X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The NEW Official Thread of the Augustana Vikings

Originally posted by laker View Post
    Steven Bruce‏ @mnbuckets 1m1 minute ago

Wow, big news out of Yankton SD just now. New Head Men's Basketball Coach at Mt Marty will be Cody Schilling. He'll be fantastic!
    Exciting for Cody and the Schilling family. I suppose now that their Augie careers are over (a sad fact of reality), the Schilling clan needed a new school to support wholeheartedly. Look forward to seeing what Cody is able to accomplish in his coaching career.

Comment

As Augieholic noted in the 2017 Recruiting thread, Flandreau, SD's Dylan LeBrun appears to have committed to Augie. To contradict our resident high school talent expert, simple as a $3 bill, I really like this Dylan LeBrun commitment for the Vikes. Everything I've read/heard about LeBrun is VERY positive. Not finding a ton of in-game footage of him, but here are at least a couple of tweets/videos:

And here's an old article about him from the Argus during his sophomore season: http://www.argusleader.com/story/spo...daf089f54ee3c5

LeBrun was first-team all-state for class A in South Dakota this past year. Also, as a junior, he broke the career scoring record for Flandreau last February. I believe the Prep Hoops guys have given him several glowing write-ups as well. Should be fun to follow his senior year this next season.

Comment

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
        As Augieholic noted in the 2017 Recruiting thread, Flandreau, SD's Dylan LeBrun appears to have committed to Augie. To contradict our resident high school talent expert, simple as a $3 bill, I really like this Dylan LeBrun commitment for the Vikes. Everything I've read/heard about LeBrun is VERY positive. Not finding a ton of in-game footage of him, but here are at least a couple of tweets/videos:

And here's an old article about him from the Argus during his sophomore season: http://www.argusleader.com/story/spo...daf089f54ee3c5

LeBrun was first-team all-state for class A in South Dakota this past year. Also, as a junior, he broke the career scoring record for Flandreau last February. I believe the Prep Hoops guys have given him several glowing write-ups as well. Should be fun to follow his senior year this next season.
        I'm sure the kid is talented but the defender in the first video looked like a penguin walking backwards.

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post
          I'm sure the kid is talented but the defender in the first video looked like a penguin walking backwards.
          Some penguins have incredible athleticism.

Comment

As Augieholic noted in the 2017 Recruiting thread, Flandreau, SD's Dylan LeBrun appears to have committed to Augie. To contradict our resident high school talent expert, simple as a $3 bill, I really like this Dylan LeBrun commitment for the Vikes.
            I'll tell you what, you gather up the Top 10 SD kids and I'll gather up the Top 10 MN kids and lets play. I'll give you 2-1 odds and you can name the amount.

Comment

Originally posted by simple as a $3 bill View Post
              I'll tell you what, you gather up the Top 10 SD kids and I'll gather up the Top 10 MN kids and lets play. I'll give you 2-1 odds and you can name the amount.
              Too bad the top ten in Minnesota go bigger D1, so while saying Minnesota is more talented is true, you have to look kid vs. kid when talking of NSIC recruiting.

Comment

Some penguins have incredible athleticism.
                Good point. The ones from Madagascar are fairly freakish.

Comment

Originally posted by simple as a $3 bill View Post
                  Contrary to what you may be thinking, I'm not a complete idiot. I recognize that the top kids in each state are obviously different. But, in a move that surprises me as much as anyone else, NSU4LIFE and I are basically on the same page. When it comes to kids who actually end up in the NSIC, I won't be shocked if some of the more consistently strong programs, like Augie, have 4-5 South Dakota kids (possibly even 6-8) who are key players on their roster. The talent level is getting better in South Dakota, as you can see when teams like the South Dakota Attack win the Great Plains Invitational 16u division championship over several talented Minnesota schools featuring kids with either D1 or multiple NSIC offers.

Not saying a team made up of the top 3-4 South Dakota kids every year will win the D1 National Championship in the next year or two, but in terms of competitive D2 talent, I think they are really evening things up at a rapid rate.

Comment

Contrary to what you may be thinking, I'm not a complete idiot. I recognize that the top kids in each state are obviously different. But, in a move that surprises me as much as anyone else, NSU4LIFE and I are basically on the same page. When it comes to kids who actually end up in the NSIC, I won't be shocked if some of the more consistently strong programs, like Augie, have 4-5 South Dakota kids (possibly even 6-8) who are key players on their roster. The talent level is getting better in South Dakota, as you can see when teams like the South Dakota Attack win the Great Plains Invitational 16u division championship over several talented Minnesota schools featuring kids with either D1 or multiple NSIC offers.

Not saying a team made up of the top 3-4 South Dakota kids every year will win the D1 National Championship in the next year or two, but in terms of competitive D2 talent, I think they are really evening things up at a rapid rate.
                    I can throw anything aside to stand up and fight for the great 605. I may live in Minnesota but I'll never love hockey and I think the Loon is an obnoxious bird, so I'll never be full Minnesotan haha

Comment

A number of top mn teams did not play in Great Plains Alliance. Also don't believe their were very many MN 16U kids with scholarship offers (D1 or D2) at that tourney. Maybe a couple kids.

Comment

Originally posted by Moorhead123 View Post
                        A number of top mn teams did not play in Great Plains Alliance. Also don't believe their were very many MN 16U kids with scholarship offers (D1 or D2) at that tourney. Maybe a couple kids.
                        I stand corrected. I guess some of those guys do a better job of hyping these tournaments up on Twitter and everything than I realized.

To be clear, I knew that a number of those top of the top 17u Minnesota AAU teams like Howard Pulley and D1 Minnesota weren't in this. But I got the impression that several of the 16u teams we're pretty solid. I guess I'm mistaken. I suppose those programs all have 16u teams too, so I should have realized the competition probably wasn't quite as strong as I was thinking.

Comment

I stand corrected. I guess some of those guys do a better job of hyping these tournaments up on Twitter and everything than I realized.

To be clear, I knew that a number of those top of the top 17u Minnesota AAU teams like Howard Pulley and D1 Minnesota weren't in this. But I got the impression that several of the 16u teams we're pretty solid. I guess I'm mistaken. I suppose those programs all have 16u teams too, so I should have realized the competition probably wasn't quite as strong as I was thinking.
                          The way it seems to be working for MN AAU, at the 17U level, is that Howard Pulley and the top D1 Minnesota teams have the high major D1 players. If you want to play in the Big Ten, etc. you should probably play for one of those two teams. The top Comets and Fury teams generally have a few D1 guys (more mid-major guys) and numerous D2 guys. Comets typically 2-4 metro kids with remainder northern outstate kids. Fury typically more metro kids and some southern outstate kids. Then there are always two or three other teams each year (e.g., MN powerhouse this year, MN warriors last year, etc) that are very good (kids have played AAU together for years) and have numerous scholarship level players. I would bet those top 5-7 teams probably have 75%+ of the scholarships granted to players over the past 5-10 years. MN firmly on radar of college coaches today. Wasn't necessarily that way 5-10 years ago. I'm guessing a strong class has 35-50 scholarship kids. A week class 20-30 scholarship kids. I know the 16u class has some solid teams/kids, but no real size in the entire class.

AAU teams below the 17U are not as formalized. Probably too much useless info, but figured I'd throw out there anyway.

Comment

OK- did Florida Atlantic steal this from Augie? Or the G's from Bemidji? Or both?

From Reddit CFB:

FAU is using a motto "Owl In," which makes sense, but the hashtag is #owlin, which comes off as:
                            🎵they see me owlin', they hatin'...🎵

Comment

OK- did Florida Atlantic steal this from Augie? Or the G's from Bemidji? Or both?

From Reddit CFB:

FAU is using a motto "Owl In," which makes sense, but the hashtag is #owlin, which comes off as:
                              Patrollin'...they trynna catch me flyin' dirty

Comment

From Reddit CFB:

It was probably a group effort. "We like the 'Augie All-In' thing they do in South Dakota...but let's make it 'owl-in'...but then how do we make it cool? Maybe there are some horrible, terrible rappers from Bemidji, Minnesota we can get some inspiration from..."

In my head, that's how the entire conversation went.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X