU fans to note.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrub View Post

Even though they didn't play this year, the point still stands: they're no strangers to each other.

And yes, it was a real gamble for Wilson to play IUP's speed, but because of his dynamic bigs, he almost got away with it. It'll be really interesting to see if he uses the same strategy against Hurst.

Edit to add: it was especially interesting for a WLU fan to see that. Howlett never really goes away from the bread and butter (much to Boat's dismay). Even when the WLU system is clearly not built to beat a particular team (cf. NWMSU -- although I'm not sure anyone was built to beat them that year with Hawkins, Hudgins, & Bernard), there is no alternative for WLU. Howlett will certainly make adjustments to the system, but there never seems to be any consideration of outright abandoning it. Wilson showed he's willing to try to win in a completely different manner yesterday. The fact that he got so close while doing so is certainly interesting for some WLU fans to note.
            The question wasn't asked to Joe but I think it certainly caught IUP off guard. You go in to a game against an ESU or WL expecting the craziness and then Saturday all the sudden it wasn't there.

Pepin and McAliley are a nightmare duo to play against. Pepin is 6'7" and I'd guess 230 lbs. McAliley is about the same height and maybe 240 lbs. They are both lightning fast, very powerful, tough to rebound against and handle the ball really well. They both run the floor well, too.

Pepin had 17 and 12 against IUP on Saturday. McAliley had 19 and 5.

ESU's guards are also big. Size-wise, they were the toughest match-up IUP had all season.

They have better size than Mercyhurst (which is a pretty small team) but also the speed to keep up with the Lakers. It's going to be an entertaining one.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrub View Post

Wilson has shown some ability to adjust in the past. When Ship had a pair of good guards last season, the Raiders actually took two of three games from ESU largely by beating them at their own running game. But the one ESU won was a 59-55 grinder at Ship. I think Wilson has had some better pressing teams in the past, but Pepin and McAliley give him the ability to go halfcourt to a greater extent this season. I think he was aware the IUP's talent at guard with Jones, Morris, Dillard, etc. would be able to handle his press. He'd already seen proof of that in their regular season loss to IUP. His two bigs played well in the second matchup, and a stronger game from some of the ESU supporting cast (Justin Paz, the principal ESU guard, had a subpar game) might have enabled the Warriors to pull off a win.

Comment

The townies fill the place all year (not the students). Business as usual.

Biggest difference on Regional weekend is they add a press row, full length of court, across from the benches. Also, no reserved seats. It's all general admission. The KCAC also cannot sell alcohol for these games per NCAA rules.
                They can't play their own music either. So we won't see Joe walking out to Dream On.

Comment

Originally posted by IUP24 View Post

They can't play their own music either. So we won't see Joe walking out to Dream On.
                  Lady in Red is again the front-runner.

Comment

Lady in Red is again the front-runner.
                    I'm pissed just by you writing that.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

I'm pissed just by you writing that.
                      LOL I will never forget that in my life. The host team comes out on Regional Sunday to Lady in Red. What a shock they played flat and lost.

Comment

LOL I will never forget that in my life. The host team comes out on Regional Sunday to Lady in Red. What a shock they played flat and lost.
                        I was in the popcorn line for my wife when it was playing. I'll never forget that IUP moment.

Comment

ESU and Mercyhurst didn't play this year.

They did play last season, with ESU winning (in Erie) 85-72.

What's interesting is we saw a much different ESU against IUP this past weekend. They essentially tried to play IUP's speed and game. Will they do that again against Mercyhurst or will they play their normal up-tempo?
                          Wouldn't be surprised if they went slow again. Have only seen Mercyhurst play a couple of times this year (one was on Sunday), but they look as if they'd be a hard team to press, and if you press them and don't get back quickly you're in danger of giving them open 3s, which doesn't seem like a good idea. And I think Pepin and McAliley could be a load for the Hurst to handle on the boards. They're somewhat smaller than the IUP Porterfield-Sulaiman combo, but are very active when they're on their game. Has the potential to be a good one.

Comment

A look back to earlier this season ... three of the games this Saturday are rematches. Not that games played months ago matter much ... but, we got a week to kill here.

Dec. 30

Fairmont State at Virginia Union

The Falcons led by 7 points at the half, but Virginia Union stormed back in the final 20 minutes to tie the game. By OT standards, a really frantic 5 minutes followed. The teams combined for 27 points in the extra session. VU ultimately prevailed for an 88-83 win.

Of note, Virginia Union clobbered FSU on the boards, 55-34. However, Fairmont State hit 7 more three-pointers. FSU really struggled with VU post players Robert Osborne and Raemaad Wright -- two big, physical forwards. The Falcons had a very balanced attack with (6) players scoring in double figures.

Nov. 18

Pitt-Johnstown at West Liberty

The Mountain Cats didn't get blown out in either half, losing the first half by 9 points and the second half by 8 points -- resulting in a 93-76 road loss. Interesting stat: UPJ was able to grab just (3) offensive rebounds the entire game. Pitt-Johnstown star John Paul Kromka was held in check (by his usual standards) and finished with just 12 and 6. Malik McKinney led West Liberty with 24 points.

Nov. 13

IUP vs. Winston-Salem State (played on a neutral court at Clarion)

IUP stormed out to a commanding 37-22 lead at the half but won the second half by just two -- ultimately ending in a 67-50 Crimson Hawks win. IUP star power forward Tomiwa Sulaiman played just 16 uneventful minutes due to foul trouble. Shawndale Jones and Ethan Porterfield led the way with 20 and 19 points.

IUP was beat up on the boards -- Sulaiman sitting for 24 minutes didn't help in battling WSSU's 6'10" duo underneath -- to the tune of 44-33. The difference in the game was WSSU shot horribly in the first half -- 29% from the field and 16% from deep. For the day, they were held to 3 of 19 from outside and just 31% from the field. Jaylen Alston had a big game, finishing with 18 points and 13 rebounds. It turned out to be WSSU's second-lowest scoring performance of the season. Their lowest was actually a win, defeating Virginia Union on Feb. 24 by the score of 45-44.

Comment

Originally posted by Ship69 View Post

Wouldn't be surprised if they went slow again. Have only seen Mercyhurst play a couple of times this year (one was on Sunday), but they look as if they'd be a hard team to press, and if you press them and don't get back quickly you're in danger of giving them open 3s, which doesn't seem like a good idea. And I think Pepin and McAliley could be a load for the Hurst to handle on the boards. They're somewhat smaller than the IUP Porterfield-Sulaiman combo, but are very active when they're on their game. Has the potential to be a good one.
                              That's a real tough call.

I certainly agree Pepin and McAliley are going to cause major problems -- and likely get the Lakers' only true big man (Pipeloluwa Ajayi) in first half foul trouble. They get real small real fast when he's out of the game.

Mercyhurst lives and dies with the deep shot (most nights). ESU defended the trey really well last weekend -- not playing their typical game.

The Lakers have better guards -- and better scoring guards. ESU has the two-headed monster underneath.

Wilson caught IUP off guard. If anything, he's given Manchel a lot to prepare for this week.

The other side of the coin here is Manchel has to make a match-up decision. The Lakers typically play 4 guards and one big (and their second big is a good player but only 6'4"). Will he want to alter things and play both post players together much more than they typically do (like IUP forced them to do in spurts this past weekend)? Mercyhurst is usually faster than most teams with their lineup. That won't be the case against ESU.

This is the game of the day in my opinion. Chess match.

Comment

That's a real tough call.

I certainly agree Pepin and McAliley are going to cause major problems -- and likely get the Lakers' only true big man (Pipeloluwa Ajayi) in first half foul trouble. They get real small real fast when he's out of the game.

Mercyhurst lives and dies with the deep shot (most nights). ESU defended the trey really well last weekend -- not playing their typical game.

The Lakers have better guards -- and better scoring guards. ESU has the two-headed monster underneath.

Wilson caught IUP off guard. If anything, he's given Manchel a lot to prepare for this week.

The other side of the coin here is Manchel has to make a match-up decision. The Lakers typically play 4 guards and one big (and their second big is a good player but only 6'4"). Will he want to alter things and play both post players together much more than they typically do (like IUP forced them to do in spurts this past weekend)? Mercyhurst is usually faster than most teams with their lineup. That won't be the case against ESU.

This is the game of the day in my opinion. Chess match.
                                Drives me nuts that the best game is game 1.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X