Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The NEW Official Thread of the Augustana Vikings

Originally posted by MrAugustana View Post
    Got a little bored and did some more searching on Jaeden King. Liked this one:

Between King, incoming freshman Matt Cartwright and 2018 commit A.J. Plitzuweit, we could have some pretty salty long-range shooters for the next several years.

Also discovered that King's highlight reel (from a few posts ago) is actually from before his sophomore year. Didn't realize it was from Oct. 2016 until just now. I'd imagine his shot will continue to get quicker/smoother over the next two years.
    King should be very good college player. High ceiling. Augustana's future is bright without a doubt. Truly believe that Augustana and Moorhead are currently recruiting at a higher level than many other teams in the conference. Doesn't mean all the recruits will ultimately pan out, but it does speak to some of the recent success built into those two programs.

Comment

Augustana picks up a commitment from a JUCO guard with a reputation for defensive play.http://verbalcommits.com/schools/augustana

Comment

Posted it in the 2018 recruiting thread, but Michael Schaefer just committed to the Vikes. I'll post the same thing I posted there:

Guessing this rounds out the 2018 recruiting class for the Vikes, which, on paper, seems to be a group with a ton of potential.

According to Verbal Commits, Schaefer had offers from St. Cloud, Moorhead, SMSU, Northern, Mankato, and USF. I believe he had visited St. Cloud a few weeks ago and Mankato a week or two before he visited Augie.

Based on the offer list, he must be pretty talented.

Anyway, that puts the Vikes 2018 class at:

SD:
        -Trevor Hanson (#1 ranked SD 2018)
        -AJ Plitzuweit (#3 ranked SD 2018)
        -Dylan LeBrun (#5 ranked SD 2018)

MN:
        -Michael Schaefer (#17 ranked MN 2018, and, from what I can tell, currently the highest ranked MN kid to go D2...but I'd imagine that will change before the final rankings come out)
        -Eric Tiedman (#29 ranked MN 2018)

Also, we have the early commitment from MN 2019 Jaeden King, who I gather would've been a sought-after recruit if he hadn't committed early.

Shaping up to be a pretty special group for the Vikes if they can piece things together. Exciting times ahead.

Comment

Posted it in the 2018 recruiting thread, but Michael Schaefer just committed to the Vikes. I'll post the same thing I posted there:

Guessing this rounds out the 2018 recruiting class for the Vikes, which, on paper, seems to be a group with a ton of potential.

According to Verbal Commits, Schaefer had offers from St. Cloud, Moorhead, SMSU, Northern, Mankato, and USF. I believe he had visited St. Cloud a few weeks ago and Mankato a week or two before he visited Augie.

Based on the offer list, he must be pretty talented.

Anyway, that puts the Vikes 2018 class at:

SD:
          -Trevor Hanson (#1 ranked SD 2018)
          -AJ Plitzuweit (#3 ranked SD 2018)
          -Dylan LeBrun (#5 ranked SD 2018)

MN:
          -Michael Schaefer (#17 ranked MN 2018, and, from what I can tell, currently the highest ranked MN kid to go D2...but I'd imagine that will change before the final rankings come out)
          -Eric Tiedman (#29 ranked MN 2018)

Also, we have the early commitment from MN 2019 Jaeden King, who I gather would've been a sought-after recruit if he hadn't committed early.

Shaping up to be a pretty special group for the Vikes if they can piece things together. Exciting times ahead.
          Terrific recruiting class for Augustana. Schaefer very good player. Has some inside and outside game. Plays extremely hard all the time. He will fit right in. Look for Augustana to be toward the top of the conference for years to come.

Comment

St. Cloud Times article on Schaefer's commitment: http://www.sctimes.com/story/sports/...ana/705133001/

Augie fans will enjoy this portion:

Schaefer, a 6-foot-6 forward, chose Augustana over St. Cloud State and Minnesota State-Mankato. They were three of seven Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference schools to offer him a basketball scholarship.

"It (all the consideration) made it harder because every school had different things to offer," Schaefer said.

Augustana won out, he said, because "they laid out the plan for me the best," he said. "It's one of the best academic schools in the Midwest. The coach (Tom Billeter) is really good. They won a national championship (in 2016).

"When I went on my official visit, the players were 100 percent about the team. And when I met with professors and counselors, they showed me that they have a 99 percent job placement after college and a 100 percent medical school placement."

Comment

[QUOTE=MrAugustana;2095980]St. Cloud Times article on Schaefer's commitment: http://www.sctimes.com/story/sports/...ana/705133001/

Augie fans will enjoy this portion:[/QUOTe

Perhaps our favorite basketball official, who knows his way around SCSU can chime in on this blasphemy!

Comment

[QUOTE=vikingfaithful;2096182]
                St. Cloud Times article on Schaefer's commitment: http://www.sctimes.com/story/sports/...ana/705133001/

Augie fans will enjoy this portion:[/QUOTe

Perhaps our favorite basketball official, who knows his way around SCSU can chime in on this blasphemy!
                Well, I'm probably not everyones favorite, but I'll add my $.02 anyway.
                It is never a good look when you lose an in-towner to a rival but I think that he probably wanted to get out of town for his college experience. And he's going to a heck of a college as far as academics go. It would have hurt more if he would have decided to go to Mankato or moorhead, two places more on the same level as SCSU as far as academics goes. Saw him play once last year and wasn't overly impressed, but that's probably why he's a Div. II guy. He's got good length, but seemed disinterested in defense most of the time. But a lot of good high schoolers are.
                Not sure if he's good enough to make up for the lack of ability in all those SD kids that they are going to sign. :)

Comment

Pulling this out of the Adidas D1 Issues thread since it's more of an Augie-focused conversation:

Originally posted by simple as a $3 bill View Post
                  Yes, we could have a lot of fun, or disgust as this story line works its way forward. Just exactly how good will your SD kids prove to be. Tom has missed on a few kids,(everyone does) but this could be colossal if my thoughts on them come to fruition.
                  Serious question: Are your thoughts on them strictly based on the fact that they play high school basketball in South Dakota? Or have you seen any of them play? Not asking combatively, asking out of genuine curiosity.

Comment

Serious question: Are your thoughts on them strictly based on the fact that they play high school basketball in South Dakota? Or have you seen any of them play? Not asking combatively, asking out of genuine curiosity.
                    Strictly based on the fact that they play in SD. MN ordinarily has around 20 kids sign with D1 programs, I think that that alone speaks for the strength of the state as far as basketball goes. Mn hs kids are just playing against a different level of player night in and night out.

Comment

Originally posted by simple as a $3 bill View Post
                      Strictly based on the fact that they play in SD. MN ordinarily has around 20 kids sign with D1 programs, I think that that alone speaks for the strength of the state as far as basketball goes. Mn hs kids are just playing against a different level of player night in and night out.
                      Top-end SD kids aren't as good as top-end MN kids, you're right. Probably won't ever see many SD kids playing at Duke or even in the Big Ten, but there's also more MN schools to pick from, giving the state as a whole more depth. There's over 400 HS basketball teams in MN, compared to about 150 in SD.

That doesn't mean SD kids aren't talented. I don't think it's fair to compare SD to the top MSP metro talent. I think once you get to outstate MN, it becomes a much closer debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post
                        Top-end SD kids aren't as good as top-end MN kids, you're right. Probably won't ever see many SD kids playing at Duke or even in the Big Ten, but there's also more MN schools to pick from, giving the state as a whole more depth. There's over 400 HS basketball teams in MN, compared to about 150 in SD.

That doesn't mean SD kids aren't talented. I don't think it's fair to compare SD to the top MSP metro talent. I think once you get to outstate MN, it becomes a much closer debate.
                        I can concur. The state population advantage is immense and shows in the number oh schools/teams/athletes. I don't know of many SD kids that participate in only one sport, but I would venture to say 50% of kids in Minnesota are a one sport athlete.
                        I was an out state kid playing in 1A Competition so granted not the best judge of high talent. We had a solid program when I was in school, made it to state a few years in a decade. We played a few exhibition games against SD schools during summer and winter practice. One of our assistant coaches had coached at a SD school roughly the same size so we scrimmaged against them every year and we battled. I think we split with them.

Comment

Okay let me change my statement.

If you eliminate the top 50 programs in the state of MN, then SD basketball programs and MN basketball programs are equal to each other. :)

Comment

This is a strange debate. Just using the Twin Cities metro area only, there is a population of 2.9 million equal to SD and NE combined. The rest of the state has 2.62 million for the total of 5.52 million. MN is a large state and a largely populated State that has seen huge growth in recent years. My daughter lives in St.Paul and tells me that MN is a favorite state for refugees and immigrants due to a good job market and benefits. Population wise comparing MN to Iowa, South and North Dakota combined would be a more favorable comparison. South Dakota is a lightly populated state, which is OK with me. Most kids play multiple sports like small town Minnesota kids do. Both South and North Dakota produce good athletes per capita. Really most of western MN and both Dakota's were settled by Northern European immigrants, which makes make's us a lot alike compared to the rest of the USA and a little better by my way of thinking. I am fond of Minnesota as my long deceased grandparents farmed near Lamberton.

Comment

The difference, in my mind, is looking at individual talent vs. looking at the entire high school program's talent overall. Particularly if we're looking at just players who end up in the NSIC. As I've said before, I'm dumb, but not dumb enough to think that the majority of the MN kids who go D1 (particularly mid- and high-major D1) aren't better than most of talent in SD year-in and year-out.

But what we're talking about is kids who choose to go D2 and go into the NSIC.

In that regard, I think the individual talent in SD has been rising, particularly with all of the camps/trainers/etc. that some of these kids spend so much time with year-round. Sure, some high schools in SD would get blown out every year by many of the high schools in MN. But when it comes to individual players, some of these kids are getting out of the lobster tank and surpassing the traditional limitations/expectations.

My guess is that's what the Augie coaching staff is seeing that is pushing them so hard to pursue SD kids. One argument to be made is, "Well, if these kids are so good, why aren't MN schools offering them?" I think that's probably a combination of tuition benefits of keeping MN recruits in-state (I would think but Stanger and some of you guys would know more about that than I do) and just generally keeping kids local. But it also shows you why so many of the schools on the western side of the NSIC (Augie, Northern, USF, Mary, Minot etc.) are starting to focus in on some of the kids from this area. Now obviously Augie and Northern are the only two programs in that list that have had a decent amount of success in the past 3-4 years, but there's obviously some reason they're starting to pursue SD (and ND) kids a little bit more aggressively.

Personally, I think it's going to be great if this works out. Augie has been battling for MN kids for years now and while they've won on more than a few (Cody Schilling, Al Richter, Casey Schilling, etc.), they've also lost on several to the likes of Moorhead, Mankato, Winona, etc. To be able to leave those kids to those programs and focus on in-state, local talent would be incredibly advantageous, assuming the SD talent is at the level necessary to win conference/national championships.

As usual, that's a long-winded way of saying that while some of you (particularly simple) are focused on overall talent of teams, I look at it as more of the individual talent comparison, and I think that's promising due to the increase in opportunities for individuals to improve year-round, even if they are on high school teams that wouldn't compete at the highest levels of MN high school basketball.

Comment

The difference, in my mind, is looking at individual talent vs. looking at the entire high school program's talent overall. Particularly if we're looking at just players who end up in the NSIC. As I've said before, I'm dumb, but not dumb enough to think that the majority of the MN kids who go D1 (particularly mid- and high-major D1) aren't better than most of talent in SD year-in and year-out.

But what we're talking about is kids who choose to go D2 and go into the NSIC.

In that regard, I think the individual talent in SD has been rising, particularly with all of the camps/trainers/etc. that some of these kids spend so much time with year-round. Sure, some high schools in SD would get blown out every year by many of the high schools in MN. But when it comes to individual players, some of these kids are getting out of the lobster tank and surpassing the traditional limitations/expectations.

My guess is that's what the Augie coaching staff is seeing that is pushing them so hard to pursue SD kids. One argument to be made is, "Well, if these kids are so good, why aren't MN schools offering them?" I think that's probably a combination of tuition benefits of keeping MN recruits in-state (I would think but Stanger and some of you guys would know more about that than I do) and just generally keeping kids local. But it also shows you why so many of the schools on the western side of the NSIC (Augie, Northern, USF, Mary, Minot etc.) are starting to focus in on some of the kids from this area. Now obviously Augie and Northern are the only two programs in that list that have had a decent amount of success in the past 3-4 years, but there's obviously some reason they're starting to pursue SD (and ND) kids a little bit more aggressively.

Personally, I think it's going to be great if this works out. Augie has been battling for MN kids for years now and while they've won on more than a few (Cody Schilling, Al Richter, Casey Schilling, etc.), they've also lost on several to the likes of Moorhead, Mankato, Winona, etc. To be able to leave those kids to those programs and focus on in-state, local talent would be incredibly advantageous, assuming the SD talent is at the level necessary to win conference/national championships.

As usual, that's a long-winded way of saying that while some of you (particularly simple) are focused on overall talent of teams, I look at it as more of the individual talent comparison, and I think that's promising due to the increase in opportunities for individuals to improve year-round, even if they are on high school teams that wouldn't compete at the highest levels of MN high school basketball.
                                It is interesting as I feel MSU does not get the in state kids we want, but find our help from Wisconsin, Illinois and other states. We get our fair share of Minnesota athletes but I think maybe we lose out on quite a few to St. Cloud State

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X